Do You Wish U2 Would Make More Albums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something else to remember when you make the Beatles comparison: The Beatles stopped touring after 1966. That goes a long way in showing how they were able to produce so many excellent albums in such a short span of time.

u2popmofo said:
Believe it or not Gickies, you arent the only one here who doesnt think that everything U2 does should be held holy and that we should all just be good little fans and be happy about every single thing the bands says/does/makes/wears. I actually find it a breath of fresh air to hear someone with different opinions/points of view in these boards.

You're right, you or anyone else don't have to like everything the band does. But on the other hand, I don't like this insinuation that, just because some people do not share whatever particular problem you might have with something the band said or done, it means that they're happy-wappy little unquestioning fans. I think that all of us could point at something we dislike about the band, but it might be completely different things we're unhappy with.

The_acrobat said:
On U2 selling out. Yes, I think it's fucked up that they didn't go anywhere besides Europe and North America on Elevation. But I think that they were really trying to make a shitload.....kinda make back what they didn't make off Popmart. Believe it or not, the members of U2 aren't these gifted souls sent from heaven to make music for us. They are human, they are in a business, and they want to make as much money as they can at it. I can't blame them for that. Although I don't agree with their high ticket prices, it worked for them. Every show was a sell out. Bands who charge half of their prices don't sell out as many shows as they did. Their profit margins on Elevation were enormous, and that's just what they wanted to do.

Go some places they haven't played before, like China or India or something. Bono said it himself..."let's see colours no one else has seen, and go to places no one else has been." I'd like to see U2 get more adventurous on this next tour. Wouldn't it be great if someone like Bill Flanagan followed U2 on their first venture through India or China, for instance. They should explore beyond USA and Europe.
Still play USA and Europe, yeah, but go elsewhere too.

I didnt think ticket prices were high at all. The best seats for $45? how many other Big bands can you say had that kind of deal going? All bruce tickets were $75! the best seats to see the rolling stones? Madonna? ALOT! My dad paid for all mine and my sisters tickets to all the elevation shows we saw (cause i am spoiled!) and he thought it was a good price. $45 is the most i have paid for a concert ticket yes, but I would pay $75 a ticket to see it all over again. I think the tickets were good priced in the scheme of things.

U2 can't afford to go every where. They've done it in the past and it didnt work too well. I am sure their label and everyone to do with their what they do on tour had a lot to say about them going to places like Asia, Australia etc. I doesn't work too well. I don't think them and their bosses not going bankrupt is selling out. Or a bad thing at all. Lots of credible bands do the same thing. It just won't work going there.

I don't have time to read the preceding posts..bummer.

I think U2 are very prolific. I am so impressed with their existing body of work. It is immense.
I am full of desire for more of the musical workings of U2, I could listen to as much as they would like to release, no worries. They have toured Australia 3 times already. Now for a band that is from the other side of the world and puts on such a large show, I think that is pretty impressive.
So I relish what I have already. New albums and.....................

a tour

**faint**

would be the icing on the cake:)

I remember being irritated at the ticket arrangement when the Elevation tour was announced. When I heard "general admission" for the price I was used to paying, I was mad. I'm short and hate being jostled around; I didn't want anything to do with it. And when I found out the prices for the reserved seating, I threw up my hands and grumpily decided not to go.

Of course, in hindsight now that I've heard so many boots and seen so many vcds of the tour, I'm kicking myself. If they do a similar arrangement on the next tour, you bet your sweet bippy I'll do the general admission thing.

I'd wait for years if it meant a mind blowing album and incredible, worldwide tour. It's worth the wait, definitely.

PopFly said:
Australia, actually, is a traditionally strong U2 market. No idea why they didn't venture down there for Elevation.

Due to the low Australian dollar. At the time it was almost half a US dollar. Therefore they'd either have to double the ticket price or sell twice as many tickets to make the same amount of money - and Austarlia's population isn't really that big.

Saracene said:

You're right, you or anyone else don't have to like everything the band does. But on the other hand, I don't like this insinuation that, just because some people do not share whatever particular problem you might have with something the band said or done, it means that they're happy-wappy little unquestioning fans.

That's right

I think that all of us could point at something we dislike about the band, but it might be completely different things we're unhappy with.

This is exactly what I was trying to say. We could all pick something we weren't happy about that the band has done, but they would be different things. That's why it's so dumb when people call each other 'bad fan' or fights break out over people dissing a certain album, when those same people are guilty of ragging another album. It seems like people get so defensive over their own taste and opinions and hate people who disagree, and that's really stupid. So you like this and he hates it and likes that, I mean, so what? But when it got to where there were so many threads bitching about U2 it got really old and annoying, so that's why I think if anyone is so displeased with the band that's all they want to post maybe they should cool it here for awhile and find some other band's board they are more happy with.

Ticket prices.

The Rolling Stones are coming to Singapore for two nights, tickets ranging from S$100 to S$500, about US$58 - US$294. The best seats for a U2 show would be about S$75 here, which is usually a mid-priced seat (David Gray, for instance, or Moby). However, you have to factor in things like airfare, bringing in the cargo over long distances and so on. All this adds up.

corianderstem said:
Something else to remember when you make the Beatles comparison: The Beatles stopped touring after 1966. That goes a long way in showing how they were able to produce so many excellent albums in such a short span of time.

They also put out 6 albums (including Rubber Soul & Revolver) and a bunch of non-album singles from 1963 to 1966. When they stopped touring they were only together for basically 3 more years and put out Sgt. Pepper, The White (double) Album, Abbey Road & more. That's usually the amount of time bands these days, including U2, take between albums & tours. U2 actually has been pretty prolific in the last few years with the MDH soundtrack, ATYCLB, B-sides, the tour, DVD's, Best of with new songs, and possibly a new record for Xmas.

Back
Top Bottom