do you think that there's strength in bono's sunglasses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know what he's said about his eyes being sensitive, and I'm sure that is true. However, I really think he wears the glasses mainly as a filter between him and the world.

The guy can't go anywhere without having people taking pictures of him, wanting a piece of him so to speak. I don't blame him at all for wanting to hide behind his shades most of the time.

I don't get why allergies would mean he should always wear sunglasses? I thought it was more because he's sick of the flashes and spotlights on him all the time, they hurt your eyes after a while.

But personally, I don't think it's the real reason. I think it's habit, the Bono persona he's created for himself, and maybe some insecurity like it's easier to be the Bono persona than the real Bono.

I don't really like them because there aren't many colors or styles I like on him and now so many other celebs wear them all the time, it's pretty annoying. I swear the man has more shades than all of my shoes, purses/bags, and other accessories combined. It's rather diva-ish in a way. He's becoming a caricature of himself.

Well maybe he just likes wearing them too. Nothing wrong with that :shrug: It's none of our business anyways what he likes to wear. :wink: Even though we like to make it our business.

Caroni said:

Hey, I still like him, but it's true! At least when he played The Fly, he usually only wore glasses when he was The Fly (or out in the bright sun). Now, he wears them in the dark or in dimly-lit rooms in situations that have nothing to do with U2. But hey if that's what he likes, no problem, I'd just rather see his eyes. Plus there's so many other celebs that do it, it's not really signature anymore. He should find something new...

Yeah I'd love to see his eyes more too, he's got great eyes. Some of the situations mentioned here though that people think he should not be wearing glasses (like at night, indoors... ) I'm sure he gets just as many people snapping pictures, (and flash pictures at that) in those situations, so why shouldn't he protect his eyes then too, probably even more so with the flashes.

Can you imagine being constantly photographed no matter where you go or what you are doing every single day of your life? Dang.

Last edited:
Liesje said:
I don't get why allergies would mean he should always wear sunglasses? I thought it was more because he's sick of the flashes and spotlights on him all the time, they hurt your eyes after a while.

But personally, I don't think it's the real reason. I think it's habit, the Bono persona he's created for himself, and maybe some insecurity like it's easier to be the Bono persona than the real Bono.

I totally agree with Lies. I highly doubt it has to do with sensitive eyes. I think he just liked to wear them, thought it was a cool "rock star" thing to do and it became his trademark. It's getting kinda old thats for sure.

love2bmama said:
However, I really think he wears the glasses mainly as a filter between him and the world.

It's the same reason I wear a welder's mask to the grocery store. Those colourful fruit and veggies are blinding...BLINDING!

Liesje said:

Hey, I still like him, but it's true! At least when he played The Fly, he usually only wore glasses when he was The Fly (or out in the bright sun). Now, he wears them in the dark or in dimly-lit rooms in situations that have nothing to do with U2. But hey if that's what he likes, no problem, I'd just rather see his eyes. Plus there's so many other celebs that do it, it's not really signature anymore. He should find something new...

:up: The 'round-the-clock shades were cool when they were about irony. I agree, it's time for something new and less forced.

Earnie Shavers said:
"See the world in green and blue." That, and red, are about all he's seen it in since 1992.

I'm pretty sure they're only tinted on the outer layer. :|

Earnie Shavers said:
"See the world in green and blue." That, and red, are about all he's seen it in since 1992.

I love those lyrics..."green and blue...1992" :love:

Last edited:
I think it's part of his public persona, the glasses are his real trademarks.
And I also believe that he is wearing them because of a certain kind of sensitivity, and also for privacy.
Man, if I'd be photographed wherever I go I would probably wear glasses all the time, too.

angelordevil said:

It's the same reason I wear a welder's mask to the grocery store. Those colourful fruit and veggies are blinding...BLINDING!

:lmao:!!!

When we saw him in London on the Thursday night. There was loads of people taking pictures of him. He was constantly lit up by camera flashes.
Some of the flashes were inches from his face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFyGIH3YTGw

Last edited:
cherie blair claims she only looks like she has a weird face in photos because of how strong the flash of the cameras are

I think he wears them because he's kind of wrinkly around the eyes. Although they're gorgeous blue eyes, they aint what they used to be. (Takes one to know one)

elevated_u2_fan said:
This thread is dangerously close to descending into PLEBA territory...:down:

Not that there's anything wrong with that.:shifty:

this doesnt make sense.

JCOSTER said:
Hey Shannon, you saw him you really think he looks like 56? :huh:

let's put it this way...

this platform that bono and my friend pat are standing on is at the same level behind the desk as it is in front... they are both leaning over, all be it at different angles. pat is more or less the same height as i am, approx. 6'3"

patbono.jpg

this bono guy is a wee fella'

Headache in a Suitcase said:

let's put it this way...

this platform that bono and my friend pat are standing on is at the same level behind the desk as it is in front... they are both leaning over, all be it at different angles. pat is more or less the same height as i am, approx. 6'3"

patbono.jpg

this bono guy is a wee fella'

What does that have to do with him looking older than 46?:huh:
And yes, he is small about 5' 7" / 5' 8" with the shoes.

Back
Top Bottom