Drowned World Tour rivals Popmart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foray

Rock n' Roll Doggie
For all those who couldn't afford a Madonna ticket and watched it on tv instead, what did you think?? I'm totally blown away by it. I became a Madonna fan only after Music came out, cos that album sorta told me that she is an artiste and not just an exhibitionist who can't sing. It's the whole Madonna persona that she has built up - it's so complex, therefore captivating. She's a mellowed mother, a cultural icon, trendsetter, serious and frivolous, loves and hates her fans, aggressive business woman... all rolled into one.

Yes? Yes? Madonna, anyone?

4a

the drowned world tour is a great show. i defintly think it's on the same par as popmart. they are both visually stunning shows with good (though very different) music to back them up.

before you people rip on me, i think you should know that i've tirelessly defended the elevation tour as being the best tour of 2001 at my madonna forum. they all think the drowned world tour was the best, but i've chosen to make several enemies by siding with U2.

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"A word I've always liked more than happiness is joy. Happiness is a mood that comes and goes, whereas joy is just there." -Bono

The CIRCLE only has one side.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

In my dream I was drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows they learned to swim...

I think Madonna rocks, but I have never seen her in concert, nor seen the telecast of the concert in question. I am sure it was great though. She is a natural born performer. But i can't imagine anyone being better than U2.

I have to say I was totally bored by the concert I saw on TV. If I had been in the audience, having paid $100 (or whatever) for a ticket - and had to watch 3 minute videos every few songs or so (so she can change clothes into something even more bizarre and silly) - that would insult me as a fan and as a consumer. True, she is quite the performer - but I thought that show bordered on pretentious and self-centered. No matter what Madonna says about how she wishes the music would speak for itself - that's hard to accomplish when you are flying through the air Crouching Tiger-style, or wearing Bjork-like geisha outfits. Also, the whole "fuck off, motherfuckers!!" thing was just unnecessary.

I love Madonna equally as U2, she and them are both joint no1 to me.......I WOULD SOOOOOOOOOOOOO luv a bootleg tape of Drowned World but cannie get it over here.........
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
icon9.gif

*sniff sniff*

Madonna rocks ass
Bono rocks ass

I saw the Drowned World tour, as a matter of fact I saw the show here in Detroit (the one they showed on HBO). I thought it was pretty decent for my first time seeing Madonna, but at the end of the night, U2 puts on a better show. They put more heart into it, while Madonna just wants a spectacle and a load of good press.

------------------
Cut out the poetry
Let's hit the main artery
No time for a tourniquet
Let the colour's all run out of me

I love Madonna (especially her last two records) and I would've loved to have seen her on tour. But, alas, I can only feed one obsesson at a time and U2 wins this one hands down
icon36.gif

Hello,

I haven't seen the show, nor have I seen Madonna live. I only want to throw in some (useless?) trivia. The director of the Drowned World Show was Hamish Hamilton. Where have I heard that name before?
wink.gif

Oh, and Q magazine reviewed her DVD last month (and they also reviewed Elevation 2001, although by a different reviewer). Basically, Madonna's review mirrored some of the complaints by U2 fans regarding the editing.

C ya!

Marty

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
I have to say I was totally bored by the concert I saw on TV. If I had been in the audience, having paid $100 (or whatever) for a ticket - and had to watch 3 minute videos every few songs or so (so she can change clothes into something even more bizarre and silly) - that would insult me as a fan and as a consumer. True, she is quite the performer - but I thought that show bordered on pretentious and self-centered. No matter what Madonna says about how she wishes the music would speak for itself - that's hard to accomplish when you are flying through the air Crouching Tiger-style, or wearing Bjork-like geisha outfits. Also, the whole "fuck off, motherfuckers!!" thing was just unnecessary.

Ditto! Couldn't agree more. And I ordered HBO just for the occasion. I thought she projected a lot of dark and negative images in that show, too. I did like "Don't Tell Me" and "Holiday" where she seemed like she was actually having fun instead of just being the "artiste."

Now, the Blonde Ambition Tour totally kicked ass. That tour was playful and fun, and of course she was peaking as an artist--it was brilliant. Perhaps if I hadn't seen that show or any other Madonna show I might've been impressed with Drowned World.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 01-22-2002).]

I saw the show on HBO! I'm sorry but I thought it sucked! I can't even imagine wasting all that money to see it LIVE. It was too theatrical and it just dragged on in my opinion. I do agree the Blonde Ambition Tour was way better!! But to compare it to POPmart its just :X POPMart is amazing!
wink.gif
Ok, so I may be partial cause its U2 but still!
tongue.gif
LOL

------------------
"Rhythm is the sex of music" - Edge

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

I luuurve Madonna, and I dont think that one of her shows is better than U2, she is very cool but I like the fact that U2 have a bit more warmth in their shows, although I have never seen Madonna live ( I have seen most of her concerts on video however ) the friend who came tot he Zooropa concert with me in 93 also saw Madonna in concert (her first and only time coming to Australia) aobut two days later in the same stadium and she told me that the U2 show was way better, so there you go
smile.gif

I used to be a huge Madonna fan, still like her but not that much because what i heard from someone who cooked for her tour when she was in the area.

During her whole stay in NY & NJ she had her press people giving tix away because they weren't sold out as reported. She then canceled a NJ show stating that her voice hurt or something like that....The real reason is because not enough tix sold & she didn't like playing to an empty arena.

So i am not too crazy about her anymore but still like some of her music.

Originally posted by OzAurora:
she is very cool but I like the fact that U2 have a bit more warmth in their shows,

You hit the nail on the head--there was no genuine WARMTH in Madonna's show. Very chilly. Brrrr!

But foray, I don't mean to rain on your parade--I'm glad you enjoyed the show! And Madonna is awesome. I sort of have a love-hate thing with her. Musically, I think she's as strong as she's ever been, though.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 01-22-2002).]

I went to go see Madonna at the one NJ show that she did. Glad I didn't have tix to the 2nd show. I was in the upper level back of the arena, $45 seats. I thought the show was decent, but not the best tour she has done. The Blonde Ambition and Who's That Girl tours were way better. I just think she could have thrown in more older songs. Two songs from the 80's? What the hell? Most of the show I liked. I just didn't like that oriental themed part of the show. She went overboard with that. The finale with "Music" I thought was the best finale to any show I have seen. But without a doubt I think U2 was better.

I think her Ray Of Light album was great. That was like her Achtung Baby.

Madonna's Child, where is that Madonna forum you mentioned? I've been looking for a good Madonna forum and can't find one.

Originally posted by ericb:

Madonna's Child, where is that Madonna forum you mentioned? I've been looking for a good Madonna forum and can't find one.

oh-la-la! i'm recruiting!
biggrin.gif

i post at the http://www.absolutemadonna.com tawk forum. (the site used to be madonnaland.) i both love and hate the forum. the main madonna forum is for only madonna related threads, and unlike interference, they stick to that rule. which is great because you know the threads will always be somehow about madonna. therefore i love it. the off topic forum, free for all, annoys me at times. it's pretty cliquey and a lot of the members can be bitchy. (fans of madonna, what can we say?
wink.gif
) but there are also a LOT of great people there. i, to, have looked around and this is the best i've found. if you've looked at abs mad already and didn't like it, i've heard good things about sindris's madonna forum. but i don't belong there.

you'll be surprised to see how different the feel of a madonna forum is. BTW, if you join my username is "Living to Tell"

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"A word I've always liked more than happiness is joy. Happiness is a mood that comes and goes, whereas joy is just there." -Bono

The CIRCLE only has one side.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

In my dream I was drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows they learned to swim...

Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways:
I guess if you are more into to a theatrical performance then Madonna was good. The music seemed to be secondary. She is a great performer but I want music not X rated cartoons while she changes clothes. Sorry.

I guess people didn't get the context of the anime. I had actually seen the whole movie and it's about a girl who is a popstar-turned-actress. She naively accepts a challenging role as a girl who gets gang raped. She does it because she wants to prove her worth as an actress but later on she realises that she feels the exact guilt and shame and horror that a real rape victim feels. And she realises that she has compromised her womanhood, pride, etc. Hence, the film clips (inc rape scene) from this movie was suitable for Madonna's song "What It Feels Like For A Girl".

Drowned World = theatre? Of course! I suppose one can't really compare it to U2. The music in Drowned World sort of decorated the choreography and visuals. It was a like a celebration of dance, too. I also liked the part where she sang "La Isla Bonita" - now that part she was really into the music and looked like she was having a ball.

mad1, if I could, I'd send you a bootleg but I didn't tape the whole thing. Besides, if any packages arrived from my country to yours, it'd probably get checked for anthrax :/

foray

I heard she is actually singing live on this tour, I guess that's a start!

I like some of her songs, but not enough to sit and watch one of her concerts (or movies)

I have no problem with a little glitz and glam at a concert, but 99.9% of the show should be about the music. Zoo TV's and PopMart's excesses never interfered with the music, which is apparent by bootlegs, which without the visuals could easily sound like club shows. U2 retained that intimacy with their audience, whereas I'm not sure Madonna ever really had it. Nothing against her, I thought her previous tours were strong shows.

I guess the best band in the world has spoiled me.
biggrin.gif

I guess if you are more into to a theatrical performance then Madonna was good. The music seemed to be secondary. She is a great performer but I want music not X rated cartoons while she changes clothes. Sorry.

I really like Madonna, she's beyond talented and just has that charisma that has let her last this long.....but after watching that HBO telecast, I have to say that was a pretty lousy show. I felt like I was watching Japanese theatre on acid, and not in a good way. And where the hell was the music? She was so busy playing Lara Croft onstage she forgot to play any songs that people wanted to hear.

I think if you watch the PopMart video right after seeing the Drowned World Tour, you'll see what I'm talking about. That was a huge production, but it didn't feel forced, artificial, or boring at any point. The band was one with the chaos, and they worked beautifully together. Drowned World seems to me like ZOO TV gone horribly wrong.

Fer ?85, I'd expect a fookin lap dance from Queen Pop herself. Jeezus, if we charged that kinda dough, me brother might actually be able to buy a decent hat, d'you know? I wasn't too blown away.

------------------
Reporter: Can you sum up Oasis in one word?
Me: ME!

I only watched it on TV but I thought that the Drowned World was awesome! I wouldn't try and compare it to any U2 show since Madonna is a different artist with different aims, but I thought it rocked on its own terms.

Madonna is a very good entertainer though, u cant deny it.............although Im prob gonna now be strangled by Interferencers.................
tongue.gif

yea U2 shows are warmer, but the diff between the two are absolutely huge........

however I wont stop liking Madonna if pple told me I should appreciate U2 more......I like them both equal and always will....so
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Originally posted by mad1:
however I wont stop liking Madonna if pple told me I should appreciate U2 more......I like them both equal and always will....so
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Please stop liking Madonna.

Please appreciate U2 more.

mwuhahahahaha....

Lemonboy:
i don't think madonna writes her music even if she's often credited on her albums...to me she writes her songs just like robin williams writes his'...she goes to the real songwriter and says something like that "i've got a tune and it goes like that: laa, la, la-la,la...etc...could you write it down?"
Of course she'll never admit this but even n'sync and BSB claim they write their songs...ummmm...song is a very big word, indeed

I saw the HBO special and I liked some of the concepts she had but then she has the weird video and anime and these strange conversations with her dancers in which she tries a sounthern accent. hmmm..... I agree that there was definitely a warmth that was missing to it that U2 has-- the feeling that you are part of the show and not just watching it. I can see she wants to be artistic and sometimes it worked but alot of times it didn't.

Then of course, go to Britney's HBO show and you see a show that is based on the concept of props and scenes that don't work at all! at least Madonna is smart enough to know how to work the art and know why the pieces are the way they are instead of just being thrown together to look neato.

Back
Top Bottom