do you think that bono truly believes in his causes... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:00 PM
"The trouble with our ideals is that if we live up to all of them, we become impossible to live with."-Brennan Manning

Thoughts?

Old 01-09-2007, 03:08 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Galeongirl

because that dinner was EIGHT YEARS LATER

FYI the wanker thing happened at the mtv awards in 1995, Bono got knighted in 2003...
Don't you think a lot of stuff has happened in those eight years?
He also disagreed with Blair on Iraq. But he did talk to him about aid too. He has admired America for years but he has also critisized Reagan on JT tour. Which is also why we probably won't get a "Down with Bush!" U2 song anytime soon.

Things aren't that black and white in politics.

And when he publishes how much he donates "officially" (no one knows for sure, but let's assume anyway) the same people that were crying "hypocrite" will just change the tune to "braggart". And his activism will be fine as long as people like Jeffrey Sachs and Paul O'Neill and all the presidents/ministers etc he meets... get convinced by the facts, not by the way he talks, walks, acts or looks.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

I do realize that anything a person does is better than nothing so he deserves that much credit. But my point is I have seen scathing comments and articles on Bono and I know what the average person who isn't a devoted fan thinks of him and it's not helping his cause.

Here are just a few examples:

http://www.conjecturer.com/weblog/?p=3214
http://20six.co.uk/billcarmichael/art/2346370
http://www.14giants.com/2006/11/04/bono-hypocrite/
http://instapundit.com/archives/033713.php
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...AAHxlQ8&show=7

I've read entire articles, too, but can't find them now. He really needs to change his image problem if it's to help his cause like he wants, IMO.

Do I think he truly believes in his causes? Yes.

Does he walk the walk after he talks the talk? No.
yes, some random blogs are totally "scathing" criticisms of Bono. he should really be concerned about what some angry pessimistic morons on the internets think.

I'm sure there have been entire articles, and we're all well aware that many people think Bono is a hypocrite - including Bono. He's admitted it. He knows it's ridiculous to be a rich rock star campaigning for the poor. he admits to having an indulgent lifestyle. I don't think that's a bad thing. I think anyone rich has the right to indulge themselves, to a certaine extent at least (really they have the right to do whatever the fuck they want). Gates spends so much money, but he keeps plenty for himself too. I don't see why that's a problem. How much Bono spends I don't know, though I'm guessing a lot of his travelling expenses and stuff comes out of his own pocket. beyond that I know not. I'm not gonna say he donates tons of his own money because I have no idea. But he has obviously devoted a lot of time and effort into this, and I really do think he's made a difference. is that so bad? no one's saying he's perfect. He's not a saint. But he's trying to help people. You can say he's not giving enough (which we don't really know - does he have to give away all his money for people to think he really cares?), but he has helped regardless. It's better than nothing.

FYI, I don't fall into any of your three categories. I don't think Bono's perfect, but I agree with what he's doing and I do get sick of people bashing him. One of my friends does sometimes and I don't usually argue with him, I just sort of shake it off, but if we're having a discussion on a U2 forum I don't think it's outrageous to *gasp* defend someone from U2. I don't do a lot for charity myself but I've done a bit and I don't feel particularly guilty about it. some people devote their lives to these things, some people give a little, some people give a lot, some don't bother with it at all.

you brought some interesting discussion to the thread though, so I thank you for that. it gets boring if we all agree
Old 01-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:00 PM
This thread makes me uncomfortable and for that it gets a ...

It’s nice to have some discussion without name-calling or the usual unquestionable worship.

I have always thought that when it comes to activism or social causes or charity it is better to be a hypocrite than to not give a shit at all.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

did bono ever finally disclose what he felt about iraq? i read somewhere that he had said that blair was wrong on iraq, but i also read somewhere that when asked directly, he dodged the issue by answering something along the lines of "this is a complex situation...".
Old 01-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Bill Gates only started giving as much as he does after Ted Turner publicly called him out on the fact that he didn't. And so what. And he lives in a huge mansion, I doubt that he gives up any luxury personally and who cares. He is still doing much good for many people. Oprah is dripping in diamonds while she is opening her 40 million dollar academy for African girls. Oprah lives like a queen and she doesn't apologize for it. Why should she really? She earned her money, and so did Bono. They both came from humble beginnings.

They are all only human, they all love the creature comforts and luxuries in life-even Angelina. Maybe even Mother Teresa enjoyed a luxury once in a while, even if what she considered a luxury was far removed from what most people would. In fact I can't think of one rich/famous person who gives up any of that, but in my mind that still doesn't take away from what they do for others. If it does for other people, well that's perfectly fine. But it certainly is easy to be an armchair quarterback, so to speak.

And I feel no need or desire to defend Bono, that's about the lowest thing on my priority list.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
did bono ever finally disclose what he felt about iraq? i read somewhere that he had said that blair was wrong on iraq, but i also read somewhere that when asked directly, he dodged the issue by answering something along the lines of "this is a complex situation...".
did you ever see bullet the blue sky this tour?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:00 AM
I heard an interview of Bono on radio where he did say i disagreed with Tony Blair on the war in Iraq and i continue to disagree with him about going into Iraq.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #54
Val
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

Val, don't assume anything you don't know about me. thanks.

Fair enough.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono

did you ever see bullet the blue sky this tour?
no, i always skip bullet.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Is there any point to bringing up Bono and Iraq? It's not one of his "causes" and he's never clearly stated how he feels. Everything is pure speculation, especially what we base on the Vertigo songs and performances. U2 has always been known for leaving things open-ended so pretty much anyone can adopt a song and find meaning for him- or herself. Are we really going to evaluate Bono's work against poverty based on what we *think* he *might* feel about Iraq?

I disagree with a lot of my friends and half of my immediate family re. the Iraq war, but we still love each other and can get on without passing judgment based on a single issue. Why even go near this can of worms?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:07 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

u2girl mentioned it.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

There are 2 possible choices:

1. He really believes.

2. He doesn't really believe. It's all just PR to sell more records and make more $$$.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:15 AM   #59
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
There are 2 possible choices:

1. He really believes.

2. He doesn't really believe. It's all just PR to sell more records and make more $$$.
But there are far easier ways to get more PR...
Old 01-10-2007, 12:18 AM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by kimby

But there are far easier ways to get more PR...
bingo.