Does HTDAAB's production hurt your ears?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miricale_Drug said:
U2 albums have become progressivly louder... its definetly not a good thing. At least they haven't hit Oasis levels yet... whats the story morning glory is the loudest mainstream album ever

False.

wav1ph2.jpg

wav2gl3.jpg

Hello has more headroom, and is much, much quieter. However, notice how it lacks dynamics; Morning Glory isn't loud...it was just horribly produced.

Snowlock said:
Too loud and noisy? Oh... poor rock and roll. Or poor us for being a bunch of crotchety old bastards.

:lol:

i like Crumbs, the chimes are sweet :drool:

the All Because of You into on the other hand :mad:

I can't say it hurts my ears, no

I think the loud production was partly an attempt to increase the distance between How to dismantle ... and All that you can't leave ...

IMO the differance created by All that you can't .... being 20 times more interesting to me is already enough

Listen to ATYCLB and HTDAAB back to back. The differences in loudness aren't huge; ATYCLB is almost as loud, but it's not as "jarring" to me for some reason.

Oddly the beginning of SYCMIOYO bothers me a lot more than the beginning of beginning of ABOY :shrug:

And while we're comparing waveforms:

Miracle Drug (album version) :

mdahd5.gif

Miracle Drug (Redanka remix) :

mdrja0.gif

Yeah, I wasn't talking about loudness or being too noisy, rather, this "jarring and crunching" feeling referred to. In almost all songs, the bass guitar has this horrible buzzing noise accompanying every note, and the last chorus of Vertigo sounds SO awful. Ow ow ow. Pearl Jam's new album is way noisier, but that doesn't bother me at all. In fact, the crunchiness is quite delicious there :tongue:

kingofsorrow said:
ok can somebody explain the difference in the waveforms and what they represent. is the larger the wave representative of loudnest?

Indeed it is. The fewer ups and downs there are, the less dynamics there are in the volume, and the higher the waveform goes, the louder it is.

Back
Top Bottom