Edge in The Onion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LisaU2

The Fly
In the most recent (today's) The Onion (a humor newspaper):
http://www.theonion.com/nib/index.php?issue=4110&nib=2

The Edge Still Introducing Himself As Such:
MALIBU, CA—U2 guitarist The Edge, born David Evans, introduces himself by his stage name, sources reported Monday. "He showed up at parent-teacher conferences, extended his hand, and said, 'Hi, I'm Sian's father The Edge,'" said Dory Beckman, a second-grade teacher at Malibu Heights Elementary. "I didn't quite understand, so he said, 'U2's The Edge.' Well, I guess with all the records he's sold, he's entitled to call himself whatever he wants." Employees at Gladstone's 4 Fish restaurant said Evans placed "The Edge" on their waiting list when he took his family out for fried scallops last week.

Beautiful! You know you've made it when the Onion does a story on you. Can't wait to email this to all my friends. Thanks for posting it~

:lol: that's hilarious.

The Onion actually did some pretty good research. Edge has a home in Malibu, cause Morleigh is from California. But I'm pretty sure his kids go to school in Ireland. This is after all just The Onion, people.

It's a fake paper, although I've heard some stories about other countries' newslines picking up Onion articles and printing them as fact... They've done a few other U2 spoofs in the past. Here's one, and I'll try to dig up another one that I have in mind. I don't have a link to this one, it was buried in an old email and the link has gone stale. So, I just have the text for you (it was an "infographic"). Their writers sure know how to "twist the knife". But, it's funny nonetheless.

From The Onion, March 6, 2002: Issue 3808

Bono To The Rescue

Called "rock's conscience," U2 frontman and political crusader Bono has met
with everyone from Kofi Annan to Colin Powell. What has he been doing
recently?

• Tirelessly dedicating self to ending Third World debt, no matter how many
magazine covers he must appear on in process

• Restoring humanity's faith in the power and the promise and the
possibility of rock and roll

• Feeding starving Somalis by dividing single loaf into many

• Defeating Bruce Springsteen in epic, five-hour earnest-off

• Vowing to lobby Congress for African aid on progressively larger
Jumbotrons until demands are met

• Shouldering the burdens of a post-Sept. 11 world/Buying another pair of
blue-tinted wrap-around shades

• Revealing that The Edge will betray him three times before cock crows

• Thinking about writing song about deliverance and redemption; also maybe
one more about transcendence

It must be weird hearing yourself called by your real name after so many years of being called something else.

(hence all that paul is dead stuff on the discotheque single)

I might officially change my name to Zero Dude out of interest:| ok maybe not

Yeah, I´ve heard that before, I mean that he uses "the Edge" in hotels and restaurants and such. I think it would be weird if he´d go as Dave Evans.. :) because it´s THE EDGE! :yes: :applaud: :applaud:

LisaU2 said:
It's a fake paper, although I've heard some stories about other countries' newslines picking up Onion articles and printing them as fact...

Yeah, they (The Onion) ran a hilarious story about the Bush Administration's plan to create a 'reality show' for the purpose of selecting a new Iraqi prime minister. A couple Spanish newspapers picked up the story and ran it as fact.

The Bono piece is pretty funny, but the The Edge piece I can see how someone would mistake for 'real' somehow, cuz it's not so funny I think...

Back
Top Bottom