Does Bono wear real glasses or just shades? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2001, 06:07 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 10:59 AM
Does Bono wear real glasses or just shades?

I was wondering if anybody knows if those light blue wire rimmed glasses he wears around everywhere are real glasses or just more shades. They look like real eyeglasses to me. I know the large ones he wears in concert are shades and he has worn shades for years but I am starting to think he wears real glasses to help him see better. He wears them whenever he is offstage and even inside. Now I know he wore the Fly shades all the time but that was a gimmic and part of his character. Does anybody know how well Bono can see and if he needs glasses? My guess is he wears some of both, unless his shades are prescription too.

Old 11-15-2001, 06:42 PM   #2
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I've sort of wondered this too because I've seen him wearing completely tintless sun(?)glasses recently.

Old 11-15-2001, 06:48 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 03:59 PM
When ATYCLB got released U2 did a Radio 1 recording, and for those with internet access could view webcams in the studio, and Bono was wearing normal glasses that had the trendy oval shape, and you could tell they were real glasses because his eyes were magnified, pretty big actually but he still looked cool!
Old 11-15-2001, 06:51 PM   #4
War Child

Yeah he wore all the way clear ones in the Sweetest Thing video and VH-1 Legends and lots of other pictures the last few years like this one

Here is a recent one of his tinted(?)'shades'(?)

See? They look like real glasses to me. If he does wear glasses he shouldn't be embarrassed and try to hide it. It doesn't make you 'old' or anything! I mean lots of young people and little kids wear them too. I have contacts.

Any more info or clues anybody?
Old 11-15-2001, 06:52 PM   #5
War Child

If his eyes looked magnified does that mean he's nearsighted or farsighted?
Old 11-15-2001, 06:54 PM   #6
The Fly

If they are prescription they aren't very strong. They don't create any of the distortion of his face that a strong prescription (like mine) would do. Those black rimmed clear glasses he used to wear alot (the one's he wore when he got the Freedom of the City award) did create some distortion on one side, however, so maybe they are prescription (larger frames create more distortion.)

Given that he's now past 40, a time when our arms get too short to read small print , my guess is that the glasses he wears in daily life are more for reading glasses. You know, no-line bifocals with the bottom being reading glasses and the tops being either prescription if he needs it or not if he doesn't. (Lightly tinted shades are a common way for aging "cool people" to disguise bifocals )

I think you're right that the concert shades are just shades, and he either doesn't need much vision correction or has contacts during concerts since he has only fallen off the stage once while backing up
Old 11-15-2001, 07:47 PM   #7
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:59 AM
Yeah he probably wears a prescription now and then for vision correction. I know in Austin during Wild Honey he had trouble reading the lyric sheet which was on the stage so he had a fan hold it up in the air

I am practically blind without my contacts... his sight can't be too bad if he makes do without his glasses at times, unless he too wears contacts on occasion.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:48 PM   #8
War Child

He only wears real glasses when he's got his walker handy, depends on, and hearing aid turned WAAAAAAAYYYYY up!
Old 11-15-2001, 08:55 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:59 AM
bono should wear the type of glasses that rivers coumo from weezer wears!

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:01 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

At the concerts I've been to Bono seems like he can see pretty good. He notices little things and reads signs in the crowd. His eyes are BEAUTIFUL too! When he takes off his shades and blinks them and looks around and the lights are shining in them, I just melt!
Old 11-16-2001, 09:43 AM   #11
War Child

I was wondering this too, his new light blue ones do look like regular prescription glasses, doesn't anybody know? I thought there would be an answer for everything on this forum.

Anyway Bono looks hot!

------------------
~We need new dreams tonight~
Old 11-16-2001, 02:36 PM   #12
The Fly

I'm visually challenged (legally blind). I wore contacts from 1982 until 1999. Then I got glasses with which I can SEE better! The better to see U2 with, m'dear!! Bono wearing glasses is fine with ME! LOL!

------------------
"You're dangerous...'cause you're honest"
Old 11-16-2001, 02:59 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten:
His eyes are BEAUTIFUL too! When he takes off his shades and blinks them and looks around and the lights are shining in them, I just melt!
*shivers*
What an exceptionell description over what it looks like when he takes of his glasses onstage. I can really see it. Thanks! A moment in concert you don't really think of but is so personal.
And he takes them of first when the pressphotographer has left. If you haven't noticed, no pictures in papers are without glasses, only fanphotos.

------------------
"U2 on it´s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it´s audience is a culture" - Bono

"Hur er leget? Was it right? Hur är läget?" ~ Bono tries to speak swedish in Stockholm. Hur är läget? means How are you doing? by the way.
Old 11-16-2001, 05:56 PM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by MissZooropa:
And he takes them of first when the pressphotographer has left. If you haven't noticed, no pictures in papers are without glasses, only fanphotos.
I hadn't noticed that. That's cool!
I had the pleasure of seeing that moment up close from inside the heart in Salt Lake. He was almost facing in my direction when he took his shades off

Old 11-16-2001, 08:42 PM   #15
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by u2utah:
I hadn't noticed that. That's cool!
I had the pleasure of seeing that moment up close from inside the heart in Salt Lake. He was almost facing in my direction when he took his shades off

Bono's eyes!! ~~~~SIGH~~~~ I only hope they can see as good as they look!

------------------
~Just as you find me, always I will be, a little bit too free, with myself~
Old 11-17-2001, 03:51 AM   #16
War Child

Oh yes! Bono's baby blues are just beautiful! Thanks for your interesting and informative input everybody. If anyone knows anything else please post!