Do you think that Bono makes U2 distinct?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooshadow

The Fly
I think it is Bono, don?t get me wrong I like em all and they work well as a unit using the other members as a platform for their own talent. I just think that it is Bono who lifts them above other bands his voice that chills me and makes me smile. His poetic lyrics that seem unworldly and have spoken to\helped\effected a generation of persons. I would say something about stage presence but having not seen them, I will leave that for another.

So why in your mind are they distinct?

Cya dudes

zooshadow said:
So why in your mind are they distinct?

Bono's voice.

Edge's guitar playing, definitely.

The reason that their friendship since teenage-years holds them together and makes them write new and amazing songs everytime they try to.

Does Bono have a powerful, beautiful voice? Yes
Does Bono have an unique way to sing, almost live through the songs? Yes
Is Bono a great poet and songwriter? Yes
Does Bono have a great stage presence? Yes

But all of that would only make him a successful singer, performer and songwriter, like so many others.

Are all the other three band members really competent musicians and songwriters? Yes

But then they would be recognized for that, only.

What makes U2 distinct is something really unusual in the musical scene. Friendship, commitment and trust. And a lot of hard work all the way. But those three facts are the key, at least in my humble opinion.

Ditto what Falling Star and follower said (Falling Star, you mentioned Edge's guitar work...definitely, a great example of his guitar playing: "Bullet The Blue Sky". My dad says that when they talk about greatest guitarists, people tend to forget to mention Edge, but he should be included).

Adding to that: Larry's drumming...I'm really beginning to appreciate the guy's drumming in songs more and more.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom