Edge's guitar is the most beautiful in the world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scatteroflight

Refugee
I really think so. I've never quite made up my mind who is my favourite guitarist, if I even have one. Edge is of course one, and I think Jimmy Page is the most powerful guitarist, and Andy Summers is the greatest guitarist for atmospherics--somehow you hardly notice him in a lot of Police songs but boy would you miss him if he went away--and there are some others.

But Edge's guitar playing is the most beautiful. After the webcast tonight I am certain about that. It is a combination of the notes he chooses and his tone. The solo in New York, the knocking, careening notes in New Year's Day, the bell-like tones in Stuck--and the guitar in Walk On makes me cry. And though they didn't do it at this concert, I realized some time ago that the guitar in the Fly is one of the most gorgeous things I've ever heard. That solo--it sounds almost like a human voice singing.

------------------
Be a world, child, form a circle
Before we all go under

It's true.
I order you now to go put on 'Love Is Blindness' and don't do anything else but follow Edges guitar.
Bono once said his guitar part in that song is 'one of the most beautiful prayers ever written'.

DO IT NOW!

yes he is amazing. even more so than jonny greenwood imo.

------------------
-death bear

*sigh*

that concert made me fall inlove with edges playing all over again

Mysterious Ways Edgasm city woo hoo!
biggrin.gif

Ahh..yeah MW is just one of the many songs he transforms in concert. I don't know too much about geetars, but I know I love the way that man plays...

I have to agree. Edge may not be the most technically proficient guitarist out there, but in terms of beauty, I have a hard time finding anybody else who can compete with him. The different effects he uses to his advantage always have such a great tone to them - the different shades he uses are almost as varied as the human voice. I love Bono's quote about Edge in Love is Blindness.

MW and Fly live are just incredible - full on sonic assaults but done with real emotion rather than just blasting away. In terms of conveying a mood, Edge I think is at the top of his craft.

Back
Top Bottom