Don't you think Bono's voice can be a little grating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I love his voice and all, but lately it's gotten a little grating at times. Take Mercy for example, AWESOME song, but come on, listen to that voice. When he sings the bridge sometimes I'll turn the volume down because it's like he's screeching in my ear or something!!! My girlfriend noticed this too.

I love hos voice though!! Just a few times it's gotten iffy.

Last edited:
OMG beli, are you BLIND?????
he's got the greatest voice EVA, here on interference!

seriously, he does sing well at times. but yeah, they got where they are by writing excellent songs, playing excellent music and having an...excellent sound. thankfully his voice is not the driving force of the band.

I'm sure he does have the best voice on Interference. Well compared to you and me anyway. :wink:

Seriously, yes sometimes he sings fantastically well, other times.... not so well. But thats not the point. If we liked pop music for the technical singing skills we would all be over on the Andrea Bocelli forum instead. :D

:shifty:

hahah is he that idol guy who got pipped at the end? or is he famous?

and hey, saying "blind" made me think of a band!! Talking Heads!
i'm off to search now :D

:happydays:

See now, Delta has a fantastic voice but a lot of her songs are crap.

I would rather hear a crappy singer singing a fantastic song then a fantastic singer singing a crappy song.

Bono's voice was at its peak during the late 80's IMO.

Ever since then, he has sounded a little "worn out" when he sings.

Don't get me wrong though, I still love his singing. :yes:

yeah, but this is delta. it wouldnt matter what she sang. she's crap and expensive. really. she should try acting on a soap or something.

Bono is a pretty shit singer, but his voice is perfect for u2 songs. Also, he's undoubtly the best frontman in the world, so in my opinion, it doesn't really matter if his voice isn't the way it used to be or not, because he's fuckin excellent (and sexy!!!) anyway!!!!:wink:

Early on I used to find it really hard to listen to Bono's singing for long stretches of time; his voice has this nasally thing to it that took time to get used to. And I still find some of his JT-RH era singing very hard to take in because to me it sounds so overblown and overdone at times. But he's undoubtedly still my favourite singer, :)

I don't like when he sounds all scratchy on purpose (Are You Gonna Wait Forever comes to mind), but generally I love Bono's voice. I think he has a great range, and a wonderful ability to project emotion. He can sound soulful (In a Little While), sexy (If You Wear That Velvet Dress), youthful and fun (Original of the Species), and anything else in between.

Although I freely admit that I badly miss the soaring falsetto of Lemon and Can't Help Falling in Love.

Bono's voice is soulful and emotional- I think its allright.

how about that axel rose? trying to sing on one of the mtv award shows? what a joke.

great example of how good bono's voice still is..
listen to the temple bar 'Vertigo' mix with edge+bono
edge on mandolin
some of those high parts he sings is great
thats not easy singing that and he changes
the singing abit...i think its really cool

yes his voice is a little worn cmon hes like 44? i think
i luv the Un-fire period is voice is fresh and full of fire

slane dvd is good too
its not easy singing 23/24 songs for a live gig
and Especially U2 songs

has anyone heard Edge singing 'pride' at sarajevo
and 'stand by me' during zoo tv indoor shows edges voice is really great

cheers BB Mac

No.

Yes of course he can't sound like he did 15 or 20 years ago (though I thought he was over-screaming in the 80's that he's still paying for it now), but I thought his "dismantle" voice was better than the previous two albums.
More clarity, better singing of phrases and he definitely got some of the high notes area back. I also really like what I heard from the promo tour so far, bodes well for the tour IMO.

Bono is performer first. He always sees to it he puts a good show so he has many stage antics to draw the crowd's attention.

Bono is a songwriter second. He writes the lyrics that make U2.

Bono is an endorser third. He always comes out on TV, whether it is his political statements, charity work, or other publicity stunts - all of which endorse the U2 brand and keep them on the public eye despite lean no-album years.

Being a singer is only fourth in Bono's agenda. So his voice isn't really well taken care of (nicotene, booze), but its not about the voice (which is failing him lately) --- its about the passion.

Cheers,

J

he puts more passion into his voice than almost any singer i know, therefore to me he is pretty much the best singer he can be.

although i do get annoyed when he misses notes when live :p

This is an interesting discussion. A good friend of mine use to say his two favorite singers (mind you this was in the mid-80's) were Steve Perry and Bono. Hmmm, I mean I know Steve Perry had a wonderful voice, but why Bono's? He told me that no one moved his soul like Bono did. While he thought Perry had a much smoother voice, Bono's was more powerful and touched his heart.

I always found that a great testament to Bono's vocal ability.

I think Bono`s got a lovely voice!!! In the 80`s, his voice vere SOOO Soft and beatutiful... Now its kinda rough... That`s SOO COOOL!!!! I love him anyway!!
:drool:
Damn Bono.... Dont smoke anymore :)

I wish I could sing just a fraction as well as Bono does. He has an amazing voice - at least from about 1984 onwards. He WAS a little iffy before that, especially in the very early days. There's a demo version of Twilight out there that is absolutely painful to listen to.

I'm astonished HUGELY by all of you saying that Bono is not a terribly great singer!!!!! :mad: :madspit:

Although i do admit he has done his voice in a bit lately, i have always thought that he's got the best singing voice of anyone around! To me, he has an incredible singing voice. Just listen to how long he can hold a note on some live tracks, like when he sings from "40" into "Streets"on the Boston DVD. He sounds totally amazing.

Also, does it not prove how good he is live, when you watch how much he runs around, and then can carry on singing, while sounding as good! He doesn't still sound all out of breath! :wink:

And as for Jick describing his singing in fourth place......PAH! :madspit: :madspit:

Oops, now i will get my first slagging off Jick!!!! :help: :yikes:

Back
Top Bottom