do you think that bono truly believes in his causes... - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2007, 04:25 AM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:20 AM
The funny thing is U2 will actually be paying more taxes in Holland than they have been in Ireland for the past 25 years. (as opposed to not paying anything in the past, now that would be, according to St/Sir Bono, 43% of roughly one third of all of their income. show me anyone that would willingly do that over paying less when possible.)

I would guess the band have payed, pay and will continue to pay a lot more taxes than the average Irish resident due to their big income, fancy cars/houses etc.

And I think getting governments to drop their debts and trade fairly with Africa, co-founding things like RED and EDUN or DATA or one.org (shall I put on the contactmusic.com's article on the band and McGuiness donating money on the last tour) is walking the walk. Less people would be doing less about poverty if people like Bono or Bill Gates or whoever wouldn't be raising awareness.

And I think given how much critisism he's picking up everywhere for it, there could hardly be any worse PR.

Even if we assume that he hasn't donated anything on his own and that this is all about him wanting to "have a place in history" for something beside the music - is the cause worth any less for it?

Old 01-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #92
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by kimby

1) They are still paying taxes on the part of their business they moved to the Netherlands...the taxes are lower, but still taxes.

2) They are paying the taxes to the Netherlands.

3) On another fan website a poster mentioned that the Netherlands was the only European country currently meeting the spending goals on world poverty...

It's not *avoiding* taxes, it's putting them where they'll do the most good...
does that mean that of germany was the country in the world that donated the most to fight world poverty, u2 would have moved their business to germany, even if germany had the highest tax rate in the world?

Old 01-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #93
The Fly

Local Time: 03:20 AM
I think that Kimby was probably joking about that. I'm pretty neutral on the tax thing myself. I can understand why Irish citizens would be miffed, on the other hand, who out there really would line up to pay more taxes when there's a way for them to reduce that cost? I know I jump at any tax deduction I can find. It doesn't affect my opinion on how much they believe in their causes - I see them as two separate issues.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:20 PM
The thing is, not all Irish citizens complain that not enough is done to help the poor. Bono's taxes could not only be donated to Africa, they could be used mainly to help the poor of IRELAND, his homeland after all! Has he forgotten what it's like in Ballymun?

I am always surprised at the great lengths people will go to to justify him. If he were just anybody and not a member of U2, I bet most of them would think he was a 'greedy' 'hypocritical' bastard
Old 01-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #95
ONE
love, blood, life

I donate to charity.

I encourage others to as well

I also try and limit my tax liability.

Does that make me a son of a bitch?

Or a hypocrite?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #96
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
If he were just anybody and not a member of U2, I bet most of them would think he was a 'greedy' 'hypocritical' bastard
If you (and I mean the vague 'you,' not you personally) look at a wealthy man trying to make a positive change in the world and you think, "gosh, what a greedy, hypocritical bastard," I think that says a lot more about you than it does about the wealthy do-gooder.

And that applies whether the wealthy do-gooder is a celebrity or not.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #97
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:20 PM
Quote:
The thing is, not all Irish citizens complain that not enough is done to help the poor. Bono's taxes could not only be donated to Africa, they could be used mainly to help the poor of IRELAND, his homeland after all! Has he forgotten what it's like in Ballymun?

I am always surprised at the great lengths people will go to to justify him. If he were just anybody and not a member of U2, I bet most of them would think he was a 'greedy' 'hypocritical' bastard
Honestly, I don't care if I get crucified for this but you are so idiotic. If there was a middle finger smiley it would be pointed right at you.

Why don't you just spew your hatred somewhere else? Please.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Bono's taxes could not only be donated to Africa, they could be used mainly to help the poor of IRELAND, his homeland after all! Has he forgotten what it's like in Ballymun?
As has been pointed out to you about three bejillion times, Bono does indeed pay taxes to Ireland: Many millions of dollars in taxes.
As amazing as this may seem to you, Michelle, as the fount of all knowledge, he does not have any control over how that money is spent. He cannot direct that the taxes he pays to Ireland will go to the people of Africa, or indeed to the people of Ballymun (which, by the way, was a middle-class community when he grew up there). Feck!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:50 PM
I have no opinion on the rest of this thread but U2 are a middle class band, they all grew up as part of the middle class, despite Bono's attempts in the past to make himself sound as if he came from a rough part of town, "working class street cred" and all that
Old 01-11-2007, 10:03 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
I donate to charity.

Or a hypocrite?
It makes you a normal person with some level of compassion AND common sense.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:07 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
I have no opinion on the rest of this thread but U2 are a middle class band, they all grew up as part of the middle class, despite Bono's attempts in the past to make himself sound as if he came from a rough part of town, "working class street cred" and all that
You can see my last post.

I haven't seen articles in which Bono has portrayed himself as a working class lad from a hard part of town. In fact, he expressed confusion: "Am I working class or middle class? I don't know. Somewhere in between."
Old 01-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #102
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

It makes you a normal person with some level of compassion AND common sense.
Really?

Don't you need to know how wealthy I am before judgement can be passed?

I may be very rich. Make $500,000 a year.

Or maybe I'm middle class. Make $40,000 a year.

Maybe I'm right at poverty level. Only give $20 a year to my local church, but I think it's important.

Do ya'll think Warren Buffet has a team of lawyers limiting his tax liability?

Are his charitible gifts "false" or "tainted?"

Is he an immoral person?
Old 01-11-2007, 10:12 PM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

yah, i've got loads of relatives who cheat on their taxes, but they still have very big hearts.

and fyi, ballymun, while is no O.C., is certainly getting better. we had some kickass parties there over the summer, and the people were awesome. all those millions of dollars that the individual u2 members pay in taxes (along with everyone else that lives there) are definitely making an improvement. only 3 of the towers remain, and people are being moved into actual townhomes. they look pretty nice too! white and browns and such. not bleak and concrete like the original flats. some people actually have a garden outside their home for the first time in their lives!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #104
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:20 PM
Quote:
Don't you need to know how wealthy I am before judgement can be passed?
Depends on whether you're judging someone based on the fact that they give to charity, or if you're judging someone based on how much they're giving.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:12 AM   #105
The Fly

Local Time: 03:20 AM
Quote:
I donate to charity.

Or a hypocrite?
do you travel around the globe, asking governments to raise the tax levels of their countries in order to donate more to the poor?

now, do you?