DOWNLOAD U2's New Single "ELECTRICAL STORM"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its' been a while since I have been in this forum and I just wanted to say I love this new one from the boys...the whole song just gives me chills:drool: :love: :heart:

WOW a new single already available/??? This is what happens when I turn my eyes from Interference for a while... what a surprise!!! :love: Well I haven't listened to it yet but I read off the lyrics they are amazing! ****OVERJOYED****

Nice to hear somrthing new

I like the tune. Parts of remind me of Summer Rain. Can't wait for the real full fledged non-mp3 version.

Nice to hear somrthing new

I like the tune. Parts of remind me of Summer Rain. Can't wait for the real full fledged non-mp3 version.

It kind of reminds me of Duran Duran's "Come Undone"- no, that's not an insult. It's a very pretty and artsy song IMO.

Very complex guitar work, some of Edge's best ever. Very complicated lyrics. Bono will never be able to remember them in concert, he'll have to tape them to Edge's shirt :sexywink: :shifty:

Last edited:
LOVE MUSCLE said:

Oh come now David, if you can't think of anything to say just do this-------->:censored:

and we can all be guessing:scratch: :up:

:wave:

____

:der:

haha, no i already added my opinion of the song to this thread. it's just that i also quoted someone elses post, and helped them out, then realized it wasn'ta new post. so they probably already gotten help. i thought i was on the 9th page of this thread, but it was the 1st page. i felt dumb.

To be honest, I could not resist following the link I found in my email box just then.. And to be honest I did have a go at downloading it....but it keeps cutting out, my dodgy phone lines(lmao @ the idea of hearing new U2 song via a telephone) I heard about 2 notes.
I really enjoyed reading your reactions up to about page 5. I am out of time. So I shall go back to Plan A, where I do not hear the song until I own CD, I will wait for a peaceful moment and the perfect day......and CRANK
it
right
up
11!!
:bono: :edge: :adam: :larry: :heart: Thank You

I would never have thougth to descrinbe th esky as being heavy as a truck, but hese days I suppose there is so much exhaust fumes up there, it may be perfect imagery for the 21st century. I am very proud of that bunch of men. Great band imho.

I still LOVE it 20th November 1993, electrical storm
11th November 2002 electrical storm
is that stil the officail release date? November 11th, Armistice Day?
I sure hope the rain can wash away the bad luck too Bono.
:hug:

Damn it sounds good from what we can hear in this mp3. Definitely upbeat, but not too much like I always felt ATYCLB was. I think we've got another hit here. :yes:

Well I just downloaded it ( a little late , I realize that )and I'm now listening to it for the 2nd time.......first impression......I like it ALOT....Bono's vocals are great !!
So far so good :yes:

INITIAL impressions...

Sounds very mainstream -- like the generic rock that's all over modern rock radio -- and sounds dangerously similar to bands like, dare I say, Treblecharger, Nickleback (not as hard), Sloan, and many others. It lacks some of the excitement of older U2; by that I mean, it doesn't offer us something unthinkable, something we've NEVER heard before. However, this is a new U2, and doesn't sound like, on the whole, like any of their other work, IMO. Of course, there are elements of their past -- everything from 'Staring at the Sun' to 'Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World (the live version, during that tiny solo near the end of 'Electrical Storm') -- but this is the first rock song I've heard by them that sounds like a lot of the other rock that's on modern rock radio.

This song seems self-contradictory "...compromise, that's nothing new to you...let's see colours that have never been seen...places that we've never been..." I've never heard U2 so much trying to fit in before. Contrary to popular belief, ATYCLB was not the sound of a band trying to fit in. That album sounds like nothing on the radio today. This, however, sounds like everything on the radio.

This song will do quite well, but, to be perfectly honest, only because it's so safe; it won't strike any chords with people. All the sounds on this song are great, but they are packaged into the same box that everyone else uses: there's nothing to decipher this song from everyone else's at all. Edge is back, Bono is still in the building, the band is tight -- I just wish they would use that to do something extraordinary again. Just my opinion, of course.

Pretty good song, though, and Bono and Edge are in fine form. Bodes well for future releases...

Michael Griffiths,

I totally agree with you.

Yet, you must admit, even though this song sounds like something you'd hear on the radio today, U2 does it 100 times better than anyone else!;)

Honestly, I don't mind the strategy. Keep in the mainstream with a quick and easy single, and then blow everyone's minds next year with the new album!

mikal said:
Michael Griffiths,

I totally agree with you.

Yet, you must admit, even though this song sounds like something you'd hear on the radio today, U2 does it 100 times better than anyone else!;)

Honestly, I don't mind the strategy. Keep in the mainstream with a quick and easy single, and then blow everyone's minds next year with the new album!

Quick and easy, perhaps. "Sweetest Thing"? No. It's a single. I wouldn't read too much into it other than Bono sounds great and that does bode well for future releases.

I'm very drunk, it's like 4am, but just downloaded it, NEW U2!!!!! Bastards!!!! How come Dave Fanning didn't get this first? feckers! Ah well, wow! I think I like it, although 20 minutes go i loved my crisps+cheese+garlic mayo sandwich...:barf:
GBHF+Summer Rain+Wild Honey methinks, kinda cool result

What drugs are you people smoking?

This is a great f'n U2 song. What the hell are you expecting? Achtung Baby II? The Joshua Tree revisited?

Let me tell you all something. This song sounds no more commercial than any song off of ATYCLB. Guess what - this is how the Edge plays guitar these days. This is how Bono sings now. This is how tight the band sounds in this era.

MichaelGriffiths - so sorry to disagree with your post, but a comparison of this to Nickelback is a joke. Are you trying to be funny? A Nickelback song is just a hard rocking tune that has a very finite life cycle. It is tailor made for K-ROCK radio. A song like E-Storm has an emotional power and poetic beauty to it that is distinctly U2.

I cannot believe how much disrespect I have seen on this forum for Electrical Storm. I have lost respect for a lot of you. It is not like U2 is coming out with some sh*t like the Rolling Stones after 20 years. They are still writing meaningful songs that only they can create. The people that I respect on this forum - SpanishEyes, NicaMom, & melon, are the ones who like the song (what a coincidence).

All you others need to stop thinking about U2 selling out and writing songs to be played on the radio. Time to get off of your high horses. Guess what - some songs are on the radio because they just plain f'n rock.

AJ
:coocoo:

I've listened to it about a dozen times throught the day now. It reminds me of several different U2 songs/eras in places but I'm not sure which album I'd place it on if I had to...maybe POP or Zooropa. It has kind of a Starting At The Sun sound to it. Definitely hear references to that tune, Summer Rain, TGBHF, and Hold Me Thrill Me in the E-lec-tric-al Storm part. Perhaps a Babyface guitar sound in places as well. Also, the lyrical intro reminds me a bit of Beautiful Day the way it sets up the song & the phrasing...kind of.

I don't think it an overtly commercial song. It takes a while for the chorus kick in which is kind of odd, but it is a great chrous, and it definitely grows on you. I think it will sound nice next to the other 90's tunes on the Best Of. SATS would sound nice following it IMO.

Oh, and as someone else mentioned earlier it kind of ends like the Fly with Adam's bass swoop and Larry's drums. Cool.

Now where are the Hands That Built America MP3's?:yes:

Last edited:
Hawk--Cool it, I love this song. Bono's vocal is spectacular, I love Edge's guitar work and the band sounds tight. It's as atmospheric and evocative as any U2 song. I only think they might not be shooting as high on this release as they might if this were the leadoff single release of an album of original songs. Since it's from a compilation it might not be as important, time-wise. But this has no bearing on the merit of the song itself. It's a very strong song for a compilation single, much more so than "Sweetest Thing" ever was. "Sweetest Thing" was in a similar situation.
*I don't smoke drugs*

Hawkmoon1021 said:
I've listened to it about a dozen times throught the day now. It reminds me of several different U2 songs/eras in places but I'm not sure which album I'd place it on if I had to...maybe POP or Zooropa. It has kind of a Starting At The Sun sound to it. Definitely hear references to that tune, Summer Rain, TGBHF, and Hold Me Thrill Me in the E-lec-tric-al Storm part. Perhaps a Babyface guitar sound in places as well. Also, the lyrical intro reminds me a bit of Beautiful Day the way it sets up the song & the phrasing...kind of.

I don't think it an overtly commercial song. It takes a while for the chorus kick in which is kind of odd, but it is a great chrous, and it definitely grows on you. I think it will sound nice next to the other 90's tunes on the Best Of. SATS would sound nice following it IMO.

Oh, and as someone else mentioned earlier it kind of ends like the Fly with Adam's bass swoop and Larry's drums. Cool.

Now where are the Hands That Built America MP3's?:yes:

I'd put it on Zooropa. It's atmospheric, with a very strong melody. Bono's vocal is nice and passionate, and it sounds like one from Zooropa rather than Pop. Personally, I like his vocals on Zooroa better than I do those of Pop even though those are quite nice. It's never easy to say where you'd put a U2 song but I think I'd pick Zooropa if someone made me pick right now.
And then knowing me I'd change my mind in a month.:wink: :wink:

Wanderer why is your copy shitty quality? Where'd you get it?

Mine is perfect.

i got mine from u2guatamala or whatever.

its quite poor quality, id like to know where you could get a good clean version, WITHOUT downloading new media.

Zoomerang - what do you have against New Media?

Anyway, I love the song. I really think it is about the passing of Bono's father. The "heyyyyyyyyyyy" wails in the middle of the song are so powerful. My one criticism is the title and the use of the title in the song. I am not sure why it bothers me, I think it may be that the words "Electrical Storm do not "flow" very well in the song. Having said that, I really, really like the song. One other point--I do not see Orbits influence at all. It is almost as if this song had been around for a few years, and they finally put a polish on it; in fact I would bet that is the case.

I love it

It's a great song.:up: :up: :up:

It reminds me why I like U2 as well.

Bono's voice is just so cool. :bono:

And as a guitarist, I have always loved Edge, but this song reminds me why I love his style so much. :edge:

I love that string bend riff at the end. :up:

Oh and Bono's voice sounds so much clearer and less croaky as it does on ATYCLB. :up:

Great stuff. :up: :up: :up:

Back
Top Bottom