Does the Vertigo Riff sound like I Will Follow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Martinuk100

The Fly
I know it's a crappy recording, but am I the only one who thinks that one of the riffs in Vertigo sounds a bit too similar to I Will Follow?!

And while I'm at it, the main riff in Elevation is a straight rip off of Smells Like Teen Spirit...and if you think I'm off my head listen to the last 30 seconds of live version of Elevation and compare it to Smells Like Teen Spirit, exactly the same...

Before everybody starts slating me, I can't wait for Vertigo, and from what I can hear it's sounds awesome!!!

lol Martin.

Its true though. So many musicians 'borrow' similar styles from others, and then other times they just wind up sounding similar unintentionally.

I always dug the inclusion of the sound of Radiohead's Creep when performed live.

Yes, it does sound a little like I Will Follow's riff. :yes: Even though I think IWF's riff is a little better I think Vertigo will be harder and more agressive than IWF and tah'ts a plus with me. :D

Howevere it's another reason to the people who don't like U2 to keep on saying that all their songs sound the same. :rolleyes:

Martinuk100 said:
And while I'm at it, the main riff in Elevation is a straight rip off of Smells Like Teen Spirit...and if you think I'm off my head listen to the last 30 seconds of live version of Elevation and compare it to Smells Like Teen Spirit, exactly the same...

I heard Smells like teen spirit, and I don't see that resemblance. :shrug: That's just me though. I agree the guitar bit in the live version right before the final chorus is alot like Creep.

:confused: Similar? Like "touch me" part in BD or even more similar?

I can't really tell except that is sounds like early U2, guitar wise.

BTW, does anyone else think the verses to that Maroon 5 song "This Love" sound just like the verses to "I Will Survive"

I Will Follow? I haven't noticed a resemblance yet ...

Yea, when Edge goes into the solo bit; that sounds like the main riff of I Will Follow.

FullonEdge2 said:
It's more like a form of the refrain riff from UTEOTW.

Yeah, I agree with this one. You have E and then E sus4 chords, i think.. So it's like UTEOTW!
(but again, it has different rythm, so it doesn't sound so similar...

caragriff said:

i know people who don't like them but i never hear that as a reason.
do people really think that?
that would be a pretty easy argument to win:)

Yes, I've seen many people saying that they made their career playing one riff. I think I once read Henry Rollins saying that, but don't quote me on that. If you pay attention some of Edge’s riffs are similar but he always uses it differently and ads different kinds of elements on them, plus the vibe from the songs are different.

Martinuk100 said:

Before everybody starts slating me, I can't wait for Vertigo, and from what I can hear it's sounds awesome!!!

They are similar, but not the same. There are only so many chords, guitars, peddle effects and sounds one can get from a guitar. I'm sure if you were able to listen to all of the music ever made, some chords and sounds would be repeated the same way some colors and brush strokes have been repeated throughout the history of painting.

TheBrazilianFly said:

Howevere it's another reason to the people who don't like U2 to keep on saying that all their songs sound the same. :rolleyes:

I doubt many people who don't like U2 will know I Will Follow, so that shouldn't worry you too much...plus I have to say I never noticed any real resemblance, I think we'll need to hear a longer clip or the full song in much better quality before we can be sure of any similarities.

I'm sure it's gonna be awesome!

It looks like we'll hear it Thursday after Dave Fanning's show...

Back
Top Bottom