Does anyone have the Unforgettable Fire gold remaster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, The Unforgettable Fire Gold Disc has the proper FULL length '4th of July', which is a good enough reason for ME to buy it...

ALSO- (Jump down my throat for this, I don't care...I get enough of it here, anyway...)

Ballymun said:

As much as I have sympathy for your position, Rastat, what you're requesting here amounts to nothing but piracy. These are commercially released albums, which shouldn't be copied by anyone. Would you like someone to copy the rest of U2's back-catalogue for you while they're at it?

I understand the problem of the Mobile Fidelity discs being out of print and almost impossible to find now - but, if you missed out, it's nothing but a hard-luck story.

I suggest you find someone selling the original MFSL discs on eBay, and be prepared to pay what they're now worth.

If someone already has the albums, then it's hardly 'OOOH! BLACK MARKET! PIRACY!' for someone to copy them a re-mastered copy of a record they already have...!

So do you really consider it necessary to climb on your soapbox and start giving him a lecture on how it's "hard-luck" that he missed out on getting a remastered CD?

And that goes for ALL OF YOU trying to find something insulting in what he asked, if he's got the originals and someone copies better quality version for him, what are U2 going to do...?!...as if they come HERE! Throw a hissy fit and demand this user be banned for wanting to enjoy their music even more?!

Please...! I think a lot of people need one of these 'reality checks' and need to stop jumping up and down trying to be all law-abiding and faithful to the band, trying to rumble piracy like vigilantes and trying to make a big song and dance for all to see when somebody makes a request, quite frankly not seeing the scale of what they are asking when they were actually asking...

I agree with you, Paddy.
And thanks to the person who posted the link to amazon. I didn't know this CD was still available. I just ordered a new copy, and it's being shipped next week. I've never been happy with the crappy sound quality on my current UF CD. I'm really looking forward to playing this!

Originally posted by
if he's got the originals

Which is the big question, isn't it? He probably does have the originals, but who can be sure?

not seeing the scale of what they are asking when they were actually asking...

What Rastat was asking was for someone to pirate three of U2's commercial albums and post them to him. It's as simple as that. On the piracy scale, I'd say that's pretty damn heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow I feel it's NOT the same copying these out-of-catalogue cds than copying the rest of the U2 catalogue (which I own in its entirety - original...

Seriously, what are you trying to prove?!

You could easily email him or send him a private message pointing out any 'wrong-doing', as it's really a crime to want to enjoy a disc even more...you really don't have to go and put him down and try and make yourself look like such a goody-goody in front of everyone...

Just get him to send you some photos of his entire collection...and stop whining on about how it's piracy and stop bringing 'It's a COMMERCIALLY RELEASED album!!' into it...

Quick question, and I would like an answer...Do you have any U2 bootlegs?

Ballymun said:

Which is the big question, isn't it? He probably does have the originals, but who can be sure?

OK. if THAT's the big question, then it's the end of the discussion. I have ALL the U2 discography, and if you want a picture of it just email me and I'll send the picture (or pictures from different views, if you want to be sure that it's not a fake picture, or even better, a video showing ALL my cds, so you can see my entire collection... or maybe my shopping tickets, so I can prove I paid for them...)

Who do you think you are? Are you telling me that I'm a liar from my first post?

If you really want to clarify things, send me an email and we'll talk about it... otherwise I won't answer to any of your comments from now on...

I've seen some pretty bad 'piracy' debates before, but this takes the cake.

The CDs aren't being made any more. The guy would like to hear them. How else do you propose he find them without forking over a large sum of money he probably doesn't have to spare to spend on an album HE ALREADY HAS? No-one's being denied ANY money here, besides some person over-pricing the album online.

Be practical, folks. (By the way, the sucker for UF in me wouldn't mind this gold edition either ...)

Last edited:
Axver said:
How else do you propose he find them without forking over a large sum of money he probably doesn't have to spare to spend on an album HE ALREADY HAS? No-one's being denied ANY money here, besides some person over-pricing the album online.

Be practical, folks. (By the way, the sucker for UF in me wouldn't mind this gold edition either ...)

What is a large sum of money to you? That is a relative term. For some $14.99 on a CD is a large sum so they just get the mp3's online. For others, it may be pocket change.

The album is not overpriced online. That has always been the going rate. Try to do a search for the Eagles Hell Freezes Over XRCD and you will see similar pricing. Perhaps you don't quite understand the remastering process. The sound engineers get the original master tapes and some of them actually bake them to get them back to sounding great. Then from the sound in the master tape, they have to rework it an master it again for a better sound. Then to make the CD have a better perceived cost, the jewel case is better, the CD booklet is usually more complete with a much better print quality. Add that to the fact that they remastering people have to pay royalties to U2, and that their market is a very small market (the audiophile market) with very small sales volumes -- then obviously they have to make their profit margins a bit higher.

Since when was there a rule that piracy is legal if the item is out-of-print? Besides the album is not out-of-print and you can stull find it online in the websites shown here so far.

So once again, I repeat my plea -- if its an original U2 album, let's not publicly talk about pirating the album in public. We can do it in private if ever, but that would still be unethical for me.

Cheers,

J

This is brutal.

It is totally ethical to copy a CD that is out of print. No one loses anything, accept people who would auction it off at an inflated price. At that point it has nothing to do with music, its about the object. Ethics and law are two different things.

I got in to U2 by copying 4 of their albums. I have copied music and given it to people because I want to show them how good a band is. I have made fans of other people by doing this. In the long run record companies and artists get more money because I do do this.

BTW, if he/she is looking for the remastered CD's, you think its possible that they wouldn't have the originals? Only U2 nuts go for these things, and most U2 nuts have the entire discography.

Blown way out of proportion.

Last edited:
Originally posted by
Quick question, and I would like an answer...Do you have any U2 bootlegs?

Yes - about 60. But that's a completely different argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
i downloaded all of u2's albums off kazaa

now, is it worse to ask someone to make copies of CDs that they own?! i dont get it...i'm sure we've all downloaded official songs off of the internet, and it's no better than asking someone to burn a copy of an official CD, it's probably worse

discothequeLP said:
i downloaded all of u2's albums off kazaa

Man, I just can't believe how complacent people on this forum are about piracy. It has really surprised me.

Ballymun said:

Man, I just can't believe how complacent people on this forum are about piracy. It has really surprised me.

Don't make sweeping generalisations. I wouldn't do what DiscothequeLP has done, I usually buy the albums of bands I really love.

However, there are some contexts in which I would copy and I do. I download music here in Spain because CD's are a fortune relative to the average wage. Teaching English does not pay much here. There is no way I could afford to buy all the music I want to listen to. When I have the money I buy the CD's I want, even the ones I have downloaded.

If DiscothequeLP has become a mega U2 fan, there is not way he/she could go and buy all of their records, it's expensive. Hopefully DLP will go any buy the CD's eventually.

It is a luxury to be able to buy all the CD's you want, so don't act all high and mighty.

I thought I should also mention that Bad on the Gold Disc is nearly 20 seconds longer than the Bad off of the Best Of disc. That alone should make you go and get it. :yes:

In fact, Bad on The Unforgettable Fire (regular ed.) lasts for 6:09, and the Best of version lasts for 5:50... the same 20 seconds...

I tried to hear the difference, but I think it's just white noise...

Back
Top Bottom