Edge guests with Dave Matthews Band @ Jazzfest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DMB doesn't suck!
Just dont know how can anybody say that about so great musicans....
you dont have to like their music, but they doesnt suck!

really! :)

Getting back on track...

I am not familiar with song Smooth Rider but it was pretty cool seeing Edge improvising (?) and playing like a jam solo. It wasn't some super technical Vai-esque solo and there were Edgey bits BUT it was different from what you'd expect from the Edge and defintely a better duet than Love Comes to Town with B.B.

I bag on the Edge sometimes b/c of his "minimalist philosophy" but its cool to see him actually branch out and jam IN FRONT OF A LIVE AUDIENCE FOR ALL TO SEE and EXPERIENCE, rather than US just merley speculating what kind of live guitar player the Edge is. Great videos and thanks for finding/ posting them! I actually liked the solo!

Last edited:
gherman said:

Why don't you kiss my ass.

People outside the U.S. don't know who DMB is for the most part. Don't start shit w/ me.

I haven't picked on you.

i hadnt heard of the band till i started going on these forums :huh:

I bet there is a hand full who now em in my college.

On the topic of DMB and U2 and whatever connections they may have outside of the event,... Steve Lillywhite has produced DMB's most popular albums and seemingly has a very good relationship with DMB if not a somewhat influential one. Its not surprising to see Dave Matthews at least having had some contact with the band.

The more surprsing thing is that Edge is actually putting himself out there and jamming outside of U2 more than he has in the past (that I can remember). THAT CAN ONLY BE A GOOD THING, unless you think Edge sucks or if he's putting out sucky material.

I am a huge Dave Matthews fan. Ive seen him some like 10 times.

But damn MSN is trying to make me download Internet Explorer. BOOOOOO Microsoft!

Oh well.....

blueeyedgirl said:
Maybe you should also apologise to ivi, because your original comment appeared condescending.

Appearances can be deceiving because it wasn't meant to be like that. I was serious. Its fact. ivi was the one who didn't freak out about it. Actually ivi agreed with me and was cool about it.

DMB is awesome. If you get to see them play Two Step or Bartender live you will get to see whay they are so popular. Dave Matthews is a powerfull song writter.

Flying FuManchu said:

Dave just does a lot of strumming of a lot of chords so I don't know where you get the idea he plays like 30 notes.

I used that as an example. Edge also plays more than 3 notes. Don't take it too literally.

Flying FuManchu said:

Dave just does a lot of strumming of a lot of chords so I don't know where you get the idea he plays like 30 notes.

Dave's guitar playing is not as easy as it looks. And you should try listening to the Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds music. Tim Reynolds is unbelievable on guitar. Besides...try playing the violin like Boyd :)

I was a huge DMB fan for years until I got into U2. Now, I prefer U2, but I still respect DMB's talent.

Flying FuManchu said:

Sorry... there is the misperception that every member of DMB are musically uber talented technically. They are talented but Dave is like the least technical of the group, relatively speaking. He's a great rhythm guitarist though.

Dave is not very technical but he comes up with really cool stuff that I haven't seen anyone else do. Its perfect guitar for his style.

gherman said:

Appearances can be deceiving because it wasn't meant to be like that. I was serious. Its fact. ivi was the one who didn't freak out about it. Actually ivi agreed with me and was cool about it.

No Problem :wave: :nerd: :edge: :giggle:

Back
Top Bottom