Edge one of the 80's guitar influences?(lemmie know what you think?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodysunday972

War Child
I wanted to ask this as I keep coming across songs from other bands that just have that Edge sound the latest one 80s wise being Shout by Tears For Fears. Ive listened to the guitar solo towards the end and it just has that sound that Edge has made famous......its sort of a U2 question but do you think its just coincidence of the fact that a lot of songs seem to have a sound similar to Edge?

apparently, edge didn't really invent that sound. people usually say that the guitar player from the group television had that sound, or at least a version of that sound, first. I don't know because I've never heard television.
I do know that andy summers from the police and alex lifeson of rush both had similar sounds on certain songs around the same early 80's time period. whether or not they were influenced by the edge I don't know.

I do know that today that sound is universally known as "the edge".

JOFO said:
apparently, edge didn't really invent that sound. people usually say that the guitar player from the group television had that sound, or at least a version of that sound, first. I don't know because I've never heard television.
I do know that today that sound is universally known as "the edge".

Verlaine (from Television) was an influence on Edge, but he didn't exactly have that Edge sound (elements of it perhaps)...Edge drew from many influences to create his own minimalist style, it's hard to put in words but whenever I hear a harmonic or certain notes I can't help but think of Edge. He didn't invent these notes, obviously, but I kind of feel like he owns them now. There are definetely a lot of modern guitarists from bands like The Killers, Coldplay, and Doves that were obviously (and generally openly) influenced by Edge. It's harder to say with 80's bands that were around the same time U2 was getting big, part of it might just be the general 80's sound.

My guitarist-brother claims that "Edge sounds like Edge" right from the 1st record, and that's how true talent is recognized. No matter what effects he uses, he always sounds like Edge and that's the greatest achievement for a guitar player.

I'm sure he had his influences, he didnt live in a bubble, but he always had his own visions and translated those onto the strings.

the soul waits said:
My guitarist-brother claims that "Edge sounds like Edge" right from the 1st record, and that's how true talent is recognized. No matter what effects he uses, he always sounds like Edge and that's the greatest achievement for a guitar player.

I'm sure he had his influences, he didnt live in a bubble, but he always had his own visions and translated those onto the strings.

I agree 100 percent:wink:

kakvox said:
Nothing before sounded like the Edge. Now there are many copycats.

"Heaven up here" - Echo and the bunneymen. Edge before his time....Check it out..

:drool: Echo & the bunnyman

That must be ages ago since I heared them, used to love them (right up there with The Cure and Sister of Mercy) Good times good times :)

It's well known Edge listened to many different kinds of music, ie Eno (Before and After Science), Television, Can (early German electronic/ambient/everything! group) and from those influences, plus his el cheapo echo machine, he got his sound.

Back
Top Bottom