Edge vs David Gilmore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maoilbheannacht said:
How about this, compare the work Edge has done over the past 10 years to what David has done. Based on that, who do you think is the "best"?

thats not fair at all.... It would be best to compare Gilmour's prime to The Edges prime

Maoilbheannacht said:
How about this, compare the work Edge has done over the past 10 years to what David has done. Based on that, who do you think is the "best"?

If we're going to play that game, let's compare the work David Gilmour did between 1969 and 1979 to the work The Edge did in that period! :happy:

Seriously, you can't use that argument because the only real work David Gilmour has done over the past ten years was his solo album, On An Island. The last Pink Floyd album was released in 1994. Over the past ten years, U2 have released HTDAAB, ATYCLB, MDH, and Pop. The only way you could do any real comparison if you took Gilmour's best work and compared it to The Edge's best work, regardless of time period.

Edit: xavi took the words right out of my mouth. :wink:

Sorry guys,:( but this is not really a competition:

GILMOUR BY FAR :drool: :drool: :drool: :heart: Just his work on songs like Comfortably Numb, Time, Money, Echoes, One Of These Days, Dogs, High Hopes, etc alone put Edge's work onto shame :ohmy:

IMHO The Edge is one of the best guitar players, in the way that he added something different, unique, something that you can't separate from the songs that they sounded great :drool: as Pride, Streets, Bad, Sunday Bloody Sunday, I Will Follow, With Or Without You, etc...

but ...

Edge didn't and won't reach the timeless playing of Gilmour :heart: (Comfortably Numb has been voted several times as the best ever guitar solo, avobe other classic ones as Stairway To Heaven, Purple Haze, Child In Time, etc, etc) Also Gilmour is a better songwriter (without AMLOR, of course) and his singing has been far more important than Edge one :sad:

Re: Re: Re: Edge vs David Gilmore

Something else just caught my eye.

ntalwar said:
What works guitarwise in U2 would fail miserably in Pink Floyd, and vice versa.

What about Run Like Hell? Take It Back?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Edge vs David Gilmore

GibsonGirl said:
Something else just caught my eye.

What about Run Like Hell? Take It Back?

yup everytime I hear Run like Hell ... I can't help but think of Pride and where the streets have no name:wink:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Edge vs David Gilmore

xaviMF22 said:

yup everytime I hear Run like Hell ... I can't help but think of Pride and where the streets have no name:wink:

And whenever I hear Vertigo, I think of Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love by Van Halen. :wink: I'm talking rule, not exception.

jimmy page and richard are too far down the list , they are top 5 material easily

Clapton #4 and Peter Green #38????

everyone and their dog knows that Peter Green outplayed Clapton as the best white blues guitarist

ntalwar said:
Well here's another list that people will probably agree with more here, with Gilmour at 10 and Edge at 182:

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_newguitar.html

That list's a lot better. Rolling Stone's one was more of a "let's list all the guitarists that are hip with the kids right now and throw in some real legends for fun" kind of list. This can be said for most of Rolling Stone's lists. I'm still trying to figure out why they placed Jack White in the top twenty.

GibsonGirl said:

That list's a lot better. Rolling Stone's one was more of a "let's list all the guitarists that are hip with the kids right now and throw in some real legends for fun" kind of list. This can be said for most of Rolling Stone's lists. I'm still trying to figure out why they placed Jack White in the top twenty.

it was probably a poll on MTV.

LAGUNA BEACH, SO MUCH DRAMA.

When Edge reach to Gilmour 's age, we will compare works fairly.

U2 will release 3 or 4 albums more , Edge surely will surpass, with new things, in many ways , all of the Gilmour old work .

I give my vote to Edge.

Someone mentioned "Marooned" ?, Jesus, its a very bloody, boring song, in one of the worst PF albums, (the another is, of course, a Momentary).

DarkAcrobat said:

U2 will release 3 or 4 albums more , Edge surely will surpass, with new things, in many ways , all of the Gilmour old work

I somehow don't think this will happen.

Someone mentioned "Marooned" ?, Jesus, its a very bloody, boring song, in one of the worst PF albums, (the another is, of course, a Momentary).

I think Marooned is boring too (I can say the same about the rest of The Division Bell) but I still think it's a beautiful song. People think 4th of July is a boring U2 song, but it showcases The Edge's ability to create atmosphere, which is why I mentioned Marooned to show David Gilmour's ability to create atmosphere.

LemonMacPhisto said:

it was probably a poll on MTV.

LAGUNA BEACH, SO MUCH DRAMA.

:lol:

I'd agree...if MTV even had anything to do with music anymore.

GibsonGirl said:

If we're going to play that game, let's compare the work David Gilmour did between 1969 and 1979 to the work The Edge did in that period! :happy:

Seriously, you can't use that argument because the only real work David Gilmour has done over the past ten years was his solo album, On An Island. The last Pink Floyd album was released in 1994. Over the past ten years, U2 have released HTDAAB, ATYCLB, MDH, and Pop. The only way you could do any real comparison if you took Gilmour's best work and compared it to The Edge's best work, regardless of time period.

Edit: xavi took the words right out of my mouth. :wink:

Are you suggesting that Gilmour's abilities over the past 10 years are no better than a teen just learning to play the guitar?

How about this, HTDAAB vs. Gilmour's latest album.

GibsonGirl said:

:lol:

I'd agree...if MTV even had anything to do with music anymore.

True, they leave that to MTV2.

and to compare teh Bomb to On an Island is insane. It's like comparing Richard Simmons to a plum, both are fruits, but are different types and can't be compared.

Maoilbheannacht said:

Are you suggesting that Gilmour's abilities over the past 10 years are no better than a teen just learning to play the guitar?

What? :huh: You're missing the point. The point is that it is unfair to compare Gilmour's work over the past ten years to The Edge's work over the past ten years, simply because The Edge has written more in the past ten years than Gilmour. The only thing Gilmour has done in the past ten years, like I said, is On An Island. I mentioned 1969-1979 to demonstrate just how unfair your comparison was. In 1969-1979, Gilmour was at his height and Edge was, as you say, a teen learning how to play guitar.

How about this, HTDAAB vs. Gilmour's latest album.

On An Island, and I don't even like that album. Gilmour's guitar in On An Island is absolutely beautiful but his wife's lyrics turn me off completely.

LemonMacPhisto said:

and to compare teh Bomb to On an Island is insane. It's like comparing Richard Simmons to a plum, both are fruits, but are different types and can't be compared.

:lol: Exactly. Two very different styles. I prefer one over the other, but again, you can't really compare the two.

Have you ever listened to that "Edge" guitar on Echoes (between 18:13 - 18:43? ... That's Gilmour doing "Edge" when MrEdge was just a 10 years old kid hehehe :yes:

ponkine said:
Have you ever listened to that "Edge" guitar on Echoes (between 18:13 - 18:43? ... That's Gilmour doing "Edge" when MrEdge was just a 10 years old kid hehehe :yes:

Page one of this thread, man. :wink: But yes, Gilmour has made some great use of delay over the years. He's the one who played the second delayed bass guitar that goes over Waters' bass in One Of These Days. The delay he uses throughout The Wall is great too.

ponkine said:

Well, using that standard, Gilmour also borrowed a lot of stuff from guitarists before him.
"Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief".

ntalwar said:

Well, using that standard, Gilmour also borrowed a lot of stuff from guitarists before him.
"Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief".

I don't think that ponkine was suggesting that The Edge ripped off Gilmour (I thought I read somewhere that Edge doesn't like Pink Floyd anyway?) Just mentioning the fact that both Gilmour and The Edge have used the "minimalist delay" approach to some of their songs. The reason why I brought Echoes up earlier is because a lot of people who aren't familiar with Pink Floyd appear to think that the only thing Gilmour is good at is guitar solos, when he's good at quite a lot of guitar-related things.

LemonMacPhisto said:

True, they leave that to MTV2.

Well, if your going to compare the Edge to Gilmour, and this is what both artist have recently produced, I think this would be the starting point at least.

At this moment, I'll go with Gilmour, but both are unique legends and worthy of all praise thrown their way.

This said, I think it will be more interesting to see what kind of stuff Edge will come up with over the next 10 years, or for however long U2 stick around. I think it's fair to say that he's in the better position do something more inventive than current-day Gilmour is (barring a Pink Floyd reunion).

Agree with all those who have said it's apples and oranges - two completely different guitarists in two completely different bands, who have two different styles of playing.

Could they do an exchange and play each other's catalogues in a technically proficient way? I'm sure both of them could manage that, for what it's worth.

ponkine said:

Best part of Echoes by far :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom