Does anyone know what U2's least selling album is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remember, the worldwide totals above are most likely inaccurate as many of the totals for albums are very outdated. Rattle And Hum is considered a single disc. Only the Best of... Limited Edition counts as 2 and only in the USA. In Europe, they only count the package, not the number of disc. In Europe the Best Of has sold over 6 million copies.

I'm really out of it today..last hour of work...I meant to say even with the double sets counting as ONE sale U2 would have sold over 100 million records. Still, that is interesting info Sting. I wonder why the US would count it as 2 sales & Europe 1.

The outdated sales totals plus POP, Best Of and ATYCLB would bring total sales to about 93 million. Although its March 8, 1997 as the report date, the figure for the Joshua Tree is from December 1987. Same with Achtung December 1992. I'd put Joshua at about 25 million now and Achtung at about 16 million. My World total estimate in 2002 for the entire catalog would be 116,558,597.

Originally posted by STING2:
Remember, the worldwide totals above are most likely inaccurate as many of the totals for albums are very outdated. Rattle And Hum is considered a single disc. Only the Best of... Limited Edition counts as 2 and only in the USA. In Europe, they only count the package, not the number of disc. In Europe the Best Of has sold over 6 million copies.

Just to clarify a bit more, while the special "Limited Edition" 2-CD set of the "Best Of" counts as double according to the RIAA, the single CD version of the "Best Of" does not. As such, the 2-CD set went Double Platinum, but since that's "counted twice" this really means it shipped (sold) one million units to stores (take one million units and multiply by the number of discs - in this case 2 - and you get the Double Platinum status).

The single CD version went Platinum, meaning it shipped (sold) 1 million units to stores.

Therefore, the "Best Of" sets combined have sold about 2 million copies (1 million copies of the double CD set and 1 million copies of the single CD version) to actual consumers in the U.S.

However, I feel this is a bit low. The double CD set of the "Best Of" sold about 400,000 copies to consumers the first two weeks alone (those were SoundScan numbers, so it is NOT "counted double"). Therefore, it is my guess that actual U.S. consumer sales of the two "Best Of" sets are closer to 3 million copies.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 02-22-2002).]

I've heard several times that U2 has sold over 100 million records. I'm assuming this includes singles, & EP's, but does that mean double albums count as 2 sales? For example, R & H & the Best of...If Rattle & Hum sold 10 million copies, does the RIAA counts it as 20 million? Unless I'm doing the math incorrectly, that's the only way I can see how the sold over 100 Million. Anyone?

Whoops, I think I did the math incorrectly. I forgot to add in the best of. I was just going by the above #'s. Even with counting the doubles as 2 sales, I think the sold over 100 mil...

Back
Top Bottom