do you think that bono truly believes in his causes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2Kitten said:

Oh don't worry you're fine! The main mods here hate me so much they think it's just fine for people to insult me and make me the butt of jokes, and they believe I 'deserve' it. In fact I am sure the only reason I'm not banned is because it's too much fun for them to watch people torture me! You could have threatened to kill me and they won't do a damn thing. It's only me after all, I don't count.

Paranoia at its finest. People probably hate you because you think that others are conspiring against you. It shows in your posts. You think that everyone is against you. It's so goddamn ridiculous. You should take a loooooong break from this forum because you seriously need it.

I don't know how I can explain that it's not hatred! I don't even hate him! All I'm trying to do is explain how he appears to other people, people who don't love or worship him, average people, the ones he's trying to win over! He's hurting his own cause, IMO.

You sure are beating the dead horse more than ever though. And it sounds like you are listening to what other people say which is unfortunate. Others aren't going to listen anyways if they don't like U2.

I bet you switched your bitching about his hair to this so you'd get more comments and people would pay attention, right? :happy:

U2Girl1978 said:

You should take a loooooong break from this forum because you seriously need it.

Sadly, she kind of already did. :lol: And it's the same old stuff, yet again...

U2Girl1978 said:

Paranoia at its finest. People probably hate you because you think that others are conspiring against you. It shows in your posts. You think that everyone is

Oh yeah sure that's how everyone loves to write it off. Most of the time I am being messed with (like that smilie thread, and fanatic's sig which is a result of it, just one of many examples) and yeah sometimes not, but I am so touchy because of all the majority of the times it is true. As long as everyone keeps telling me I'm not being messed with, I will continue to be messed with. If you hate me that much, ignore my posts, unless you enjoy ragging me for fun. (yes this stuff has been discussed off the board, to no avail)

So back to Bono? I am so glad to see U2man taking a stand on this, because people will have to address his questions realistically and not the same way they gang up on me. So let's hear some more views. Copy, whoever you are an alter of (who could blame you for not wanting to get attacked) you make some excellent points.

U2Kitten said:

Oh yeah sure that's how everyone loves to write it off. Most of the time I am being messed with (like that smilie thread, and fanatic's sig which is a result of it, just one of many examples) and yeah sometimes not, but I am so touchy because of all the majority of the times it is true. As long as everyone keeps telling me I'm not being messed with, I will continue to be messed with. If you hate me that much, ignore my posts, unless you enjoy ragging me for fun. (yes this stuff has been discussed off the board, to no avail)

So back to Bono? I am so glad to see U2man taking a stand on this, because people will have to address his questions realistically and not the same way they gang up on me. So let's hear some more views. Copy, whoever you are an alter of (who could blame you for not wanting to get attacked) you make some excellent points.

Did you not see or get the response I gave Bonoloveslave (via PM) (mod)?? WTF.... OK, ms. parnoid why are you bringing me into this!! THAT SIG HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU! OMG...you serious need to step away and take some valium or something.. You think everyone is out to get you.

I don't appreciate the personal attacks on me (where you used my name in a prior post (and in this one) and personally attacked me and then removed it from the post) and being brought into these so called discussions. If you have a beef with me take it to A PM FOR GOD'S SAKE!:mad: I plan on sending a PM to a mod to complain about this. Your behavior is totally inappropriate!:huh:

U2Fanatic4ever said:

Did you not see or get the response I gave Bonoloveslave (via PM) (mod)?? WTF.... OK, ms. parnoid why are you bringing me into this!! THAT SIG HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU!

Yeah that's what you said, but gimme a fucking break, it IS in reference to the "I hate this smilie" thread in Lemonade stand, and you didn't put it there until after that! You and many other second grade bully types were multiplying the smilie hundreds of times, and blowing it up large, and reposting it, just because I said I didn't like it and y'all thought it would be funny to mess with me, and you know it.

For awhile I thought I actually had a cool thread going, seeing which ones people didn't like. Then it got taken over by the same types that chased me around the playground in elememtary school with pointy leaves after they found out I was scared of poison ivy. Thankfully by the time they were 12 or 14 they had outgrown such stupid ways of finding humor.

I can't understand why some people think it's so funny to find out what bugs somebody and try to get a reaction, then try to tell them they are only 'paranoid' and no one is doing that. That is enough to drive you nuts if you're not already.

That :applaud: X infinity NOT a reference to that thread, and me? I'll eat your monitor.

Now, back to Bono? Come on fanatic don't you have anymore self righteous speeches for us? This thread is about him, not me. Let's keep the garbage out of it. U2man has a sensible discussion going on.

U2Kitten said:

Yeah that's what you said, but gimme a fucking break, it IS in reference to the "I hate this smilie" thread in Lemonade stand, and you didn't put it there until after that! You and many other second grade bully types were multiplying the smilie hundreds of times, and blowing it up large, and reposting it, just because I said I didn't like it and y'all thought it would be funny to mess with me, and you know it.

For awhile I thought I actually had a cool thread going, seeing which ones people didn't like. Then it got taken over by the same types that chased me around the playground in elememtary school with pointy leaves after they found out I was scared of poison ivy. Thankfully by the time they were 12 or 14 they had outgrown such stupid ways of finding humor.

I can't understand why some people think it's so funny to find out what bugs somebody and try to get a reaction, then try to tell them they are only 'paranoid' and no one is doing that. That is enough to drive you nuts if you're not already.

That :applaud: X infinity NOT a reference to that thread, and me? I'll eat your monitor.

Now, back to Bono? Come on fanatic don't you have anymore self righteous speeches for us? This thread is about him, not me. Let's keep the garbage out of it. U2man has a sensible discussion going on.

go ahead and keep thinking that. It isn't in reference to that thread and you! How many times do I have to state that it's not. I already explained myself and told her what it was about and I don't need to explain it here. But you are going to go ahead and attack me anyways and believe whatever you want..

LEAVE ME OUT OF THIS.. and if you have a beef with me take it to a PM please.. Who is acting like the child here? Certainly not me..

You are derailing this just like you did the Lola thread. You keep bitching at me but you won't shut up either. Give it a rest!

Back to the topic. And 'fanatic' is going on my ignore list NOW.

oh I am so sad about this latest development... Apparently someone isn't adult enough to take it privately. Just publicly in front of everyone..

And being put on the ignore list is the best present I could of asked for.. thanks for that!

Looks as if this thread is gonna get closed because a bunch of bitchy people have to snipe at each other instead of at least acting like adults.

Oh well. It was a good thread for a while U2Man.

You know I am trying to act like an adult here by making a particular suggestion but it gets ignored.. The adult thing to do if she had a beef with me would be to discuss it privately via PM. But apparently she doesn't want to be civil/i.e. adult about by doing it that way.

U2Man.. sorry for this really.. but getting pulled into a discussion by being personally attacked by someone when I was not involved (and this so called discussion/attacks has no place here and has nothing to do with this thread topic) and trying to remain silent about until now. I had to defend myself somehow..

While his humanitarianism is to be commended, I'm a little worried he is pandering to right wing America in his very none voiciferous stance on human rights crimes being carried out in the Middle East by our so called leaders.

U2Kitten said:

Oh don't worry you're fine! The main mods here hate me so much they think it's just fine for people to insult me and make me the butt of jokes, and they believe I 'deserve' it. In fact I am sure the only reason I'm not banned is because it's too much fun for them to watch people torture me! You could have threatened to kill me and they won't do a damn thing. It's only me after all, I don't count.

Whatever, U2Kitten, you're the ONLY person who is making things bad for yourself...and comments like this do NOT help.

The name-calling and bickering needs to stop.

Now that I quickly addressed that situation though...allow me to take some more time to reply, since issues constantly keep coming up.

U2Kitten, I don't understand why you can't just peacefully post at this forum. You SET YOURSELF UP for trouble. You've used alters in the past to stir the pot. You're paranoid that the moderators hate you and take glee in others abusing you, especially members of this supposed cool, popular crowd that you think is immune to the rules.

THERE IS NOT A SINGLE PERSON AT THIS FORUM THAT THE RULES DON'T APPLY TO.

U2Girl1978 had absolutely no right to call you idiotic. That is a personal attack, and that is not allowed. All you would have had to do is use the function to report a thread, and one of us would have handled it. Instead, you had a snotty little reply about how the mods don't care because we're all against you anyway. That is extremely insulting.

I will NOT continue this discussion in public either, so don't even bother replying. This actually isn't even a discussion...I'm just laying some stuff down and clarifying things. I hope you gain SOMETHING from this post.

jinn77 said:
While his humanitarianism is to be commended, I'm a little worried he is pandering to right wing America in his very none voiciferous stance on human rights crimes being carried out in the Middle East by our so called leaders.

that is a good point. he does say some things about his stance on some of those issues, though not as blatantly as he does about Africa. i find it hard to stomach sometimes, but i think one time he made a good point when he said that it isn't just a left-wing issue. i commend him for being willing to sit and talk with people that i'm too prideful to respect sometimes. that is dedication at it's finest.

first of all, i would like to thank bonochick for not closing this thread despite of all the useless bickering. cannot you guys bicker on eachother in private via pm or email, especially when it is totally irrelevant regarding the topic here? it would be appreciated - this thread went on well and peacefully with lots of good posts and opinions until now.

now, back on topic:

redhotswami said:
Bono
S040.JPG
U2

U2 > Bono

i have seen this argument used by a few of you when people bring up the issue about bono trying to avoid taxes while asking others to donate more of their tax money at the same time.

cannot you see how weak this is?

bono is talking about "make poverty history", "this is what our generation has set out to do", "this is our putting a man on the moon"...!

....and yet he cannot convince his nearest friends and business pals that it might not look good and it might hurt his cause that they move a tiny division of the company out of ireland in order to avoid taxes...

"hey look guys, i know we might miss a few thousands pounds each year and we might miss a drop more in our sea of money, but look, i don't want the most important issue to mankind to get hurt by such trifles. i don't want to be called a hypocrite. there's too much at stake here. please.".

i guess i would say that a truly convinced bono should be able to persuade his nearest friends about this. if he cannot even persuade them, how on earth should he be able to persuade the rest of the planet?

U2Man said:
i guess i would say that a truly convinced bono should be able to persuade his nearest friends about this. if he cannot even persuade them, how on earth should he be able to persuade the rest of the planet?

See now I think that is a weak argument. I don't know if that is exactly a reflection on how convinced he is. Some people you can talk to til you're blue in the face, and they won't budge. For example, I'm pretty set in my own convictions. I try to talk to others about them, some agree, some don't. Just because some disagree doesn't mean that I am any less convinced in my beliefs. That just means some people are that much convinced in their own. Not everyone in this world can be convinced to share your own beliefs. That doesn't make them any less valid, does it?

:corn:

I love threads like this. They attract posters from all over the spectrum; those that will bash everything he does, those that will defend everything he does, the sensible ones, trolls, etc...

It makes me feel all warm inside.

U2Man said:
first of all, i would like to thank bonochick for not closing this thread despite of all the useless bickering. cannot you guys bicker on eachother in private via pm or email, especially when it is totally irrelevant regarding the topic here? it would be appreciated - this thread went on well and peacefully with lots of good posts and opinions until now.

now, back on topic:

i have seen this argument used by a few of you when people bring up the issue about bono trying to avoid taxes while asking others to donate more of their tax money at the same time.

cannot you see how weak this is?

bono is talking about "make poverty history", "this is what our generation has set out to do", "this is our putting a man on the moon"...!

....and yet he cannot convince his nearest friends and business pals that it might not look good and it might hurt his cause that they move a tiny division of the company out of ireland in order to avoid taxes...

"hey look guys, i know we might miss a few thousands pounds each year and we might miss a drop more in our sea of money, but look, i don't want the most important issue to mankind to get hurt by such trifles. i don't want to be called a hypocrite. there's too much at stake here. please.".

Again, U2man :hug: :sad: I am truly sorry for being a part of the thread derailment! I tried a few times to get it done privately but to no avail. I so appreciate Bonochick coming in and getting things straight hopefully.

Anyways...
getting back on topic... I would think this must be a killer for Bono not being able to get his nearest and dearest friends totally persuaded on this.. He is certainly fighting the good fight and is determined to keep it up till the day he dies.. I admire him for his perseverance:wink:

redhotswami said:

See now I think that is a weak argument. I don't know if that is exactly a reflection on how convinced he is. Some people you can talk to til you're blue in the face, and they won't budge. For example, I'm pretty set in my own convictions. I try to talk to others about them, some agree, some don't. Just because some disagree doesn't mean that I am any less convinced in my beliefs. That just means some people are that much convinced in their own. Not everyone in this world can be convinced to share your own beliefs. That doesn't make them any less valid, does it?

no, not at all.

but why is it that those who are so close to bono cannot see what is at stake here? millions and millions of lives. why are they not convinced by bono's rhetoric? why cannot they see this that this is our putting a man on the moon? why? cannot you see that there is something very fishy about this?

doesnt it make you wonder what is actually going on when the camera and the mic arent on? when bono is sitting in the pub with his friends?

Last edited:
U2Man said:

no, not at all.

but why is it that those who are so close to bono cannot see what is at stake here? why are they not convinced by bono's rhetoric? why cannot they see this that this is our putting a man on the moon? why? cannot you see that there is something very fishy about this?

no i agree, there is something fishy going on there. but i don't know, you know? they certainly aren't as vocal about their opinions. i think it sucks too, i do. but, like i said, some people are just so damn stubborn.

i just don't think their opposition (if it is an opposition...i don't know what else to call it right now, the proper word escapes me) means that bono doesn't truly believe in his causes.

U2Man said:
doesnt it make you wonder what is actually going on when the camera and the mic arent on? when bono is sitting in the pub with his friends?

obviously, i can't speak for the band, since they haven't spoken publically about this (which is another red flag, isn't it?) but i can only speak with my personal examples. like, i have my own causes, and as important as they are to me, when i visit my family, i'm often told to shut up about them. maybe it is kinda the same deal with bono and these guys?

obviously Bono was on board with moving part of U2 Corp out of Ireland.

You really think if Bono went to the band and said that it was really really important to him that they stay in Ireland that the rest of the band would have said "Fuck you, we want the money"?

i find that highly unlikely

redhotswami said:

obviously, i can't speak for the band, since they haven't spoken publically about this (which is another red flag, isn't it?) but i can only speak with my personal examples. like, i have my own causes, and as important as they are to me, when i visit my family, i'm often told to shut up about them. maybe it is kinda the same deal with bono and these guys?

well, maybe. but i cannot help wondering. if you couldnt even convince your closest friends about something - wouldnt it make you wonder if your cause is totally unrealistic, even if you're sincere about it?

Chizip said:

You really think if Bono went to the band and said that it was really really important to him that they stay in Ireland that the rest of the band would have said "Fuck you, we want the money"?

i would have to say that i concur.

Chizip said:

true. i don't know. its all speculation. obviously he played a part in the decision making because they are a band and decide things together. who knows how it went down. :shrug:

i just wouldn't take this one example as something to completely dismantle what bono stands for. because he has gone through great lengths in other ways to defend his causes.

U2Man said:

well, maybe. but i cannot help wondering. if you couldnt even convince your closest friends about something - wouldnt it make you wonder if your cause is totally unrealistic, even if you're sincere about it?

nah, i'd say "fuck em" and find people that would agree :wink: i'm pretty stubborn myself.

like, for example, weighing in these two things he has done:

Lunch with Bush v. Avoiding Irish Taxes

I think the former is much heavier than the later...but that is just me :wink: I don't think anything can top that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom