do you think that there's strength in bono's sunglasses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if this thread is a trouble making thread then i dont know what is not a troubling making thread.

Why dont you take a break from posting threads for a while and try just REPLYING to other threads instead.

I'm asking nicely.

Behind Bono's sunglasses

October 20, 2005 - 4:09PM

U2 singer and world aid activist Bono has revealed his penchant for sunglasses stems - at least in part - from a medical condition.

"Very sensitive eyes to light," he said in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

"If somebody takes my photograph, I will see the flash for the rest of the day. My right eye swells up."

But the Irish performer admits his shades are handy for others reasons too.

"It's part vanity, it's part privacy and part sensitivity," he said.

Bono dubs himself the "Imelda Marcos of sunglasses" in the interview, to be published in the forthcoming issue of Rolling Stone.

And his favourite brand? "Bulgari," he confided.

"A lot of people think that, when they see a 'B' on the side, that it's just my own megalomania. Only half the time it is."

The singer, who met US President George Bush for lunch in Washington today, said he had no fear of political leaders.

"They should be afraid, because they will be held accountable for what happened on their watch," he said.

"I'm representing the poorest and the most vulnerable people. I'm throwing a punch, and the fist belongs to people who can't be in the room, whose rage, whose anger, whose hurt I represent."

But despite his confidence, Bono said he would "watch his mouth" and try to be respectful to Mr Bush.

He said he wanted to "shake this man's hand", seeing as he would soon be doubling US aid to Africa.

I'd have to say that John Lee Hooker's sunglasses were probably more powerful than Bono's. Maybe that's where the whole fascination started? Edith Piaf probably had sunglasses too. I've seen pictures of Van Morrison hanging around with John Lee Hooker....you guessed it, he had sunglasses on. I think Bono's volume of work is more important than the power of his sunglasses, but, in fairness? He was way ahead of the curve with the fly things. Popular culture is saturated with oversized shades now.

Most of it comes off as fashion house paintball protection.

Sicy said:
Why dont you take a break from posting threads for a while and try just REPLYING to other threads instead.

I'm asking nicely.
I honestly think threads like this one generate more interesting content than "_______ song is amazing", "Rank the albums", or "Random poll" threads.

I don't think the original poster should be blamed if things go off the handle a bit inside a thread. :drool:

It's just that we're in the doldrums as far as new album news goes, so we have to be more creative :D

Yes, they help him get away with kneel/soul in his lyrics, evading taxes and feeding the African children. It's only thanks to the BonoGlassesTM he can talk to the world leaders on debt aid. His glasses are his cryptonite.

It's a mix of insecurity/public persona, and it is possible over the years he got overly sensitive to light. What do you know? He stated as much in interviews.
No beard and no shades (+shorter hair) makes him look younger.

are you saying that the weight of the strength in his shades makes him look older?

U2girl said:
Yes, they help him get away with kneel/soul in his lyrics, evading taxes and feeding the African children. It's only thanks to the BonoGlassesTM he can talk to the world leaders on debt aid. His glasses are his cryptonite.

:drool:

Back
Top Bottom