Does HTDAAB's production hurt your ears?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

Then again, I can't name a single U2 album with mastering that I would consider great.

Considering the era it was in, Zooropa sounds very very good.
Maybe it's not great either, I'd say it's their best sounding record.

Most everything before about '95/'96 (hard to say exactly when) is considerably 'less loud' and certainly more rich than just about anything that has came out since. Industry problem.

Even the newest Tool album is mastered too fucking loud, they did a great job of mixing, you can pick up all kinds of sounds but it maxes out in spots.

Petty gripes? Nah, I think it's a legitimate beef with the record industry. They are trying to sell more upfront and are sacrifcing the quality for the short term. After all, you know they'll just remaster it and sell it to the audiophiles years later.

Screwtape2 said:
The start of All Because Of You. I refuse to listen to that track anymore.

I actually had my earphones on and played it on the maximum loudness my earphones would allow. It hurt so much.:sad:

Cause I liked that part in the begining, so I decided to blast it. I am ok though.

What?? I didn't hear that. :wink: I don't do it anymore. I dont want to lose one of my six senses.

Justin24 said:
Cause I liked that part in the begining, so I decided to blast it. I am ok though.

maybe that awful piercing sound did something to your brain...:ohmy:

that would explain some of your threads...:wink:

xaviMF22 said:

maybe that awful piercing sound did something to your brain...:ohmy:

that would explain some of your threads...:wink:

Oh shit that was great Xavi. HTDAAB did fuck up my brain. Either that or listening to Kid A LOL kidding. You have got to admit the music video was cool.

crumbs from your table is particulalry badly engineered. in some bits, its not disimmilar to being whacked on the ear or listening to a sea shell. You know.......that swishing, piercing, ringing sound. Av always maintained that compared to other artists releases at the same time, u2 recordings have always seemed lifeless and dull.

Last edited:
Justin24 said:

You have got to admit the music video was cool.

the Stones did it before

stones_nyc.jpg

:tsk:

and is this true?

"All Because of You "

This reached the top spot in Canada, even though it only sold 85 physical records, breaking the record for the lowest-selling Number 1 single ever in the Guinness World Book of Records.

thats probably why they called it that...

U2-"after recording all the songs, we need to think of an album name,what do you think on listening to it"

Producer-"sounds like a fuking atomic bomb iv gone half fucking deaf you twats!"

Edge-"well lets dismantle it abit then so it doesnt do that"

Bono-"Fuck that, loud is good, let the listeners work out howt o distmantle it, lets call it *How to dismantle an atomic bomb*"

Larry-"what the fuck are you on about now Paul?"

bono-"well when they listen to it they are gona want to dismantle it so there you go, how do you dismantle our atomic bomb?"

Adam-"smash it over your brainless head?"

Larry-"shut up adam"

bono-"yes exactly, smash it over my brainless head!"

bono-"hey!"

edge larry and adam walk away laughing

:p

Still can't see much production troubles. Almost all U2 albums have those production stabs.
On HTDAAB the bad moments are "Crumbs" (shoud've been more or less like on the bonus DVD) and COBL (guitar should be much more proeminent).

U2's studio work really falls flat compared to its live work. The mastering in general is not good at all.

I agree. Over the last several years(albums) the live versions of the songs is where they really come alive.

The track sequences are aweful... nothing like how the Joshua Tree was... I'd rearrange it into something that was better suited...

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Crumbs From Your Table
3. Miracle Drug
4. Vertigo
5. All Because Of You
6. A Man And A Woman
7. Love And Peace Or Else
8. One Step Closer
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10. Original Of The Species
11. Yahweh

theu2fly said:
The track sequences are aweful... nothing like how the Joshua Tree was... I'd rearrange it into something that was better suited...

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Crumbs From Your Table
3. Miracle Drug
4. Vertigo
5. All Because Of You
6. A Man And A Woman
7. Love And Peace Or Else
8. One Step Closer
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10. Original Of The Species
11. Yahweh

More like this:
1. LAPOE
2. All Because Of YOu
3. Vertigo
4. Sometimes
5. Crumbs
6. COBL
7. MD
8. OOTS
9. AMAAW
10. OSC
11. Yahweh

BTW, the tracklist of Josh Tree was devised by no great deliberation. A friend of the band was asked to put the songs on tape in the order she liked them; and they stuck with that.

U2 albums have become progressivly louder... its definetly not a good thing. At least they haven't hit Oasis levels yet... whats the story morning glory is the loudest mainstream album ever

Back
Top Bottom