Drumming in Vertigo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great effort there. Shame Larry plays a stripped down version.

I think the dude in the vid is ad libbing a fair amount, and is nowhere near the origianl drum part. So dont go appreciating the part too much based on that clip

My take on the whole idea of people criticizing Larry's drum parts as being simple is that they are more interested in making the individual instrument some kind of star of the track. Like the whole guitar hero thing. I personally have always found it extremely annoying to have a song interupted or derailed by some egotistical instrument part whether it be guitar, drums or what not. Most drumming annoys the crap out of me when the fills and flourishes overpower the song and the same goes for the guitar solos. I can appreciate the virtuosity of the musician but I want to hear the song not some competition to see which member of the band is the biggest virtuoso. I love the way that the instruments and voice in U2 songs don't ride roughshod over each other and they compliment and support each other. Larry's goal is to serve the song not be a star drummer. Kind of like character actors in movies. They'll never be leading man or woman but the films wouldn't be the same without them and they are usually better actors than the stars. Larry doesn't aspire to be the best drummer in the world, just the best drummer for U2 which is more about teamwork than about being a show off. After all he still doesn't even call himself a professional drummer as evidenced by several interviews during this last tour. He just hits things for a living.

Dana

if you want to here musical excellence then I'd suggest you'd listen to Frank Zappa
he gathered some of the finest musicians and wrote parts to suit their abilities

as U2 don't work like that listen to them for what they are

My take on the whole idea of people criticizing Larry's drum parts as being simple is that they are more interested in making the individual instrument some kind of star of the track. Like the whole guitar hero thing. I personally have always found it extremely annoying to have a song interupted or derailed by some egotistical instrument part whether it be guitar, drums or what not. Most drumming annoys the crap out of me when the fills and flourishes overpower the song and the same goes for the guitar solos. I can appreciate the virtuosity of the musician but I want to hear the song not some competition to see which member of the band is the biggest virtuoso. I love the way that the instruments and voice in U2 songs don't ride roughshod over each other and they compliment and support each other. Larry's goal is to serve the song not be a star drummer. Kind of like character actors in movies. They'll never be leading man or woman but the films wouldn't be the same without them and they are usually better actors than the stars. Larry doesn't aspire to be the best drummer in the world, just the best drummer for U2 which is more about teamwork than about being a show off. After all he still doesn't even call himself a professional drummer as evidenced by several interviews during this last tour. He just hits things for a living.

Dana

Yeah, but due to either physical issues or just sheer laziness, even Larry doesn't play his own songs like he used to. Watch the drumming on With or Without You on R+H and compare to how it is drummed in recent years. Big difference, and those extra "fills and flourishes" on the 1987 version do complement the song.

His drumming has been extremely unimaginative and ordinary in recen tyears, compare Pop, AB or even October to what he's doing now, it's just not as interesting, and the songs suffer because of it.

Yeah, but due to either physical issues or just sheer laziness, even Larry doesn't play his own songs like he used to. Watch the drumming on With or Without You on R+H and compare to how it is drummed in recent years. Big difference, and those extra "fills and flourishes" on the 1987 version do complement the song.

His drumming has been extremely unimaginative and ordinary in recen tyears, compare Pop, AB or even October to what he's doing now, it's just not as interesting, and the songs suffer because of it.

Yet another U2/Band member bashing thread, now that unimaginative

All or nothing, thats what i say. I expect 100% from each band member.

there's nothing all that special about Larry's drumming at Achtung Baby
they added a lot of percussion to enhance the rhythm section quite successfully though

Larry's drumming on October is in the foreground
but again he plays nothing beyond basic
he does play louder though :up:

Pop: basically the same as with Achtung Baby but added loops and samples instead of percussion

sure I like Larry's drumming more on some albums than on others (Unforgettable Fire: I dig) but it's a bit silly to make out that on the other albums he's lazy, unimaginative or an invalid

I think Larry took quite a conscious decision to change his approach on With and Without You
the drum is more in the background now which he probably feels suits the song
now, I don't necessarely agree
but I also don't know why it would be bad

Did you actually want to discuss Larry's drumming or no ?

But toscano, there's nothing to discuss! Larry is an absolutely perfect drummer!*

* Note sarcasm. :wink:

Anyway, back to the video. I like the feel this guy has. He turned a fairly uninteresting drum beat into something that is actually fun to watch. The only thing I don't like is the sound of his cymbals. It may just be YouTube's audio compression, though...

there's nothing all that special about Larry's drumming at Achtung Baby
they added a lot of percussion to enhance the rhythm section quite successfully though

Larry's drumming on October is in the foreground
but again he plays nothing beyond basic
he does play louder though :up:

It's basic by black-page standards, but it's more interesting by Larry/U2 standards in my opinion

Pop: basically the same as with Achtung Baby but added loops and samples instead of percussion

But again, there's more thought being put into it, and again even though basic by some standards, more adventurous by U2 standards.

sure I like Larry's drumming more on some albums than on others (Unforgettable Fire: I dig) but it's a bit silly to make out that on the other albums he's lazy, unimaginative or an invalid

Well, I can't think of one drum part on ATYCLB or HTDAAB which sticks in my mind, but that's just me I guess. And no, the purpose of the albums is NOT to see which one has the best drum parts, I know, but once the songs and lyrics are ingrained, I like to listen for various instrumental things, drum parts, bass parts, and there's just not much there on the drum side of interest in recent years.

I think Larry took quite a conscious decision to change his approach on With and Without You
the drum is more in the background now which he probably feels suits the song
now, I don't necessarely agree
but I also don't know why it would be bad

I think it was a conscious decision too, but would guess maybe for physical reasons more than anything else. It's not "bad", but I'll take listening to the 87 version over any other.

meh the only drum parts of Larry that immediately come to my mind are Sunday Bloody Sunday, I threw a brick ..., A sort of homecoming, Hawkmoon 269 and Desire

A sort of homecoming being the only one that I would call imaginative, though I would call Sunday Bloody Sunday inspired
the rest probably stand out for being as basic as they come

I don't see how added production touches and percussion reflects on Larry's drumming

I actually do really like his drumming on Crumbs ... :up:

meh the only drum parts of Larry that immediately come to my mind are Sunday Bloody Sunday, I threw a brick ..., A sort of homecoming, Hawkmoon 269 and Desire

A sort of homecoming being the only one that I would call imaginative, though I would call Sunday Bloody Sunday inspired
the rest probably stand out for being as basic as they come

I don't see how added production touches and percussion reflects on Larry's drumming

I actually do really like his drumming on Crumbs ... :up:

umm....not sure what your standards are as far as "imaginitive" drumming goes...but, that tom rhythm you hear in UTEOTW is great, and actually adds a lot to the song...if you fail to see the connection between Larry's talent as a drummer and that then, well...it's no wonder you find him so uninteresting. :shrug:

same goes for any other percussive backing track in any other U2 song...Larry is a fine drummer....he's actually quite brilliant on many occasions...

and, actually, I'd like to make one thing clear...U2's music doesn't really fit crazy ass drumming like some of you are probably used to seeing from bands like Rush....U2 music just doesn't fit there...:shrug:

U2's music doesn't really fit crazy ass drumming like some of you are probably used to seeing from bands like Rush....U2 music just doesn't fit there...:shrug:

It fit fairly well on Rejoice...no, it's not "crazy ass drumming" by any means, but it's a damn sight more entertaining than his godawful drumming on, say, a song like All Because Of You.

I miss the Larry who would contribute artistically to the music. I don't care much for the one who provides basic beats and nothing more. :sad: RIP Larry Mullen Jr circa 1980-1991. Hopefully these "Moroccan influences" will bring out something more.

Larry's not a terrible drummer, just nothing special. Occasional moments of doing something interesting, but generally just bland. Compared to most drummers, he's average. I've talked to fellow U2 fans as well as a U2 fan drummer, and most people agree he's nothing special.

He and Adam both fall into a category of "not bad, occasionally interesting, for the most part average."

Larry's not a terrible drummer, just nothing special. Occasional moments of doing something interesting, but generally just bland. Compared to most drummers, he's average. I've talked to fellow U2 fans as well as a U2 fan drummer, and most people agree he's nothing special.

He and Adam both fall into a category of "not bad, occasionally interesting, for the most part average."

QFT.

Although, he is occasionally absolutely brilliant - see WOWY, Streets, I Threw A Brick - and some of the things he plays are quite complex (Miracle Drug).

But generally, and more recently live, meh for the most part.

His main talent is fitting a good percussive rhythm to a song without that rhythm becoming too overbearing or detracting, instead complementing the song. (which is what drummers are meant to do anyway)

Maybe Adam...sorry, not Larry...Larry is a great drummer....he occasionally absolutely brilliant....Ok maybe a little uncreative at times...but that's as far as I will go :shrug:

Larry is the anchor of the band. I don't know about anyone else but it's generally not considered beneficial for your anchor to be skipping all over the ocean floor. Larry's job is not to be an interesting drummer but to provide a solid bed for the others to jump on. :wink: Edge has said repeatedly that his style wouldn't exist if it weren't for the way Larry and Adam play. It is really meaningless to try to separate a particular intrument in a U2 song for critique because they write so interdependantly.

As for the live performances, while I might accept that Larry may make some of those changes for physical reasons as in being able to play for the whole tour without crippling himself I find the accusation of laziness to be pretty groundless.

Dana

You know who is the best drummer in rock/R&B history? Why, it's one Mr. Richard Starkey of Dingle, Liverpool. What is his technical mastery of the instrument? WHO THE F*** CARES???

The Beatles had the best songs, the best song-writers, and the best drummer. Ringo's drums never interfere with a recorded song, and they added power when needed. His style is also very distinctive -- you can usually tell it's him, that thump of his is unique.

Larry, his own #1 critic, is an fairly unschooled rock drummer. He plays from the heart and from practice and from inclination, not from the "How To Drum and Sound Like you're Good even though you're completely Unimaginative" text of music.

Just like Ringo.

Throw a rock in the air, you'll hit someone who drums "better" than Ringo did and Larry does. But who are they? Oh, wait -- NO ONE CARES!!!

Edge has said repeatedly that his style wouldn't exist if it weren't for the way Larry and Adam play. It is really meaningless to try to separate a particular intrument in a U2 song for critique because they write so interdependantly.

I think this point by Dana is the best anyone's made yet. The creation of a song is an interdependent process in U2. Larry is part of that process. Thus, by definition, his drums are part of U2's sound.

I actually couldn't care less how Larry drums the old songs these days, as I seldom get excited by performances of old songs. But when he plays the newer ones, he's amazing and I wouldn't want him to change a thing.

Back
Top Bottom