Don't believe the hype!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
November 22

err...zooropa is their masterpiece!

the rest are just plain......

This is just my opinion on it all :

The moment Chris Thomas left production and Steve Lyillewhite stepped in I knew then that the record was changing direction. Esepcially pulling in Daniel Lanios to hear the songs as well (by U2's own admission, Lanios does not like loud rock songs) I don't really like Lanois as a producer, he's very safe in his approach and has to much of a pop sensibility. So the signs weren't looking good all that time ago people for a rock album.

I mean the comments of Bono saying it'd be their first propoer rock 'n' roll album were made during a time when Thomas was still on board. I believe at one stage that's exactly what it was, a rock 'n' roll record, then they got cold feet and decided to make a more straight forward U2 record and brought Lylliewhite to do just that for them.

I think they've been stung with Pop and they've lost that innovative streak that they had during the '90's, and have got far too caught up in maintaining the title of biggest rock band in the world (what does that title matter anyway if the music isn't up to scratch?). It's a shame really (imho) that's happend, because I feel Pop is an exceptional record and I would have loved to have seen them pushing the boundaries even after that record. But it wasn't to be, U2 want to compete on a mainstream play ground and they know for a fact that if they continued to innovate the mainstream wouldn't have came with them the way they had done in the past. From there, ATYCLB was born, the safe record, the one that'd pull people back towards them.

To all those who are complaining about the lack of rock songs, I know what you mean. But as others have said, U2 outwith a few exceptions aren't really a band that make rockin' records, if you want rock go somewhere else you won't get it in the U2 camp, and I'm not convienced we will ever again. The band are touching the mid 40's now, their head space isn't the same as it was when they were in their late 20's early 30's. I feel their making music that suits where they are in life.

Overall, HTDAAB is not a classic, and is not a rock 'n' roll record, but it is a good record, but I just feel that there's something missing on it, just like ATYCLB, some sort of spark. At time's it's U2 by numbers. Maybe it's the lack of innovation that's missing for me. But I think this record will have it's time and place for me. But it won't be one that'll be played religiously.

As I said, this is just my personal opnion on it all, I know it certainly won't be the same for a lot of you out there.

Lo-Fi said:
The moment Chris Thomas left production and Steve Lyillewhite stepped in I knew then that the record was changing direction. Esepcially pulling in Daniel Lanios to hear the songs as well (by U2's own admission, Lanios does not like loud rock songs) I don't really like Lanois as a producer, he's very safe in his approach and has to much of a pop sensibility. So the signs weren't looking good all that time ago people for a rock album.

Now I didn't hear any of the songs yet (apart from Vertigo of course) but if anything, Lillywhite as a producer should indicate a direct, guitar loaded album. Now the lyrics are pretty direct, and everyone so far has said Edge is very much present on the album.

My guess is they just didn't get it right with Thomas (after all only 3 songs made it from that time).

Lanois was involved in U2's best known and most succesful albums, and it's odd to see U2 fans bash him. I prefer him over Eno who simply drowns out Edge's guitar too much. Oh and ... he produced 6 of Achtung Baby's songs - alone - and he helped mix 2 more, so there.
On this album, I think only Love and peace or else (which is said to be one of the most rocking songs on the album) and one other song feature him producing. If i remember right, he only spent a week or so in the studio.

I for one am glad to see a more songwriting oriented, straight forward U2 that started showing with ATYCLB.

*edit* I don't know where this obsession with "U2 being rockers" or "U2 being innovative" comes from. For the most part, the amount of rock songs on their album is 2 or 3.
U2 was only innovative on 2 albums and Pop to some degree. (though even that one showed U2 getting back to straight forward rock sound - with songs like Staring at the sun, Last night on earth, If god will send his angels, Gone, Please, Wake up dead man, Discotheque riff) For the most part, they just sound like themselves.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Now I didn't hear any of the songs yet (apart from Vertigo of course) but if anything, Lillywhite as a producer should indicate a direct, guitar loaded album. Now the lyrics are pretty direct, and everyone so far has said Edge is very much present on the album.

My guess is they just didn't get it right with Thomas (after all only 3 songs made it from that time).

Lanois was involved in U2's best known and most succesful albums, and it's odd to see U2 fans bash him. I prefer him over Eno who simply drowns out Edge's guitar too much. Oh and ... he produced 6 of Achtung Baby's songs - alone - and he helped mix 2 more, so there.

I'm very well versed on the stats of U2's past songs and how involved Lanois has been on them, and I know about Lylliewhite's approach to the guitar as well.

I was just giving an opinion on Lanois' style. I'm the opposite of you, I prefer Eno's experimental side to Lanois classic songs structure approach. Zooropa is a favourite of mine, and Lanois was no where to seen on that record. I'm not saying Lanois can't produce or he's a poor producer. All I am saying is his style is not to me taste that's all.

As I said, it's just an opinion of one person, nothing more than that. I never wrote all of the above to cause offence, I am just saying how I feel about it all.

Last edited:
rkman said:
So not being thrilled with the album is "whining."

Considering how fucking amazing the album actually is, yes.

Axver, you've got some balls to make this claim when in your sig you have a link to "Contradiction is balance: Axver's LiveJournal."

What does that have to do with anything? There's a difference between a ZooTVism that relates to the contradictions in one's life and someone expecting something from U2 that they aren't going to provide. U2 are not a loud, hard rock band. A whole album of Vertigos would suck something fierce.

Originally posted by U2girl
Axver: what about Exit? It's also a rock song IMO.

Live, yes. Studio, no. I think the production on JT makes it a dark, rumbling track, but it didn't rock until it appeared live.

(Remember, here, I'm talking about songs that seriously rock. If we're talking all sorts of rock, Streets is the greatest rock song ever made. That's the benchmark for every rock song to aspire to reach.)

Lo-Fi said:
This is just my opinion on it all :

If you remember that interview with Lillywhite in Uncut Magazine he said that when he inherited the record off Thomas it was full of strings and the band were just throwing money at it.... he also said that they didnt have enough good songs. Doesn't sound like it was a big rock album, i really believe that what we are talking about isn't rock vs rock-lite, it's different production. The production on AB is perfection, you can here the darkness of Hansa studios in the sound, just like you can on Bowie's Berlin trilogy. The production on HTDAAB is darker than ATYCLB but it isn't as emotional and dark as AB. Sometimes records have an untangiable atmosphere that just cant be recreated, i honestly think even U2 look back at AB and think "how did we get that sound?"
Just my opinion but i think this argument runs deeper than rawk!!!! Sometimes the heaviest songs are the quietist. Love is blindness is the heaviest song this band has ever recorded.

Damm right

gorman said:
It always bothers me when people expect U2 albums to be nothing but full-on rock songs, such as Vertigo. I mean, that's just not who U2 are. I do love having a few tracks like that on the album, such as the three we have on HTDAAB, but having the full album like that just wouldn't be the U2 we all love. I was actually a little worried when I kept reading stuff that suggested this would be an album of nothing but Vertigo-like tracks. Needless to say, I love the way HTDAAB turned out. I couldn't have asked for a better album.

SPOT ON

Paul K

chrissybaby said:

If you remember that interview with Lillywhite in Uncut Magazine he said that when he inherited the record off Thomas it was full of strings and the band were just throwing money at it.... he also said that they didnt have enough good songs. Doesn't sound like it was a big rock album, i really believe that what we are talking about isn't rock vs rock-lite, it's different production. The production on AB is perfection, you can here the darkness of Hansa studios in the sound, just like you can on Bowie's Berlin trilogy. The production on HTDAAB is darker than ATYCLB but it isn't as emotional and dark as AB. Sometimes records have an untangiable atmosphere that just cant be recreated, i honestly think even U2 look back at AB and think "how did we get that sound?"
Just my opinion but i think this argument runs deeper than rawk!!!! Sometimes the heaviest songs are the quietist. Love is blindness is the heaviest song this band has ever recorded.

I haven't read that article Chrissybaby, that'd be very intresting to read and see what Lylliewhite went in and did to the songs. Still, it does make you wonder why Bono was sayin' it was the mother of all rock 'n' roll records if all the songs had strings on them don't you think? I really wish Bono wouldn't say stuff about songs like that when they obviously weren't. All it does is disappoint fans in the long run. Sure it generates hype for the album, but disappoints when they don't deliever. If Bono says they're making a rock 'n' roll record, go and make one!!

Last edited:
Lo-Fi said:

I haven't read that article Chrissybaby, that'd be very intresting to read and see what Lylliewhite went in and did to the songs. Still, it does make you wonder why Bono was sayin' it was the mother of all rock 'n' roll records if all the songs had strings on them don't you think? I really wish Bono wouldn't say stuff about songs like that when they obviously weren't. All it does is disappoint fans in the long run. Sure it generates hype for the album, but disappoints when they don't deliever. If Bono says they're making a rock 'n' roll record, go and make one!!

The scan from the magazine is on this page:
forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101193&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

I think Bono genuinely believed this album would be rock and roll, he probably said that when they'd just written Vertigo (native son) LAPOE and ABOY, but i think it changed shape relatively recently....

Axver said:
A whole album of Vertigos would suck something fierce.

:up: i'd be totally fed up with Hello Hello after track 3 ;)
but seriously
A U2 album full of hard rocking songs...that would suck totally.
Thats why U2 are the best band in the world, not only can they write the odd rocking tune, they cant write bloody decent "slow" songs too, and they've been able to re-invent themselves serveral times now..
i'm sure if somone listened to UF and then listned to POP, wouldnt think its the same band.
As with some crap music that is out today....you listen to one song, another comes on and it sounds almost alike.

Just wait till the band i'm in comes in when U2 are long "retired"
If only our "Drummers" mother would let him buy a set of drums.....

back to exam study.

I think it's too early to tell. Let it roll around in your head for a while give it a couple months Weve heard JT and AB for YEARS now, and album seems fresher so to some it seems like the second coming, and to others it doesn't seem as good cos they can't identify with the sound as much yet.

the one thing it's getting harder and harder to realize these days because of the internet MTV and things liek itunes is a great album back to back, we've gotten so used to hearing nothing but singles.

To me this is a very good cd, but it may grow in greatness as I savor it more It may go down in a few months, I know atyclb took a nose dive in my opinion after a couple years.

and there is no need to give wolfwill a prostate exam over this thing, he's stating his opinion, this community is founded upon the exchange of ideas and he's been respectful. Accusing him of bad taste or anything else is rather moot seeing as for all I know any one of you is sitting behind a desk in pink spandex and a mullet. Perhaps his opinion will reflect the mass publics more maybe not. But to an extent I did expect a more rockin record, but I am not dissapointed with this at all.

in short it's too early to tell anything.

Hello!!:mad:

IMO there are 6 rock songs on this record...6 ROCK songs on this record!!!

They may not all be led zep type rockers, but rockers nonetheless. Besides, I think the band was referring to how much more this one rocked when compared to their last record. And if you look objectively at it, this record may be more rocking than AB.

Back
Top Bottom