Doesn't really sound like a quick release for the new album...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
There's been some talk of U2 continuing their Vertigo tour after their last scheduled date on Dec. 19 in Portland.

But U2 guitarist the Edge told The Sun in a Canadian newspaper exclusive at the Air Canada Centre last weekend that nothing's been decided.

"At a certain point, we're going to have to get back and start thinking about the next record," said the 44-year-old guitarist, whose band plays the third of their four sold-out shows tonight at the ACC.

The Edge says he does write on the road but he's not as focused as when he's in one place.

"I do, but for every 10 songs I write there's probably only one that will end up going anywhere," he said.

"To start really getting into the material for the next record, it's going to take a lot of time off the road. There's a couple of things that I've done that I hear (and think), 'That's special, that's going to make the next record,' but I'd still need some time off, I think, to make a great U2 record."

U2, whose latest album is 2004's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, wrap up their four-night-stand at the ACC tomorrow night and head to Chicago.

At their second show on Wednesday night, they were joined by Canadian producer Daniel Lanois on stage.

"a lot of time off the road"

i really think the 2006 projections were a pipe dream

2008, chizip............................... boring 2008......................... :shrug: i'm not agree, to make a great record you can need even 3 months........................(zooropa testifies)

I'd much rather them go to Australia/NZ/Japan and Mexico/South America before going back into the studio. It'd be ideal if they could record on tour, but if not it's more important that those parts of the world get some shows.

Catman said:
I'm honestly predicting a 2007 album and then one final farewell U2 record in either 2010 or 2011.

I could see that. When the day does come to release their final album I think it should be a double disc and they should take as much time as the want/need to make it as close as possible to a difinitive U2 album. An album that could completely sum up the band. U2 doesn't have that, a difinitive album. In a way that's good becasue they have many classic albums. Yet no one album that you could say to a non fan who's interested in checking out the band to go and listen to. The best of albums are o.k. but in so many ways miss the mark. The problem is how do you make a difinitive album without repeating yourself. :eyebrow:

Hallucination said:

I could see that. When the day does come to release their final album I think it should be a double disc and they should take as much time as the want/need to make it as close as possible to a difinitive U2 album. An album that could completely sum up the band. U2 doesn't have that, a difinitive album. In a way that's good becasue they have many classic albums. Yet no one album that you could say to a non fan who's interested in checking out the band to go and listen to. The best of albums are o.k. but in so many ways miss the mark. The problem is how do you make a difinitive album without repeating yourself. :eyebrow:

You write songs like Mercy.

I'd call JT and AB U2's two "definitive" albums.

Why is everyone suddenly talking about U2's final days? it makes me sad :sad:

AtomicBono said:

Why is everyone suddenly talking about U2's final days? it makes me sad :sad:

Because no one wants to see them make ATYCLB and HTDAAB over and over again until their 65-70 and more and more people are fearing that they might in fact go down that road. Some people, like me, would rather have them stop right now if they're just gonna keep making ATYCLB and HTDAAB over and over again.

namkcuR said:

Because no one wants to see them make ATYCLB and HTDAAB over and over again until their 65-70 and more and more people are fearing that they might in fact go down that road. Some people, like me, would rather have them stop right now if they're just gonna keep making ATYCLB and HTDAAB over and over again.

Yes indeed! I hope this is just a phase that they'll get out of soon and not the safe path that they stick to for the rest of their career!

namkcuR said:

But, as many people on here would agree, they've created their 3rd greatest album during this phase, HTDAAB. :confused:

roy said:

But, as many people on here would agree, they've created their 3rd greatest album during this phase, HTDAAB. :confused:

I think more would disagree with that. But it is all opinion and all cool.

namkcuR said:

I agree that we don't want to see them making the same album over and over again though I have to say that in my opinion HTDAAB is U2's second best album(behind Achtung Baby) and ATYCLB is a ways down the list. I don't thik they repeated themselves at all from ATYCLB - HTDAAB.

Originally posted by AtomicBono

Yeah that would be true about Mercy. Somehow that song does showcase the band it all it's glory. It has the passion of the 80's material combined with the mood of the 90's(could've fit in on AB). Now the trick is to record 12 songs just like it. As for Joshua Tree AND Achtung Baby being two of their difinitive albums...well sure but you get a brand new fan to go and listen to those albums and their gonna be like "What the fuck!?" in a good way obviously but to call them BOTH difinitive albums is kinda strange when they contradict each other so much. I guess they are the band's difinitive albums from their respective eras though.

Hallucination said:

As for Joshua Tree AND Achtung Baby being two of their difinitive albums...well sure but you get a brand new fan to go and listen to those albums and their gonna be like "What the fuck!?" in a good way obviously but to call them BOTH difinitive albums is kinda strange when they contradict each other so much. I guess they are the band's difinitive albums from their respective eras though.

I think it is because they are so opposite that U2 has two definitive albums. Most bands only have one.

bsp77 said:

I think it is because they are so opposite that U2 has two definitive albums. Most bands only have one.

It's almost as if once we get past the year 2010 U2 will liely have 3 difinitive albums:laugh: JT - representing the 80's, AB - representing the 90's, What will represent the 10's? I'm confident the next album is gonna be it. I have a feeling U2 is headed in a new direction. I don't know what but I just have a feeling.

Hallucination said:

It's almost as if once we get past the year 2010 U2 will liely have 3 difinitive albums:laugh: JT - representing the 80's, AB - representing the 90's, What will represent the 10's? I'm confident the next album is gonna be it. I have a feeling U2 is headed in a new direction. I don't know what but I just have a feeling.

*fingers crossed*

:wink:

roy said:

Can't agree with HTDAAB being 3rd, I have to say maybe Tied 4th with ATYCLB and War

Maybe a long time, to The Edge, is three months? Then four months in the studio. Two months in production. Two months of packaging, album release right before Thanksgiving in November.

u2 aren't going anywhere. they got at least two more albums left in them. at least.

2008 i'm thinking, but I think it all depends on if they extend the tour. If they don't go to Asia and Australia, they might be doing so because they want to get back in the studio.

If it's 2008, it sucks but at least we can break down those 15 sec. leaked clips for hours upon hours and wait in anticipation. :wink:

Anyone think they may be recording now? The recent appearances of 'Fast Cars' and Daniel Lanois have me at least thinking of that possibility. We also know about 'Mercy' around these parts, and there may be other gems as well. The last time an unknown song was introduced this way was during the Zooropa tour, isn't that right? 'Stay' and 'Numb' came to fruition on the album...were they performed before its release? I'm searching for parallels with that era, but perhaps there are none.

angelordevil said:
Anyone think they may be recording now? The recent appearances of 'Fast Cars' and Daniel Lanois have me at least thinking of that possibility. We also know about 'Mercy' around these parts, and there may be other gems as well. The last time an unknown song was introduced this way was during the Zooropa tour, isn't that right? 'Stay' and 'Numb' came to fruition on the album...were they performed before its release? I'm searching for parallels with that era, but perhaps there are none.

All Zooropa songs debuted live after the album's release, with Numb being the first on 7 July 1993. The last time an unknown song was introduced excluding songs debuted on their album's own promo tour and besides the impromptu We Love You on 5 August 2001 (which probably will never be released as any kind of studio song) was She's A Mystery To Me on 30 December 1989 - it remains unreleased but has been played sporadically over the years and some version of it (studio? live?) is appearing on one of the European ABOY singles. Out of songs that have actually already been released in studio form, the last to debut live - and also the record holder for longest gap between debut live and official release - was Slow Dancing on 1 December 1989 and released roughly a week short of four years later in late November 1993.

Axver said:

All Zooropa songs debuted live after the album's release, with Numb being the first on 7 July 1993. The last time an unknown song was introduced excluding songs debuted on their album's own promo tour and besides the impromptu We Love You on 5 August 2001 (which probably will never be released as any kind of studio song) was She's A Mystery To Me on 30 December 1989 - it remains unreleased but has been played sporadically over the years and some version of it (studio? live?) is appearing on one of the European ABOY singles. Out of songs that have actually already been released in studio form, the last to debut live - and also the record holder for longest gap between debut live and official release - was Slow Dancing on 1 December 1989 and released roughly a week short of four years later in late November 1993.

:nerd:

:wink:

I wish U2 would spontaniously just play a song no one's heard before. That would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom