Dumb question: Is everyone's JT CD like this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deltau922

War Child
Is the Exit track supposed to begin with the "Oh Great Ocean, Oh Great Sea..." coda from One Tree Hill? I mean, it's fine when listening to the album straight through, but kinda stinks when I want to put One Tree Hill in a separate playlist on my ipod.

It's not like that on everyone's. I have the standard U.S. issue, and it is fine.

There was another thread somewhere that talked about this at great length, although I can't find it at the moment.

Reggie, do you mean 'fine' as in not like mine?

Anyway, i just took the tracks into sound edit and did a little cutting and pasting. JT was the first CD I ever bought, and I always wondered why it was like that.

I think the older pressings were screwed up. Mine is incorrect but my Gold cd is correct.

My (old) European (German/Austrian) version is fine too, i.e. One Tree Hill ends with "Oh great ocean..." and Exit starts with, well... nothing.

:)

Marty

my gold version is correct, also... as worn down as it is (thank you cd doctor :up: )

but for some reason when i burned the cd to disc, it has the "oh great ocean..." track connected to exit.

i think the way CDs are made, the extra part was meant to be part of the lead-in from the previous track (the negative seconds before the next track), but for some reason when burned to mp3 it takes the negative seconds and puts it forward instead of backwards? :shrug: i dunno it's the only thing that kinda made some sort of sense to me.

But OHHH U2s production was so fantastic before and this new album has such bad production.....As I said before there is flaws on every CD good to see people that are looking at the old material and finding some.

I find the new CD while not perfectly mastered definately one of U2s best mastered CD.

Funny thing is, I acctualyl like having that peice at the beginning of Exit more than at the end of OTH. Maybe it's just because i'm used to it being that way, but whenever I listen to Exit, I love having that beautiful vocal verse before Exit slowly builds up in the headphones. God damn, love it so much!

Lancemc said:
Funny thing is, I acctualyl like having that peice at the beginning of Exit more than at the end of OTH. Maybe it's just because i'm used to it being that way, but whenever I listen to Exit, I love having that beautiful vocal verse before Exit slowly builds up in the headphones. God damn, love it so much!

Me too. For the longest time, I thought that was actually supposed to be part of Exit.

I got my cop of Joshua Tree back in 1993 through some CD club so I have no idea when it was originally pressed and manufactured, but it's perfectly normal.

Cept for the fact that I have to turn it way up to listen to it at a decent sound level.

AtomicBono said:

Me too. For the longest time, I thought that was actually supposed to be part of Exit.

I think it sounds good as a lead-in to Exit, but my problem was having One Tree Hill on a separate playlist. It definitely needs that coda. Plus when they played it live, they did the coda whether or not Exit was the next song.

isn't boy like that too?
on my version of Boy, An Cat Dubh and Into the heart are kinda blended together
Its like the outro of An Cat Dubh is the intro to Into the Heart

"An Cat Dubh" and "Into The Heart," so you know, are supposed to bleed together; they're really one slightly longer piece. That is intentional.

As for the whole "One Tree Hill"/"Exit" deal...well, yeah. It's ALWAYS been a problem. From what I've been able to discern simply by listening to various versions of the album owned by various people and purchased at various points in time, earlier pressings of the CD seem to be pretty much okay. A great deal, though (from the '90s, as far as I can tell), seem to be fucked up. Post-Pop versions (literally every single one I've encountered) have been perfectly fine.

Now, I've only listened to like ten or so different copies of the album, so I could be totally wrong. TOTALLY wrong. Still, that's what I've been able to discern. The vinyl versions being jived up is news to me, though--I find that fascinating and, at once, unforgivable. Madness, I say.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom