E Storm, W In The Skies, F Cars, Smile . Should they have been on HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Bomb is such a mish mash probably all of them could go in there somewhere, really.

I mean, if Love & Peace were a U218 or soundtrack single or something, and I said "would it fit on Atomic Bomb?" you'd probably think "It sounds nothing like anything on there, where the fuck would it fit?"

Electrical Storm, I didn't appreciate then – and I haven't so since then. It was fine, to get new stuff on the "Best Of", but the problem is, that ES simply doen'st stand up with the tunes published on this format … and it doesn't stand up with the tunes, U2 left off the "Best Of". In other words: With this strategy, ES with its strange, pointless chorus has become the low point of the album. On HTDAAB it wouldn't have been better, being worse than all of the album's stuff- It has't been reworked too stage ("Hands" at least got the chorus) but I think, I won't miss it.
WITS is different from the sounds on HTDAAB – this time it fitted a collection ("U218") though. And as written before, I'd estimate it much, much higher than ES – and hope it to be a staple for the next tour.
Fast Cars is fun and would have been much better as a B-Side, not to be included on the album, but to be played live on party nights.
Smile is a demo, not so much a finished tune, in my ears. All the stuff on HTDAAB is much better here, too.

Strangely, I have always loved Electrical Storm and I have really appreciated all the ATYCLB outtakes, especially Smile, and Mercy. I see Mercy fitting into the Bomb, and maybe Smile, but not ES and certainly not WITS. I LOVE Fast Cars but have always felt that it shouldn't be the last song on the album, since Yahweh seems to be the right song to end it.

I agree that Fast Cars does not work as HTDAAB's last song. But it could have fit perfectly almost anywhere else on the album.

Window In The Skies is a perfect fit for ATYCLB in my opinion, mostly due to the light-heartedness of it.

Electrical Storm I'm not too sure of. It could probably fit on to either HTDAAB or ATYCLB (TGBHF). Smile I haven't heard yet.

Really though, if U2 wanted to include these songs on an album, they could probably make it fit.

COBL_04 said:
Well for starters neither Electrical Storm nor Window in the Skies could have been on Hutdab because they weren't mad in the same era.

Fast Cars was on Hutdab in some countries, and Smile was a outtake from memory.

Err...Original Of The Species was written for All That You Can't Leave Behind back in 2000 yet it made the album.
Electrical Storm was written in 2002 and didn't make the album...but that was probably because it was released earlier than the rest of How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

i'm all for dismantling dismantle and re-arranging it. I think given my 5 posts to date I won't drop that bomb yet by posting my ideal HTDAAB. I will say that smile is a better closer than Yahweh though. I'm just contributing, not trying to incite a riot here.

I listened to smile yesterday evening, I love this song and think it should have been on the album. But not as closer. I prefer Yahweh as closer. Thus, I am not very excited about Fast Cars being the last song, though I really love Fast Cars, just not on this particular position on the album.

Earnie Shavers said:
The Bomb is such a mish mash probably all of them could go in there somewhere, really.

I mean, if Love & Peace were a U218 or soundtrack single or something, and I said "would it fit on Atomic Bomb?" you'd probably think "It sounds nothing like anything on there, where the fuck would it fit?"

good point

and whoever said replace C-Table with E-Storm, I'm down with that. though if we're rewriting history then E-Storm should not have been on the Best Of cuz it'd be dumb to release a song on a Best Of and then an album

Smile? yeah nice tune, I dunno, it doesnt strike me as totally amazering

F-Cars should have been an album track. it's tight. although I might prefer X-Wine. I dont know. F-Cars has more flavor, but X-Wine is more energetic, somehow (X-Wine? XTREME wine?)

W-Skies is tight, but I think it would be a bit much to be on the same album as O-Species. I'm not sure.

coolian2 said:
C-Lights or V-Go to open the album though?

I'm fine with V-go opening the album really, though I can see the argument for C-Lights. L-Else could be a good opener too, though its mood doesnt fit the majority of the album. in terms of establishing the album mood, C-Lights or V-go are both good choices

Back
Top Bottom