Edge answers the "sellout" question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edge and Bono are right. Itunes and Ipods are just another form of media for music to be heard and distributed. And U2 is taking it on and using it to promote the new album and their music.

I don't blame people for feeling that U2 have sold out, but truth of the matter is that every band that signs a contract to SELL their music to the general public has SOLD OUT.

U2 are older, wiser and much more savy. Sure the U2 iPod is expensive and yes if they take on corporate sponsorship it goes against their grain, but hell if they don't have sponsorship I guarantee the lowest ticket price will be $85. So it's sort of a win/lose proposition.

Still I don't think U2 will sell their souls for $$$.

I've posted this elsewhere, but to me, selling out is what every band does at some point. And I just don't see it as a bad thing. They could do a commercial for Wal-Mart and I wouldn't care. It doesn't change the experience I have while listening to their music or attending their shows. At some point in your career you need funding to do what you want to do. If they need to raise money via a successful corporation so they can come to Seattle and put on a show in my area, so be it.

I hate how some people complain that anytime a band actually signs a contract they're selling out. It's just stupid. As long as they have freedom to write music as they see fit why should anyone give a crap?

all this new news, new video, interviews, apple presentation, thank GOD!!! About a week without anything.

Times change, got to change along. Otherwise don't bother putting out anymore albums, just go on some kind of retirement concert tour and hope everyone stays interested. Forget the fact that you still want to write and stay relevant, to do that you have to sell out. Bullshit. These guys know what they are doing.
and quite frankly don't give a fuck if anyone else doesn't. Thats what I like.

U2 is selling IPODs on TV... What if they had sold Sony Walkmen back in the 80s/ early 90s? Same concept. Pretty blatant IMO. Hell, even Bono said, they weren't against the idea of selling products. I personally don't care but for the indie rock snobs... IMO it'll only antagonize those fans.

If they ever show up on a BMW commercial, then call me and I might be a little agitated. Until then, this is harmless. Their not getting paid for this, their just promoting their new album and music.

When Sting and Moby did their "selling out" I wasn't offended by it or disgusted by it. IMO, its lame that artists create or are forced to create these artifical and regressive boundaries which limit their exposure and ability to make money. So when Sting did his commercial I was all right with it. When Moby allowed his songs to be used in commercials.... I'm like, "Go, Moby." The music industry is such that its so difficult now for artists to get exposure in the midst of the generic music being pushed more aggressively on the radio and in the media. If commercials are the way for more/ better exposure, then so be it and artists should take full advantage of it. I also don't begrudge an artist of his desire to profit from his work. The negatives are, for instance, the song being associated with the product even though the song is probably trying to convey something else. But that is the trade off for more exposure IMO.

However, artists who have maintained the boundary have that whole "artistically exemplary" thing going on and that builds/ creates respect (REM).

U2 fans have had some pride that U2 hasn't allowed themselves to "sell out the in the worst way." But with the IPOD and Vertigo being used in a commerical to hawk IPODs... IMO U2 fans don't have that "mythical higher ground," to hold onto or be proud of anymore.

So when you as a big time U2 fan hear a Rolling Stones song or a Who song for a commercial and snicker or get critical of the Stones, Who, etc. and how they sold their music for use in commercials... you'll always remember that U2 now has already done the same.

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:
U2 is selling IPODs on TV... What if they had sold Sony Walkmen back in the 80s/ early 90s? Same concept. .

you could be right..except for the fact that U2 won't make money directly from this partnership: they'll make money IF U2 Ipod sells and IF their music sells on itunes music store (the more U2 related product are sold the more they get money...no u2 related product sold? no money: easy)...blaming U2 for selling U2-Ipod is just like blaming a band for selling official merchandise and blaming a band for selling his music through the internet doesn't make sense at all.

Last edited:
I won't be complaining about U2s commercial ventures unless they affect lyrics like:

VERTIGO

Unos dos tres Gibson guitars!

Phillips lightbulbs go down, it’s dark
The jungle is your head
Can’t rule your heart
A Cadillac is so much stronger than
A thought
Your eyes are wide
And though your soul
It can’t be bought
Your mind can wander

Hello hello
I’m at a place called Vertigo
It’s everything I wish I didn’t know
Except you give me Bulgari I can feel, feel

The night is full of holes
As bullets rip the sky
Of Parker's ink with gold plated Cross pen
They twinkle as the
Boys play rock and roll
They know they can’t dance
At least they can't without their Nikes….

I can’t stand the beats
I’m asking for the Citibank chequebook
The girl with crimson nails
Has Gucci round her neck
Swinging to Britney Spears
Swinging to Britney Spears
Oh oh oh oh

Hello hello
I’m at a place called Vertigo
It’s everything I wish I didn’t know
But you give me Bulgari I can feel, feel

Check mated
Oh yeah
Hours of fun with your IpOd…

All of this, all of Walmart can be yours
All of this, all of Walmart can be yours

All of this, all of Mall of America can be yours
Just give me what I want and no-one gets hurt….

Hello hello
We’re at a place called Vertigo
Phillips lightbulbs go down and all I know
Is that you give me Bulgari sunglasses

I can feel your Dell laptop with MSN teaching me how
Your Dell laptop with MSN is teaching me how, how to kneel…

Yeah yeah yeah fly United

Just how did they sell out? NO MONEY CHANGED HANDS!!! U2 basically has apple paying MILLIONS to play their song again and again. In turn Apple gets a song to play. There is no mythical higher ground they fell off of here. I-tunes is a digital download store and digital is currently the only way to even get the song. So it is even less like selling a sony walkman and a whole lot more like: BUY THE NEW U2 song, in music stores now!!!"

You do know the kids won't see it that way don't you? Only the over 20 set think its odd because we're anchient history now. We were around before the internet. A 16 year old in 2008 will not see the difference between this and a "GET THE NEW U2 album, in stores now" spot. This is the future of music. And everyone is calling these people sellouts for taking a chance on it, because the device that plays the MUSIC is in the MUSIC commercial. Traditional means of getting the music out are dead people. You can't sit in a garage, bang on a drum and hope someone will hear you.

Walk on.

Sell Out or no Sell Out.....perhaps it was inevitable due to how huge u2 are.

Even if they have sold out, its not a bad thing.

They are still making music they want to make and they are brilliant role models, id rather them in the spotlight than anyone else.

Its almost hypocritical (Sp?) to complain that U2 is selling out with Itunes.... honestly... who here has not spent at least a week's salary on U2 related merchendise, music, concerts etc. etc.

And where do you draw the line anyway? Some would say that the second you sign a recording contract you've sold out (usually only unsigned artists will say this :wink: ) IMHO the line is drawn when commercial interests take a substantial part of the artistry away from the music (Britney, Simpson, etc.) Judging by the amount of time between U2 albums (and the amazing lyrics for HTDAAB!!) you have to think that U2 is focussed on making great music... and even the most hardcore fan has to admit that they've always played very close attention to the mainstream. So If the I-pod deal is selling out then I'm afraid to say that U2 sold out a long time ago. I believe that its simply a brilliant marketing move and I honestly believe that part of the drive that makes these middle-aged men (who've already conquered the world a few times over) still work hard at their craft is the belief that they can still be the best band in the world which = selling millions of albums which = promotion.

I mean, it's not a pepsi commercial or anything.

Still the baddest mofo band in the world regardless what all the player haters are saying in this forum about selling out. Feels like we are back in 1977 when
"some wanna be punk rockers" were throwing bottles at U2 for singing and playing what they believed in except instead of bottles some of us forum members here are throwing them our remarks.

U2...I still think you guys rock!! Screw the haters!

artdirector

i think it's clear that this isn't a "sell out" -- u2 are already unfathomably rich, and they haven't changed their sound dramatically to get on the radio (think about that abomination Sugar Ray ... early albums are sort of thrash metal things, now they write awful pop songs). but this is a calculated, direct move to increase their exposure, and they've done it by aligning themselves with a massive corporation. yes, u2 themselves are a massive corporation, but at least it's organic, and started in a garage. there is something about the purity of u2's music that initially attracted me to them. i've never had any problems with them wanting to sell their own albums or tickets to their concerts; i am happy when their songs are on the radio because i want more people to listen to them. however, whenever i hear "vertigo" i think of the iPod. i see silhouettes and the Apple logo. this is different, i think, than a u2 video or a u2 song on a trailer for a movie because those are likewise creative fabrications, whereas the iPod is an actual product one goes out and purchases. this association has diluted something of the purity of the music for me, and even the purity of their ambition which is to sell lots of albums and tickets and be on the radio. i'm fine with that, it's just the methods they are now employing to do such things that aren't sitting well with me. it's just different, and i'm uncomfortable with it -- i'm not outright condeming, but something feels wrong about it.

of course, if ticket prices are affordable, that will make it an easier pill to swallow.

Back
Top Bottom