Does Edge Still Have A Song Left In Him?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
As U2's career slowly winds down, do you guys think Edge still has one more full vocal song left in him that will be included in a future U2 album or do you think Numb was already his studio swan song and Popmart SBS his live finale?

His cameo vocal appearance on Miracle Drug was cute, but it's no full song. So what do you guys think?

I think Edge is done for his singing career in U2.

Cheers,

J

boystupidboy said:
i think the edge's guitar playing haydays are well past him as well.Ever since that pesky zooropa album:mad:

Have you even listened to the new album? Edge is brilliant throughout :yes: :yes:

Well, Edge aint gonna give up on the geetar, so for the forseeable future it'll be alrite.

jick said:
As U2's career slowly winds down, do you guys think Edge still has one more full vocal song left in him that will be included in a future U2 album or do you think Numb was already his studio swan song and Popmart SBS his live finale?

His cameo vocal appearance on Miracle Drug was cute, but it's no full song. So what do you guys think?

I think Edge is done for his singing career in U2.

Cheers,

J

Actually he was talking about it in this Dutch interview. He said something like he likes singing, but its still Bono's part, that he likes Bono's voice etc. Nothing concrete as far as i remember.

Hm..guess i have to listen to it again :wink:

Some people missed my point. This thread is not about Edge's guitar playing but more about his singing a full song.

Cheers,

J

Thanks for keeping us children on track Jick.

Firstly, who says that U2 is slowly winding down? That is pure speculation. Secondly, in my opinion, Edge's verse in MD is a lot more that "cute". It is powerful and brilliant. That verse has piqued my desire for a full Edge vocal song (with possibly Bono singing a verse).

boosterjuice said:
Thanks for keeping us children on track Jick.

Firstly, who says that U2 is slowly winding down? That is pure speculation. Secondly, in my opinion, Edge's verse in MD is a lot more that "cute". It is powerful and brilliant. That verse has piqued my desire for a full Edge vocal song (with possibly Bono singing a verse).

Just to sidetrack again for a sec, I could actually still see U2 putting out albums in their 50s and beyond. Perhaps stating at some point that a final tour, but still writing/recording together. If they still have a spark and like each other, why not? Any replies to this maybe start a new thread, because this one is about whether Edge's singing days are over.
I think we'll hear from him again

I don't think he should sing a full song. I love his backup vocals, but I think Bono's voice makes U2 that much more unique and recognizable.

During U2's slow decline, as evident by the 1.4 million records they've sold in less than a month, I find it disturbing that they have not handed the singing duties over to the Edge. Let the Edge run the band and leave Bono to strum the rhythm guitar or a bang a tamborine. Then, just maybe, U2 will start selling albums again....:madspit:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
During U2's slow decline, as evident by the 1.4 million records they've sold in less than a month, I find it disturbing that they have not handed the singing duties over to the Edge. Let the Edge run the band and leave Bono to strum the rhythm guitar or a bang a tamborine. Then, just maybe, U2 will start selling albums again....:madspit:

Let us not forgot to can Adam! Lord knows they don't need him! :wink:

Ah, another negative u2 thread from Jick, that's just your opinion that u2 have been on a decline since TJT. Man, why are you still a fan of this band if you feel that way? I just don't get it. Move onto something else if you haven't fully enjoyed a record since TJT.

Anyway, I like Edge as a backing vocalist rather than a lead, so I wouldn't mind never hearing Edge sing the lead again IMHO.

Needle_Chill said:
I don't think he should sing a full song. I love his backup vocals, but I think Bono's voice makes U2 that much more unique and recognizable.
yup

Wow! You guys sure have issues about weeding out the real point of the post and instead choose to nitpick statements that were made in passing and non-essential to the subject of the post. Whether I should have been more prudent in choosing to declare "U2 slowly winding down" is beside the point. My point is, do you think U2 still has a brand new song in their pockets that will be fully/predominantly sang by the Edge?

Cheers,

J

Thread responses around here are SO predictable sometimes. :eyeroll: Geez.

To answer the question: I don't really see it happening, but personally I would love to hear something new with predominantly Edge vocals, and I think he could do it too.

Since Edge and Bono sound so much alike these days (as evidenced in Miracle Drug), Edge could start singing songs on the album pretending to be Bono. U2 could go on forever making albums that way, long after Bono's voice gives out. And we'd never be the wiser!

-Miggy

Miggy D said:
Since Edge and Bono sound so much alike these days (as evidenced in Miracle Drug), Edge could start singing songs on the album pretending to be Bono. U2 could go on forever making albums that way, long after Bono's voice gives out. And we'd never be the wiser!

-Miggy

They don't sound that much alike. Edge has limited vocal range, unlike Bono. Also, Bono sings with much more passion than the Edge. The only area where Edge has a slight advantage is that his voice isn't as thin or scratchy as Bono's of late - but Bono more than makes up for it in other areas. Bono is still THE singer and Edge the guitar player. But I was wondering if U2 still has a song in their pockets that just might be a better fit for Edge's singing style (like Numb) or that the song thematically calls for the Edge to sing (kinda like the cute bit on Miracle Drug where Edge had to sing because those lines contemplated a different persona and point of view).

Cheers,

J

Don't forget "Corpse."

I'd like to hear him sing another but doubt he will.

Back
Top Bottom