Drowning Man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RademR

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Heard this song for the first time in almost a year....it's so incredible!!! I forgot how amazing it was.

I have some issues with the first verse (the way it's sung), but after that I just love it. The vocals, lyrics, and music are brilliant.

Just thought I'd bring it up to see what you guys thought about it. It doesn't get discussed much here.

another thing...I heard this song was based around Adam's feelings of leaving the band after "October" was released. Is there any truth to that?

I'm not sure maybe, but the song itself is one of the best things on War, Bono's vocal sounds much more mature than the rest of the album and the violin at the end is amazing, so melodic and soothing.

RademR said:
another thing...I heard this song was based around Adam's feelings of leaving the band after "October" was released. Is there any truth to that?

I think I read that this was the band's way of reaching out to Adam, as he felt isolated, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Brilliant song, whatever the case. One of the best on War.

Sadly never performed live this one, a missed opportunity because its a gem.

DevilsShoes said:
I'm not sure maybe, but the song itself is one of the best things on War, Bono's vocal sounds much more mature than the rest of the album and the violin at the end is amazing, so melodic and soothing.

ya, the violin is the perfect ending to the song :drool:

I never knew about that 11 O'clock tick tock snippet Axver but I think that Salt Lake City claim is incorrect. Anyone have the bootleg?

Anyone think this could have developed into something special on stage?

i've always wanted to hear that song live as it is one of my very favorites. The version of 11 O Clock Tick Tock I have heard with the snippet, though brief, is really awesome.

This is the kind of song I'd like to see U2 surprise their audience with. I wish they'd do that once in a while... just play something thy have never played before and surprise everyone.

Clawgrabber said:
i've always wanted to hear that song live as it is one of my very favorites. The version of 11 O Clock Tick Tock I have heard with the snippet, though brief, is really awesome.

This is the kind of song I'd like to see U2 surprise their audience with. I wish they'd do that once in a while... just play something thy have never played before and surprise everyone.

yeah, I wish they would do that too, but unfortunately there's many people at their concerts who only know "Pride" so they have to cater to them instead of the people who are actually big fans. :madspit:

Brilliant. When you break down the structure of the song, there is really not much there in the academic sense - some harmonics and a bass riff, but the performance and dynamics just carry it.

I cannot fathom how a song like this could come about and work so well. This is what U2 used to excel at before they tried to become "songwriters" in the proper sense.

Adam named Drowning Man his favourite U2 song in 1985...though he says he has lots of favourites in the U2 catalog. Edge claims Adam listens to their older albums more than the other guys.

DevilsShoes said:
I never knew about that 11 O'clock tick tock snippet Axver but I think that Salt Lake City claim is incorrect. Anyone have the bootleg?

There's no bootleg of that gig - it would make life much easier if there were! I didn't even have the current incomplete set until sometime last year. All we know is based upon the Deseret News's review - which has dubious credibility - and the accounts of people who were there. On U2VT, I only added the non-controversial claims to the actual setlist, the sort of stuff that was in the standard War set and is confirmed by multiple accounts. I left all the controversial, possibly inaccurate stuff to the comments. I personally don't believe a word of the claims - given U2's setlist pattern at the time, I do not see why they would pull out Drowning Man, The Refugee, or some brand new song for one gig in Utah.

gman said:
No pun intended I hope Axver:wink:

:lol: Good catch.

You wouldn't believe how often these errors crop up in the media Axver, I once saw Bad referred to as Surrender, and this was at a Zoo TV gig.

DevilsShoes said:
You wouldn't believe how often these errors crop up in the media Axver, I once saw Bad referred to as Surrender, and this was at a Zoo TV gig.

:lol:

I have a minor obsession with finding any information I can about pre-War sets, especially those in the pre-Boy era. One day, I came across an article from ... I think Record Mirror on a gig U2 played in England in December 1979. It mentioned a few of the songs played at the gigs, one of which was "Boy Meets Man". I initially thought this was a reference to Twilight ... but no, Twilight is mentioned in the very same sentence!

... or maybe this was the amazing 20 minute Twilight and the journo thought it had segued from Twilight into Boy Meets Man? :wink:

We (Zoo Station) just started working it into our set. First we did it acoustic and then one night we just went for it with a full band arrangement and it has become one our favorite songs to play live. It makes the hair stand up on my arms. Next time we record a show I'll make sure it's in the set and we'll post it. Great great great song. Glad to see the love in this thread for it.

One of the bulwarks of War. Fantastic song. I also would love to see it live. Who knows...besides the old standards, War hasn't really been delved into on recent tours. With the emergence of a few Boy songs and Gloria from October, maybe they'll poke around with War on this next tour. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom