Drowning Man: A Lost U2 Classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
All too often we forget about track #5 on U2's third LP, War. Drowning Man is a stunningly beautiful, gorgeous, powerful ballad. I have never understood why U2 themselves never pushed the song harder. I really think, had they released it as a single, it would have been very successful - after all, NYD was very successful and the two songs have similar atmospherics. Not only could it have been a successful single, but more importantly, I think it could have become a U2 classic, as recognizable as many of their other hits. I think they could have easily made it a live staple, one of those ballads that make all the lighters in the arena light up at the same time as soon as the first chord is played, much like WOWY or One(not neccessarily saying that it's better than those songs). I don't see how it wouldn't have been embraced by fans when it has lyrics as universal, poetic, and heartfelt as:

"Hold on, hold on tightly.
Hold on, and hold on tightly.
Rise up, rise up with wings like eagles.
You run, you run.
You run and not grow weary.

Hold on, and hold on tightly.
Hold on, hold on tightly
This love, lasts forever.
Now this love lasts forever"

not to mention the stunningly beautiful acoustic guitar mini-solo that immediatly precedes the above lyrics.

This is absolutely a lost U2 classic that, had it been given more exposure by the band itself, could have been huge.

Under-rated yes, but if I was to pick songs that weren't sufficiently pushed I would probably put Red Hill Mining Town and Heartland above Drowning Man

Indeed! A U2 masterpiece. The guitar work is sublime and Bono turns in a stunning performance on vocals. I've loved this song since 83.

I love this song. The strings are utterly beautiful. Bono wrote this song for Adam, at a time when the divisions within the band had never been wider. Drowning Man has always been one of my favorites.

i think it's sort of a venture into the 'soundscapes' of TUF, and half of the people who hear it will love it and the other half will hate it. I think the song is wonderful, Bono does sing it well. I love the UABRS recording of 11 O'Clock Tick Tock because Bono sings 2 lines of this song during that performance!

Yeah, this is a great song, but it gets so lost on the War album. I think that is why it tends to be underrated. I think it might have fit better on October.

That song is simply so incredible. A gem. One of my favourite U2 songs.

namkcuR: All too often we forget about track #5 on U2's third LP, War

We? ;)

"War" is my favourite U2 album, probably for the fact that I like every song on it, not one track gets skipped.

Other albums occasionally get a skip here and there.

one of my favorite tunes off WAR. incredible. so emotional, especially after I found out it was basically for Adam.

Back
Top Bottom