Edge does falsetto too???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyChicken

Acrobat
Recently I've noticed that Edge does falsetto as well.

For example:

On Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (Saturday Night Live on November 24th 2004), he sings "And it's you when I look in the mirror. And it's you when I don't pick up the phone" in duet with Bono.

OR

During Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of (Elevation 2001 / U2 Live from Boston), Bono appears to stop singing completely and Edge carries the falsetto by himself.

Now, Edge doing falsetto isn't the most remarkable occurence in existence, but why haven't I ever read anything Edge about falsetto on this mesage board??? Have I not noticed the posts ? Or have I dreampt this up? Or is this a taboo topic?

He does falsetto a lot.

Have you ever checked pleba for any falsetto talk? I know there isn't talk right now goin on about it, but... there could have been in the past lol. :D

Edge has the best falsetto, I don't care what any of you say :heart: THE BEST!

JimmyChicken said:
Now, Edge doing falsetto isn't the most remarkable occurence in existence, but why haven't I ever read anything Edge about falsetto on this mesage board???
Probably because it's so common that it isn't a big deal. Same reason you don't see many "OMG LARRY USES CYMBALS!!!!!" threads.

I'd go as far as to say that Edge has equal or more vocal range than Bono does at this point, although Bono still owns the low end growls and has that certain hint of "soul" to his vocals no one can touch.

ElectricalVoice said:
Listen to the video of sometimes on the DVD. Edge is not even hitting the right tone.

You mean to say he's not hitting the right NOTE. But that is wrong as well. He's singing harmony.

Sorry for my english, then. Not my language. (The word for note is actually tone (spelled like that) in my language :shrug: ).

I'm a musician, so I know what harmony is. I'm not saying that Edge can't sing. I'm just saying that Bono has much more precision.

Last edited:
ElectricalVoice said:
Sorry for my english, then. Not my language. (The word for note is actually tone (spelled like that) in my language :shrug: ).

I'm a musician, so I know what harmony is. I'm not saying that Edge can't sing. I'm just saying that Bono has much more precision.

I wasn't aware it was your second language, sorry.

We'll agree to disagree then, because I'm noticing this off-note/tone you're referring to on the DVD.

I like it whenever Edge use's his vocals in songs - be it Falsetto, lead vocal or backing.
One example that springs to mind is 'Wild Honey'. The only thing that salvaged that song for me was his backing vocals. I've grown to quite like it now because of that.

I have to agree that Bonos falsetto is no where near as good as it used to be, and edge now has the...well.... the edge over bono.The best example of Bonos falsetto i.m.o has to be mysterious ways on the zoo tour, and of course Lemon.

I dont even think Bono could sing Lemon any more.

Re: Re: Edge does falsetto too???

typhoon said:

Probably because it's so common that it isn't a big deal. Same reason you don't see many "OMG LARRY USES CYMBALS!!!!!" threads.

Bono's falsetto is more common than Edge's, but Bono's falsetto gets mentioned from time to time.

So why is Bono's falsetto worthy of mention, wheras as Edge's isn't a big deal?

Last edited:
ElectricalVoice said:
Listen to the video of sometimes on the DVD. Edge is not even hitting the right tone.

Oh wow, you're basing your argument on ONE event? How fair of you.

Edge's has one of the best falsettos around plus his dry delivery is amazing

jick said:
Edge falsetto is better than Bono's nowadays.

Cheers,

J

Jick, while you have every right to make your avatar a " greedy, money-grabbing" Bono (which I find highly offensive, btw), your comments about Bono's voice are erroneous.

Yes, there was a time when even the most faithful of us had to question Bono's vocals. But he compensated by incorporating more soul than most singers have in their lifetimes.

However, on HTDAAB his range - and his falsetto - are back in full power. This is not to say that Edge isn't a good singer or that he doesn't have a good falsetto - but I find that Edge's range is about as good as mine (I'm just not as good of a singer). So that's not saying much. In contrast, Bono's falsetto can get to registers I didn't think possible.

doctorwho said:

However, on HTDAAB his range - and his falsetto - are back in full power.

I don't agree on this one.
Yeah, htdaab is one of the records with vocals filled with soul and power, however on htdaab Bono isn't even close to the falsetto of the 90's (Lemon/The Fly) and therefore I wouldn't say his falsetto are back in power, just listen to "Sometimes..."
"Best you can do is to fake it" part, his voice is close to his limit on "fake it".
But I have to say "Sometimes" is one of my favorite tracks on
"bomb", even if Bono's voice isn't "tenor" it's still fascinating to listen to someone who give you all he's got.
Kinda like Lanois thought of the "I Still Haven't Found" vocal.
I would rather say that his voice power and range has improved greatly in the last 4 years, and that would be back in currently full power to me.
He's never going to get back the voice he had on Achtung Baby or Zooropa.
Which is actually kinda sad...

Oh, there's little doubt that Bono is a better singer - he has better delivery and more strength in his voice than Edge, but I still think Edge might have more consistency and technical efficiency than Bono.

Back
Top Bottom