Does Bono wear real glasses or just shades?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Veranda

War Child
I was wondering if anybody knows if those light blue wire rimmed glasses he wears around everywhere are real glasses or just more shades. They look like real eyeglasses to me. I know the large ones he wears in concert are shades and he has worn shades for years but I am starting to think he wears real glasses to help him see better. He wears them whenever he is offstage and even inside. Now I know he wore the Fly shades all the time but that was a gimmic and part of his character. Does anybody know how well Bono can see and if he needs glasses? My guess is he wears some of both, unless his shades are prescription too.

I've sort of wondered this too because I've seen him wearing completely tintless sun(?)glasses recently.

When ATYCLB got released U2 did a Radio 1 recording, and for those with internet access could view webcams in the studio, and Bono was wearing normal glasses that had the trendy oval shape, and you could tell they were real glasses because his eyes were magnified, pretty big actually but he still looked cool!

Yeah he wore all the way clear ones in the Sweetest Thing video and VH-1 Legends and lots of other pictures the last few years like this one
bZ73905.jpg

Here is a recent one of his tinted(?)'shades'(?)
7W13730.jpg

See? They look like real glasses to me. If he does wear glasses he shouldn't be embarrassed and try to hide it. It doesn't make you 'old' or anything! I mean lots of young people and little kids wear them too. I have contacts.

Any more info or clues anybody?

If they are prescription they aren't very strong. They don't create any of the distortion of his face that a strong prescription (like mine) would do. Those black rimmed clear glasses he used to wear alot (the one's he wore when he got the Freedom of the City award) did create some distortion on one side, however, so maybe they are prescription (larger frames create more distortion.)

Given that he's now past 40, a time when our arms get too short to read small print
wink.gif
, my guess is that the glasses he wears in daily life are more for reading glasses. You know, no-line bifocals with the bottom being reading glasses and the tops being either prescription if he needs it or not if he doesn't. (Lightly tinted shades are a common way for aging "cool people" to disguise bifocals
wink.gif
)

I think you're right that the concert shades are just shades, and he either doesn't need much vision correction or has contacts during concerts since he has only fallen off the stage once while backing up
biggrin.gif

Yeah he probably wears a prescription now and then for vision correction. I know in Austin during Wild Honey he had trouble reading the lyric sheet which was on the stage so he had a fan hold it up in the air
biggrin.gif

I am practically blind without my contacts... his sight can't be too bad if he makes do without his glasses at times, unless he too wears contacts on occasion.

bono should wear the type of glasses that rivers coumo from weezer wears!

bono.gif

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

At the concerts I've been to Bono seems like he can see pretty good. He notices little things and reads signs in the crowd. His eyes are BEAUTIFUL too! When he takes off his shades and blinks them and looks around and the lights are shining in them, I just melt!

I was wondering this too, his new light blue ones do look like regular prescription glasses, doesn't anybody know? I thought there would be an answer for everything on this forum.

Anyway Bono looks hot!

------------------
~We need new dreams tonight~

I'm visually challenged (legally blind). I wore contacts from 1982 until 1999. Then I got glasses with which I can SEE better! The better to see U2 with, m'dear!! Bono wearing glasses is fine with ME! LOL!

------------------
"You're dangerous...'cause you're honest"

Originally posted by U2Kitten:
His eyes are BEAUTIFUL too! When he takes off his shades and blinks them and looks around and the lights are shining in them, I just melt!

*shivers*
What an exceptionell description over what it looks like when he takes of his glasses onstage. I can really see it. Thanks! A moment in concert you don't really think of but is so personal.
And he takes them of first when the pressphotographer has left. If you haven't noticed, no pictures in papers are without glasses, only fanphotos.

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

"Hur er leget? Was it right? Hur ?r l?get?" ~ Bono tries to speak swedish in Stockholm. Hur ?r l?get? means How are you doing? by the way.

Originally posted by MissZooropa:
And he takes them of first when the pressphotographer has left. If you haven't noticed, no pictures in papers are without glasses, only fanphotos.

I hadn't noticed that. That's cool!
I had the pleasure of seeing that moment up close from inside the heart in Salt Lake. He was almost facing in my direction when he took his shades off
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by u2utah:
I hadn't noticed that. That's cool!
I had the pleasure of seeing that moment up close from inside the heart in Salt Lake. He was almost facing in my direction when he took his shades off
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Bono's eyes!! ~~~~SIGH~~~~
icon35.gif
I only hope they can see as good as they look!
icon35.gif

------------------
~Just as you find me, always I will be, a little bit too free, with myself~

Oh yes! Bono's baby blues are just beautiful! Thanks for your interesting and informative input everybody. If anyone knows anything else please post!

Back
Top Bottom