does anyone just not really care about U2 anymore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rivergoat said:

I don't know about any of the other folks who have been fans for the last 15+ years or so, but I find Bono's politicking amusing... oh, I know he's doing his good deeds and all, but it's still hard for me to believe that the same guy who used to sing his heart out at Live Aid and Amnesty (like a voice in the wilderness, never seemed like anyone WHO COULD MAKE A REAL DIFFERENCE heard him) is now cozying up with world figures and politicians... and actually getting stuff done... I mean geez! it took ya 20 years to catch an ear pal?

For those of y'all who are SICK AND TIRED of Bono's non-musical pursuits, I can only say that he's been crying out to get shit done for 20 years and now he FINALLY has the popularity to get him enough CLOUT to make folks actually listen to him... Am I sick of it? No way... you go, Bono...

And EGADS! a few YEARS between albums? Omigod! You mean they aren't gonna throw out fluff and nonsense just to make a fast buck???? You mean I might have to try and track down obscure recordings and bootlegs to satisfy my overwhelming U2 cravings? You mean I have to listen to something else for a change just so's I can appreciate what those four lazy mofo's get around to putting out WHEN THEY DARN WELL FEEL LIKE IT?? WTF would I be mad at them for?

I'm a consumer, they're the producers... it's not like it's cotton candy.. lots of sugar, lots of air - no real sustenence (sp?)... I'd rather be satiated than saturated...

just my thoughts...

much love

goat

}:)~

:yes: I agree!Good post.

A lot of good points have been made so far. One thing I think that may be playing a factor at this time is the lack of a recent U2 side project. In between Zooropa and Pop they put out Passengers. And in between Pop and ATYCLB they put out The Million Dollar Hotel. The last two have been off center and I think for good reason ? ? doing something different.? Some of us may have not liked one or both but at least it was ?something? and new (and having the anticipation for it / getting into it / having some discussion about it). I am surprised that U2 did not undertake for example a soundtrack project and released it earlier this Fall (or even earlier this year). Let?s see ? it could have been a soundtrack to film with the theme of folk-alternative country music (in the vein of Larry?s work on Emmy Lou Harris? Wrecking Ball) or the theme of Celtic music (could have been for the new ?Irish? film In America?). Since Bono has been very busy working for Africa this project could have just been about a couple new original songs by U2 and the rest could have been cover songs by U2 (even including some guest vocalists / duets / etc.) Edge / Adam / and Larry could have done most of the work. Imagine the buzz in the ?U2 community? in September with some leaked songs and alternate versions / the single (with 3 songs) released in October / and the album released in the first week of November!

Heck ? we could even make our own fictitious U2 side project release just in time for Christmas!

Name of the film ??????????.?

Headlines: "New U2 Project Sees Them Travel Into America's Heartland"

Song Selection:
Still Water ? Lanois / Adam / Larry
Jolie Louise - Lanois / Adam / Larry
Dreaming With Tears In My Eyes ? Bono & Larry
Slow Dancing ? U2 & Willie Nelson
Don?t Forget About Me - Adam & Larry (these 4 are from Nanci Griffith?s Flyer album)
These Days In An Open Book - Adam & Larry
On Grafton Street - Adam & Larry
This Heart - Larry
Wrecking Ball album ? Lanois & Larry (I believe Larry performs on 9 of the tracks but why not include the whole thing ? some critics have called it ?The Joshua Tree Part ll?)

Bonus Songs? (in honour of Johnny Cash):
The Wanderer ? U2 & Cash
One ? Cash?s version
Don?t Take Your Guns To Town ? U2
Don?t Take Your Guns To Town ? Cash
Hurt ? Cash (gotta include this one)

Last edited:
I still love U2 as much as I ever did. I did go through a period when I didn't pay attention to rock music, period, because I was so into medieval re-enactment. I got back into heavy-duty fandom after awhile, however, and I'm still there--and so are the medieval costumes. Each keeps me from burning out on the other.

HeartlandGirl said:
I know what you mean, mikal. I was ragging on U2 the other day to my husband, and he about fell out of his chair. I'm tired of seeing Bono on CNN. I want to see him on a new album cover.

This is my only complaint. When people tell me "Oh, Bono was on tv last night," I'm like, "Yeah, I know what for, but I'm ready to start shelling out money again to see him in person."

Theres too much great music around to ever limit yourself to just one Band... I havent really been listening to U2 much for the past year at least but it dosent mean I don't still love their music... I'm still back here every day hoping and praying that there will be some info on the new album... Even rumours of titles so we can have a really good argument about which one it'll be! (I recall being right about All That You Can't Leave Behind the last time round!!). And I can't wait to hear what the guys have been up to for the past few years....

In the meantime though I've been enjoying all sorts of other stuff! Heavily into Roxy Music (the Chris Thomas produced stuff is mindblowing - bodes well for U2!), Talking Heads (their Once In A Lifetime boxset is great.), Daniel Lanois' new stuff, Brian Eno solo stuff (Especially Before And After Science - beautiful album), The Flaming Lips, Peter Gabriel, Emmylou Harris (Stumble Into Grace is one of the best albums ever made), Blur's new album, Bowie's new stuff... The list goes on!! It's good to have a broad taste in music!!

I always find it interesting that I tend to end up liking music that is connected back to U2 in some way. Obviously Eno's solo work and Lanois' albums fall into that category. But exploring other artists that Eno and Lanois have worked with over the years is an educational experience! Might be one avenue for those suffering U2 withdrawal symptoms to explore!!

Back
Top Bottom