Does the "I Am" in ABoY refer to the only proper Biblical name for God Him/Herself?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knuckle

Acrobat
Does the "I Am" in ABoY refer to the only proper Biblical name for God Him/Herself?

Maybe I just don't have a gift for grasping the obvious, but I always thought that the "I am" in All Because of You simply meant All Because of You, I am (I exist).

However, a few days ago a friend of mine (who happens to be much more religious than me) told me he thought that the song had an obvious and wonderful double meaning. He thought that while the "I am" could simply mean "I exist", it also referred to the only referenced name for God in the Bible. That is, when Moses stood before the burning bush and asked God "whom shall I say sent me", God responded simply, "I Am" or "I Am who Am" (depending on your Bible).

In other words, "All Because of You, I Am" or "All Because of You, God". What do you think? I like this interpretation a lot.

Re: Does the "I Am" in ABoY refer to the only proper Biblical name for God Him/Herself?

Knuckle said:
Maybe I just don't have a gift for grasping the obvious, but I always thought that the "I am" in All Because of You simply meant All Because of You, I am (I exist).

However, a few days ago a friend of mine (who happens to be much more religious than me) told me he thought that the song had an obvious and wonderful double meaning. He thought that while the "I am" could simply mean "I exist", it also referred to the only referenced name for God in the Bible. That is, when Moses stood before the burning bush and asked God "whom shall I say sent me", God responded simply, "I Am" or "I Am who Am" (depending on your Bible).

In other words, "All Because of You, I Am" or "All Because of You, God". What do you think? I like this interpretation a lot.

If you bought the U2 HTDAAB cd-dvd-booklet, in the booklet, it actually has some notes about "I AM" in refrence to God. Since I saw the booklet, everytime I here the song, I think of God when he says "I AM"

I read a review of HTDAAB in a copy of relevant magazine and they referenced the same thing. Very cool!!!

If you have never heard of relevant magazine, you should really check it out. they have a cool site too: www.relevant magazine.com (delete the space)

Kev

The booklet definitely infers that "I am" refers to God's name. Exodus 3:14 (the verse that mentions "I am" as the name of God) is printed next to the ABOY lyrics.

Interesting Note: "I am" in Hebrew is translated as Yahweh.

Don't you think the amount of biblical references and all the things linked to love in U2 songs are just amazing?
I am so sorry that I can't understand it completely, but I know there are always a lot of things under the surface of every U2 songs.

I always thought this, since the first time i heard the song!
Yet another U2 song that has double meaning.
It fits in with the rest of the song... The following lines are obviously in referance to God. Plenty more of the song is too.

An Intellectual Tortoise racing with you bullet train
Some poeple get squashed crossing the tracks
Some poeple got highrises on their backs
I'm not broke but you can see the cracks

So we have Yahweh and I Am....both the names of the God of the Hebrews...and we also have the song 'Jesus Christ' who is also the same being! How cool is that!!

I created an Intereferance user here a couple of months ago called 'I AM' ...so that I could check up on a few things while at work...could'nt remember my pwd for stagman at the time.. :wink:

U2girl said:
I always thought this song was about his parent(s).

Your right... i think his parents had an impact on this song. I think the 3 main things are:

1. God

2. Parent(s)

3. The band that they looked up to when they were starting out.(The Who or The Clash maybe)??

Back
Top Bottom