do you think that bono truly believes in his causes... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2007, 07:22 AM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:12 PM
hey, i agree with that. i think maybe, in the past, bono was more likely to jump on every possible cause that there was to support or protest, while now he is more focused on africa. i just hope that it will stay that way and that he won't jump from africa to another cause in a few years, like he has done in the past.

it does seem like he cares a lot about the african issue, even if his speaches seem a little contrived.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #32
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

i know that. and i've read bono on bono or whatever its called. but it just seems to me that there is a contradiction between playing the practical political game where you have to give and take and make compromises and truly believing in all your causes. i mean if he really felt chirac was wanker for what he has been doing, why have dinner with him? because it might help the african cause that he truly believes in? sure, but the people in the pacific exposed to radiation must wonder

because that dinner was EIGHT YEARS LATER

FYI the wanker thing happened at the mtv awards in 1995, Bono got knighted in 2003...
Don't you think a lot of stuff has happened in those eight years?

oh and one more thing U2man.... Why?

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 01-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

why what? isn't this a perfectly legitimate discussion? please keep it civil and don't yell.

radiation does not disappear in 8 years. some of it stays for thousands of years and causes cancer among the native population. 8 years may be a lot for a human being, but regarding the cause here, exposure to radiation, it's nothing. absolutely nothing.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:12 AM
If you want to see my views on this check out the "Lola's at it again" thread in PLEBA. I got lambasted over there for suggesting I can see why some casual and non fans see Bono as a hypocrite. As a fan I care!

He does set himself up for criticizm by doing stuff like buying Maseratis and 14 million dollar apts. after whining to us about 'the price of a movie out' saving lives. How many lives could he have saved with half of that fourteen million? How many AIDS drugs could he have purchased? Why do his kids wear shoes made in sweatshops? Why do he and Ali think $150 for a pair of jeans is 'reasonably priced' for most people? They are so rich they are totally out of touch. Even in Africa he finds the poshest place to stay. An Elevation tour truck driver told me he was so picky about hotels he wouldn't even stay in some major cities if they weren't good enough for him. He never even acknowledged the African Well Fund set up in his honor by fans until someone met him and spoke to him about it.

I know a lot of fans, especially on PLEBA, say he gives a lot but we don't know because he doesn't disclose the amount. That's a lot of blind faith there. I really think if he did give, you'd hear about it, since he's so high profile and always likes to draw attention to the cause, and himself. Bill Gates puts his money where is mouth is, if Bono did, you'd know.

I do realize that anything a person does is better than nothing so he deserves that much credit. But my point is I have seen scathing comments and articles on Bono and I know what the average person who isn't a devoted fan thinks of him and it's not helping his cause.

Here are just a few examples:

http://www.conjecturer.com/weblog/?p=3214
http://20six.co.uk/billcarmichael/art/2346370
http://www.14giants.com/2006/11/04/bono-hypocrite/
http://instapundit.com/archives/033713.php
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...AAHxlQ8&show=7

I've read entire articles, too, but can't find them now. He really needs to change his image problem if it's to help his cause like he wants, IMO.

Do I think he truly believes in his causes? Yes.

Does he walk the walk after he talks the talk? No.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

well, u2kitten, that's a nice piece of research and i thank you for your contribution to this thread.

one question: can you TRULY believe in something and not walk the way you talk?

this is a general question, not pertaining to bono alone.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:07 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
well, u2kitten, that's a nice piece of research and i thank you for your contribution to this thread.

this is a general question.
Thanks. The way it looks to me, my answer would be

no
Old 01-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

also i'm not happy to hear about any kind of lambasting in that other thread (which i had never seen). again, i'd like to kindly ask anyone to remain calm and control their temper or whatever. i don't want this thread to be a burden to the mods.

a thank you in advance.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, for one thing, I don't know if that's so cool to call people out like you just did. I did not participate in the conversation, and therefore am neutral. But honestly if you have beef with a few people it is just best to settle it with them, instead of trying to pull other people into it. If you're looking for support for your opinion, that's cool, and totally understandable. But to actually mention them like that is kinda mean, don't you think?

Anyway, I wanted to address some of your questions:
I didn't know his children wore shoes made in sweatshops, that was a surprise to me. Ali has stated their family only eats organic foods and shes looking to purchase fuel-efficient cars. Plus, with her Edun line going on, that is weird to hear they are conscious about every thing else and not clothing for their children. For the record though, I think Ireland is one of the top fair trade nations in the world. When I was there, I hadn't seen so many fair trade merchandise before in regular stores! So...I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just saying I'm surprised by that, because what I've read would suggest to me otherwise.

As for $150 jeans...none of my Edun jeans have cost that much money. I have 2, and I haven't paid more than $60, which is about what you would pay at GAP, a company known for sweatshop labor.

I wouldn't say they are totally out of touch. Ali has said she is unhappy with how expensive organic foods are, and how expensive it is to live in Ireland in general.

As for Bono being open about how much he gives, that is a good point. And I have no proof, but what I have always assumed is, in our religious upbringing, talking about how much you give is discouraged. There's a sort of humility in keeping it private, and not seeking approval from others.

As for walking the walk, I think I'd disagree. Only because, it certainly is not easy to travel from country to country, meeting loads of people, preparing speeches, and whatnot. Sure, we can't see the monetary efforts, but we can certainly see the time, patience, studying, and other efforts he has put forth to this cause. That's a lot more than just walking. He walks, and then some! I, personally, think that if you're going to put that much into it, might as well drop some dollahs too.

So...that's my input. Again, I'm not disregarding your knowledge, or questioning your fandom, I'm just stating my opinion.

Lets not turn this into a fight of sorts. I just wanna have an open discussion.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

oh, and yes, u2kitten, the pointing out of names were unnecessary. could you edit it out before it's too late? it will most likely only drag any kind of old personal hostility between you guys to this thread.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:30 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks, you are moderating this thread well. No need to toss bricks *ducks*

In the Baltimore GA line in 2001, I met a a lady surgeon who had followed the band from the beginning. Having a high income, she was able to travel in some of the same circles as Bono, and had met him and spoke to him several times (not talking about brief fan meetings) It was her opinion, though she did not condemn him for it, that he was doing what he was doing to make history, to be remembered for something besides music. He wanted his name attached to it, just not his pocketbook

Another way Bono gets seen as more of a hyporcrite these days is because the band is leaving their homeland to avoid paying taxes. For one thing, look how much his taxes could help the poor in Ireland. Doesn't he care or owe anything back to his own country? How can he with a clear conscience beg for money for other countries while turning his back on his own?

The biggest factor in that to the cause is, his speech is always to bug your representatives to vote to donate money, he's basically asking for it from governments instead of individuals. But where do governments get their money? From TAXES- paid by me and you- but not Bono

So again, how can he ask of others what he will not do himself, IF he cares so much?

The way I see it, Bono could set up his own charity that would be tax deductible, and that way he could give his money to who he wanted to. But it looks like he doesn't want to give it to anyone but himself

IMO, the fans who viciously defend him as being this saintly guy who must give in secret and justify everything he does must fall into 3 categories:

Fan who loves Bono so much they can't imagine him doing anything they don't want him to, therefore, to them, he doesn't

Fans who feel obligated to defend him

Fans who, perhaps themselves, feel a little guilty about not doing enough, so they justify it to themselves that if Bono doesn't cough it up as much as he makes, they don't have to either. Bringing up money and material fun things bought instead make them feel uncomfortable for themselves, so they must defend Bono, so on some smaller scale, they are also "okay."

I am not saying everyone should give all their money away. I was disturbed once to read a post where a lady told her six year old son he couldn't have a basketball net because kids in Africa didn't have toys. But those kids don't live in America (She was from Boston) where most kids, even poor ones, do. You can't compare lifestyles. They don't expect much over there, because they don't see it every day. It's a lot harder to be poor in the US where you see everyone else living better off.

All I am saying is that if a person speaks so much on something and wants others to follow, he needs to practice what he preaches and not look like a big mouthed, insincere, pretentious hypocrite.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
oh, and yes, u2kitten, the pointing out of names were unnecessary. could you edit it out before it's too late? it will most likely only drag any kind of old personal hostility between you guys to this thread.
Okay, I did it! Wow, you are a very good and fair mod!
Old 01-09-2007, 11:39 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

this is a general question, not pertaining to bono alone.
very interesting question U2Man. i'd have to respond saying that there are different forms of walking, so to speak.

i, for one, have a pretty outgoing and spontaneous personality. my world is pretty big, so, i get around

however i do have friends that are passionately concerned for a lot of the same causes that are important to me. however their personalities aren't as dynamic. so they don't go around volunteering or tossing around money. BUT, that isn't to say they aren't walking. they vote, they engage in discussion, and they keep up with the lastest news about it.

so...just because we can't see the walking all the time, i don't think that means that walking isn't happening. i read this one poem...i can't remember who wrote it, but there was this one line that said even one tiny drop of water can cause ripples in the lake.

so there are walks, and there are ripples. lots of people care about causes, but can only act on them given their own capabilities.

did i at all answer your question? i don't know if i did...
Old 01-09-2007, 11:39 AM   #43
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

Okay, I did it! Wow, you are a very good and fair mod!
He's not a mod, but I do appreciate how he is striving to keep this thread civil, as do all of the other mods.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 01-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:12 AM
I thought U2Man's question was whether or not Bono believes we can really accomplish what he says we can, NOT "what do you think of Bono and what he's doing?"

So, as for Bono's goals, yes I do believe what he's advocating is attainable. I believe that Bono isn't the type of person to just jump on whatever pet cause is cool at the time. He does his research, he talks to the right/smart people, he goes there and meets with local residents and their grassroots organization, he listens to politicians and college students alike. When governments have done what he advocates, they've had much success. He believes that ending stupid poverty and stopping disease pandemic is possible, and so do it.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #45
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:12 PM
He's crazy to be moderator quite ages ago already

Lol and he's already foolin a few