Does anyone have an explanation for this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
"Grace
She's got the walk
Not on a ramp or on chalk"

On chalk??

Anyone know what he means by this? it's been so bugging me!

------------------
"In my heart I'm not wearing any sunglasses baby"
Bono, to Larry, in response of being nervous on stage, 2000

*U2TakeMeHigher*

That bugs me too-maybe it refers to 'chalk' as in 'chalk on a sidewalk', but probably not.

Bono-please explain.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
That bugs me too-maybe it refers to 'chalk' as in 'chalk on a sidewalk', but probably not.

Bono-please explain.
biggrin.gif

LOL how great would that be? ringin up Bono - he'd definitely need caller ID loll

------------------

*U2TakeMeHigher*

perhaps chalk was simply phonetically sensible. maybe bono couldn't come up with anything better.

Carrie...the only thing that comes to mind for me is that chalk refers to something that is temporary, doesn't last forever; therefore, grace is not like that, but is eternal, and will always be there for us when we need it, and our footing will be sure when grace is our covering and our foundation.

Chris

Bono couldn't think of a better rhyme.
biggrin.gif

I can see it now...

*Bono is busy writing "Grace"*

*pauses*

Bono: Hey, guys? What rhymes with 'walk'?

Edge: Erm...talk?

Adam: Caulk?

Larry: Gawk?

Sicy: *appears from nowhere* Don't mind if I do!

------------------
BC's Dad: "Bono's parents should have named him Huey...Huey Hewson."

Bonochick's Place

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
chalk refers to something that is temporary, doesn't last forever; therefore, grace is not like that, but is eternal, and will always be there for us when we need it, and our footing will be sure when grace is our covering and our foundation.

You are just a genius
smile.gif

I think you should help Bono on the next album Chris when he has writer's block.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Bonochick:
Bono couldn't think of a better rhyme.
biggrin.gif

I can see it now...

*Bono is busy writing "Grace"*

*pauses*

Bono: Hey, guys? What rhymes with 'walk'?

Edge: Erm...talk?

Adam: Caulk?

Larry: Gawk?

Sicy: *appears from nowhere* Don't mind if I do!

LMAO!! BC this is exactly what I pictured too!
*Bono tapping pen impatiently*
*muttering* chalk fork stalk bjork..
wink.gif

I like Chris's explanation the best so far! Although he shoulda said "not on a ramp or like chalk" Lol! darnit B I thought u were gonna pass these things by me before you recorded it!

This is just a totally out there wild guess but could a ramp possibly refer to a model walking the catwalk and chalk could refer to the markers on stage that tell her where to stand? Maybe he's saying "Grace" doesn't need that kind of attention?

I agree with the model's catwalk explanation

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Thanks everyone!! I never thought about the model's view either...

i guess my next question would be .. so what came first? the word that rhymes or the idea Bono wanted to convey and then the rhyme?

but i guess if you put it with "she's got the walk" then the model thing makes the most sense..

oh well guess i will have to give him a ring gina.

------------------

*U2TakeMeHigher*

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:

Can you ask him about 'hot as a handbag and a can of mace'?
confused.gif

And there are others I have-I'll get my list together and we can have a conference call.
biggrin.gif

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam
The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry
No, I will not do the snake dance for you~Bono

confused.gif

And there are others I have-I'll get my list together and we can have a conference call.
biggrin.gif

LMAO@Gina...and I'm sure Bono would have a lengthy explanation for everyone of them too Gina...by the way, if you need any assistance in that conference call, count me in.
wink.gif

Chris

Ok Chris-and I MUST ask Edge about Numb.

And I don't care how long it takes him to explain that one-I could listen to him talk FOREVER.
biggrin.gif

Of course, could he get a word in 'edgewise'
biggrin.gif
w/ Bono on the line too?
wink.gif

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
Thanks everyone!! I never thought about the model's view either...

i guess my next question would be .. so what came first? the word that rhymes or the idea Bono wanted to convey and then the rhyme?

but i guess if you put it with "she's got the walk" then the model thing makes the most sense..

Okay, this is what I understand from the updated edition of Into the Heart of U2 book...Grace was put into storage several times during the writing/recording of ATYCLB. Eno was struggingling to find a melody to help it take flight. Bono had not yet linked it with a lyrical cue. It was put on the shelf again.

When they started working it for the third time, Bono wrote something very beautiful for it. Bono had the idea that they should approach the subject matter of "grace"

This is a direct quote from the book: Its a tribute to womankind. You sense the spirit of Ali informing it but Grace is not just about an individual or about women, it about a way of dealing with the world that offers intimations of another, better place.

So, I guess the answer to your question would be that Bono had something to say about the subject of grace and the rhyme followed. (at least according to this book)
smile.gif

Both the ramp and chalk are ways to help someone walk. The ramp makes you walk higher, and the chalk straiter. Grace needs niether of these...

Ramp = She won't be walked over
Chalk = She won't wash away ...

????

No idea.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Not on a ramp..in that she's not off the ground

Or on chalk...Like kids scribbling ont eh sidewalk in chalk, her shoes dont' get chalk on them

She's grounded,..yet somehow divine.

Could chalk refer to rocks by the sea? Walk could refer to an elevated porch or viewing area that looks out over the sea (known here in New England as a Widow's Walk) and in some places the rocks by the sea take on a chalky appearance, or are actually chalk.

Just a thought....

Hmmm...

I never gave it much more thought, but I always thought of it along the lines of chalk marking " out of bounds" like in a football game.

------------------

What in God's name have you done?
Stick your arm for some real fun...
Rest in peace Layne.

confused.gif

Sometimes HOT=SOMETHING STOLEN. New York of course is famous for pick-pocket thieves snatching purses away from poor little ladies, especially tourists. So maybe the metaphor is that the mace and handbags are not literally "hot", but seen as HOT in the eyes of criminals.
smile.gif

Oh and I also like the catwalk thingy for "Grace" Makes sense.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

confused.gif

biggrin.gif

That would only make us Fight! I *hate* when he does that little squidge hand motion to spray mace!!
mad.gif
and don't get me started on the statue of liberty pose!! LOL

But yes, a conference call we can do. Shall we add live video feed to that?

------------------

*U2TakeMeHigher*

Originally posted by She ls Raging:
Hmmm...

I never gave it much more thought, but I always thought of it along the lines of chalk marking " out of bounds" like in a football game.

that may be it then, chalk marks boundaires on the ground, a ramp..is elevated. It's like a horizontal/vertical thing

Originally posted by dhodgdon:
Both the ramp and chalk are ways to help someone walk. The ramp makes you walk higher, and the chalk straiter. Grace needs niether of these...

This explanation. I like it. Whenever I hear the chalk line I get an image in my head of somebody trying to "walk the line" and not step off of the chalk. So, yeah. I think this makes a lot of sense.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom