Echo and the BONOmen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tackleberry

War Child
I jsut recently became a little infatuated with Echo and the BUnnymen. My friend who is also a large U2 fan turn me onto them by saying, "This guy sounds creepily like BOno." Alas, I have agreed because listening to this guy reminds me of early Bono.

Now, I think that this band was a large influence for U2, but my question concerns the fact that Echo has basically dropped off the face of the planet. Do you think that Echo's inability to change direction musically could have caused them to falter in the same way that U2's experimentation caused them to soar??

Also, who here also likes the BUnnymen??

I've heard them on the New Wave channel here at my house. They're interesting (I get a kick out of their name).

And in response to your question...maybe that's it, I'm not sure.

It's a no-win situation for a lot of artists when it comes to changing their sound-people will sit there and complain that an artist isn't changing their style, that their music is all the same and getting boring-and then when the artist does experiment, those same people hate the experimentation and are like, "They should go back to their original style!"

But yeah, I don't know. That's something to ponder.

Angela

Large influence for U2? hardly, they came out about the same time, so no one was influencing U2. In fact they had a running feud. Echo sad some unflattering stuff about Bono and vice versa.

Dane-Dane said:
Large influence for U2? hardly, they came out about the same time, so no one was influencing U2. In fact they had a running feud. Echo sad some unflattering stuff about Bono and vice versa.

Yeah, didn't he say that Bono looked like a sodden mountain goat or something?

Back in the day, I think early 80's , they were frequently referred to in the same breath by music journalists, u2 and echo. I think I recently read some article in that NME U2 special where there where some comparisons.

The Bunnymen had some great songs in the first half of the 1980's...often they were lumped into the same group as U2, Simple Minds, REM, Big Country, etc.

Obviously, U2 in the intervening 15-20 years has put some distance between themselves and their peers of that time, particularly the Bunnymen (who split in 1987 and reformed a decade later with a mediocre comeback album). Apparently the Bunnymen have major jealousy issues because during the Elevation tour (when Echo had a new album themselves), they were slagging off U2 in literally EVERY interview I read about them. Pretty sad, really. Anger over getting dropped from their label I suppose, or that they were playing a 1/2 filled Metro in Chicago the same night as U2's 6th sold out show at the United Center. In any event, you could argue (probably rightly) that U2's best days are behind them, but the Bunnymen are definitely completely done being a relevant musical act.

I was into Echo back in 1985 after Ocean Rain had come out. Tremendous album. Unfortunately, I think Echo felt like they never got the credit and recognition they deserved so they took it out on U2 and other bands in the press.

Ocean Rain would still make my top 100 albums of all time, though.

Back
Top Bottom