does news about Sian change your understanding of HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
while we don't know the details, and don't need to know them, i think it's safe to say that the reported illness in the Edge's family occurred after the album was finished, and probably out in the shops, so none of it was literally intended.

however, like 9-11 to ATYCLB, i nearly fell off the treadmill while listening to HTDAAB today with this news in mind. obviously, OOTS is a parent-to-child song, and the "here's your father" means something more. then there's Yahweh, more mentions of children. SYCMIOYO is a death song, also a life song, reaching out to someone in need. no, none of this works perfectly, but it's all there.

then there's Miracle Drug. woah. first, the obvious title. then the fact that it's Edge who sings the most thrilling part of the song, "beneath the noise below the din ... in science and in medicine."

and maybe more of this will tease itself out over the coming weeks and months. it's going to be very emotional seeing them in concert, with these things in mind.

just some thoughts.

anyone else?

I bet the whole context of the album has changed for the band since learning of Sian's illness.

But let me tell you my story....

I have bought every U2 album on the day of release since JT. Picking up the cd is day of release has always been special to me. Anyway, my wife gave birth to our first child on 9/2/04. 3 months later we were told he needed emergency heart surgery. Surgery was scheduled for 11/24, one day post the NA cd release. Obviously, I didn't get the opportunity to pick up the cd. My parents came to the hospital to visit and handed me the cd. Once i read the lyrics, to many of the songs, especially MD, the songs held special meaning for me and at times appeared to have been written for me and my son. It was pretty overwhelming. "Of science and the human heart, there is no limit":sad:

he is better now, thank g%d. but i can certainly see how the tunes take on a whole new meaning when U2 are confronted w/ life/death situations, just as they did w/ me.

Numb1075 said:
I bet the whole context of the album has changed for the band since learning of Sian's illness.

But let me tell you my story....

I have bought every U2 album on the day of release since JT. Picking up the cd is day of release has always been special to me. Anyway, my wife gave birth to our first child on 9/2/04. 3 months later we were told he needed emergency heart surgery. Surgery was scheduled for 11/24, one day post the NA cd release. Obviously, I didn't get the opportunity to pick up the cd. My parents came to the hospital to visit and handed me the cd. Once i read the lyrics, to many of the songs, especially MD, the songs held special meaning for me and at times appeared to have been written for me and my son. It was pretty overwhelming. "Of science and the human heart, there is no limit":sad:

he is better now, thank g%d. but i can certainly see how the tunes take on a whole new meaning when U2 are confronted w/ life/death situations, just as they did w/ me.

:up: It's amazing how life sneaks into so much art. Not just the artist's life, but the appreciators life.

Last edited:
Very true MrBrau. For some reason, U2's lyrics speak to me and seems to knowwhat's going on in my life at the time. Pretty crazy...especially this last "episode" in my life....

Back
Top Bottom