edge and songwriting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scarlet Lady

The Fly
Im not entiley sure but i feel edge may be the main songwriter of the band, is this true?
If so does he write from guitar or keyboard?
Im a lyricist and im plannin to start to write music, thats why im wondering..I play basic guitar and hope to start from that but I hear most decent songwriters write from piano/keyboard..

Hmmm...I'd like an answer to this too. I guessed he wrote a majority of the basic tunes and Larry and Adam just joined in and did their thing and they just let Bono get his lyrics/vocals sorted out...

I know Bono writes a lot too, but it's hard to say b'c they all give each other the credit. I think b'c they all contribute to it.

This is my theory on the majority of U2 songs. The Edge in his spare time comes up with guitar riffs and puts them down on a recorder.(and even maybe adds some piano to some of the songs) He shares it with the group, and each on there own comes up with a bass line, drum line, and lyrics for the song. They then get together and piece the song together, jam together, and share there ideas about the song and where it can go, and what is missing, and what it needs. I read something about edge starting the puzzle, but i also read that Bono has come up with some good guitar proggressions for songs, and Bono brings alot of guitar ideas to the edge also. And then in the studio Eno, or Flood or whoever adds all the rest of the magic.

ah see thats what i fgured edge in his time finds it,
didnt know that bout bono thou, didnt relise he wrote other than vocal melody and lyric.
so edge wrote from guitar and later adds piano?

Yeah, I've read interviews where Edge shows Bono riffs and Bone comes up with lyrics to go with it.

But also Im certain that Adam has come up with bass lines first and then edge adds something to them. For example (scarlet, the ocean, with or without you, exit, 4th of July)

It's a dirty lie!!! :madspit: Paul McGuinness has imposters come in and write and produce the music, then U2 mime the records, Milli Vanilli style. The imposters live incognito on a desert island.

Honest, guv! :ohmy:

:wink:

I sometimes hear that Edge wrote most of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" himself; does anyone have an interview or something that backs that up?

I also read somewhere that Edge wrote "Wake Up, Dead Man" himself, although I don't even remember where, so it probably wasn't too reliable.

Bono writes lyircs, then Edge thinks and says:" Ahh, this could be good", makes some good sounding music with only 3 notes, Adam than adds some transitions and Larry just has to try what fits with Edge's musical geniousness.

"We all bring different things to the table, but we all bring something. I tend to bring music ideas. Bono brings music ideas and lyric ideas. Larry and Adam bring ideas of their own -- lines, drum lines, bass lines...."

--Edge - The Unforgettable Fire Doco.

btw: This is only a quote from my memory, I can't garuntee this is EXACTLY what he said, but it is very close if not exact.

macphisto23 said:
But also Im certain that Adam has come up with bass lines first and then edge adds something to them. For example (scarlet, the ocean, with or without you, exit, 4th of July)
This is true for BTBS, and probably for NYD.

Btw, Edge plays bass on 4th of July and Adam plays guitar :wink:

Back
Top Bottom