Edge 80-94 Vs Edge 94 - Present - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2006, 08:12 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:44 PM
Edge 80-94 Vs Edge 94 - Present

Just intrested in ppls opinions on which edge they preffered? For me, the edge sound up until 94 really stood out. No one else could produce what he was doing, albeit simple, but it was the way it was done.
I feel from POP onwards the edge sound that i grew up with has gone (no pun intended!!) and to be honest, i feel that almost any gutarist could take his place now and you wouldnt notice ( i dont mean visually)

Old 07-15-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 03:44 PM
You can still hear the "old" The Edge sound in songs like City of Blinding Lights and Original of the Species.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:44 AM
gotta go with the old Edge because his work on Acthung Baby and Zooropa are his best to me.

But that doesnt take away from the new Edge, he's still the man.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Achtung was probably Edge's peak and that falls in the old period.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
Babyface

Local Time: 08:44 AM
I prefer the 80-94 Edge - he certainly did have the "edge" then, of course that's not to say he still doesn't now.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:44 AM
Old Edge definitely. Listening to all the albums from Boy - Zooropa is great when you hear how much his sound evolved into that trademark Edge sound of his up until Achtung Baby/Zooropa when he more or less threw it out yet somehow managed to make it sound like him! Make any sense??
Old 07-15-2006, 04:40 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I dont think you could take away Edge and still have U2, there is a lot more copying of the Edge 80s sound going on now....but if you want to hear what id consider to be an older Edge sound listen to the Batman cartoon theme that he did, he still has the old sound in him its just not used as much because hes probably board of using it all the time.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:02 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

If we got more 'Zooropa' and 'Hold Me Thrill Me...' style stuff out of him he'd be even better than he is now
Old 07-15-2006, 07:34 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:44 AM
94 - present I was floored when I heard his riff in End of the World it was amazing and the best I have ever heard him.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:40 PM   #10
The Fly

Ummmm.... Until the End of the World Came out in 1991. I'd have to say Old Edge, because that's when all of the amazing, legendary riffs and such came out; I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Streets, WOWY, In God's Country, Even Better Than the Real Thing, One, UTEOTW, etc. New Edge is certainly quite good, and he still has some great parts, like COBL and Vertigo, but it's not quite the same.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:57 PM   #11
45:33

Just a question to the poster...no offence but isn't obvious what the vast majority of answers are going to be? U2 have only released three albums since 94, not including Passangers. A better question might have been 76-90, 90-00, 00 - Now.

I haven't heard Pop so I won't comment.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:02 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

edge has developed a lot on those great pre 94 tunes though , they sound a lot better now than when they did back in the day.

The Discotheque riff beats anything edge did prior i think. Its even up there with keef richards satisfaction i think.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:44 AM
He's only progressed as a guitar player. It's kind of weird to compare a man's old guitar skills to the skills he's developed during the past ten years. He's the same person and can still play the same songs, but technically better than he used to.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:29 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:44 AM
Edge's peak was 91-98....On Achtung and Zooropa he was bloody amazing, and on Pop, as with Zooropa, he was still trying to do things with his guitar that have you saying, 'that sound isn't supposed to come out of a guitar'.

He has three great moments on ATYCLB - the BD riff, the NY riff, and far and away his brightest moment of the decade thus far, the WILATW solo AND riff(I fucking love those wah-wah-wah, wah-wah-wah's). There was nothing on Bomb, guitar-wise, that I hadn't, in some way or another, heard before.

But Edge on AB-Zooropa-Pop...
Old 07-15-2006, 11:02 PM   #15
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by david
He's only progressed as a guitar player. It's kind of weird to compare a man's old guitar skills to the skills he's developed during the past ten years. He's the same person and can still play the same songs, but technically better than he used to.
Thank you , finally a good and coherent opinion here I can agree , and actually read

Just one thing to compare a musician's past with it's present , it's so bloody ridiculous ....... oh Jeeesus ...... it's so ridiculous it hurts ....... It's worse than compare an athlete training up , compare how he was in january , and how is in august .....

That was definitely THE week of bullshits threads
Old 07-16-2006, 01:50 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by david
very good point. COBL has a good point too - comparing three albums to eight is a bit ridiculous, especially when U2's two "classic" albums fall under those eight (JT and AB).

But yeah, what david said - he's still Edge he's probably BETTER now than he was in the 80's. in fact, I'm certain that he's technically better. better creatively? maybe not. we'll see what the next album brings.

but I agree with vaz....Discotheque is Edge's best riff, period.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:29 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Can't really pick, I liked the vintage chimey sound from the 80's, I liked his sound on AB, and I liked some of the stuff on ATYCLB and Bomb. (BD, In a little while, Kite, LAPOE, Vertigo, ABOY, OOTS)
Old 07-16-2006, 09:07 AM   #18
New Yorker

it not a daft question at all. the two periods in question were completley different in sound, style and creativity. If its fair game to compare U2 from one album to the next, whats wrong wi this? And J_NP if its that ridiculous a thread, whats it say about you that you lower yourself to add to it.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #19
New Yorker

Sorry for the outburst yesterday .

Kinda excited with some alcohol I was , saturday night and all ....

No Offense , if anyone took ...... The thing is I may have used nasty or wrong words , but in a nutshell that was what I tried to say .

The thing is , you just can't compare 2 periods , like past and present of a musician . You can compare anything , the way he was or is playing ..... I myself consider a humble learning musician , if someone came at said that I was better at 2 years ago , that would be like an insult or something . Or like a cousin of mine , he started playin guitar at 12 , today he's 26 and pretty good one if you ask me , that's the thing you come and say he was better when 18 , that's harsh .

In One line : If you say Edge was better in 94 , you throw everything he has done in the trash all these years . Everything the guy has done , tried , experienced , learned , everythin is like throw in nowhere .......

So People can come here and say they prefer his work on Achtung Baby for example than Pop , but say , he was a better guitarrist in 92 than today , it's complete non-sense
Old 07-16-2006, 12:27 PM   #20
The Fly

The Edge simply f*#&ing rocks IMO. Past or present.