Do you think Edge is a guitar "great"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps we're talking about pure rock guitarists here, but I haven't heard mention of John McLaughlin. His Mahavishnu stuff is insane.

As for Edge (and the rest of U2 for that matter), I'm not blown away technically, but I cannot appreciate enough how someone can create the sounds they make.

Actually, that's what I found pisses off many of my friends who don't like U2--my friends are technical snobs, and can't listen to the uniquely holistic style of U2.

What's everyones opinions of James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett? I'm not much of a metalhead, but there is no denying they can play some killer riffs, and in Jame's case, while simultaneously singing

BTW, did anyone read that Rolling Stone magazine's Top 100 Guitarests Of All-Time? Very rediculous. People like Jack White and Kurt Cobain were in the top twenty, when Eddie Van Halen and Angus Young were in the bottom 90's. I am not really into Van Halen or ACDC, but they are definitely greater guitarests than many people ahead of them.

Edge was at 29... fair enough I guess.

Last edited:
Rolling Stone's poll was a joke and I'm a supporter of the mag. John McLaughlan is an amazing guitarist. To think that he was around during the time of Zep and Clapton where these guys were worshipped as guitar gods is funny b/c he was doing some amazing stuff for rock guitar. Sort of like the Stooges were ahead of their time in terms of punk. When I have the cash and the time, I'm gonna pick up some Mahavishnu stuff.

edge was actualy 24... and that list was BS man... they had curt cobain and jack white listed ahead of him! I think edge is the greatest ever along with hendrix (not many people agree with me about edge...) but its ludicrous to have those guys ahead of the edge.

SLASH(see my sign bitches)

sweet child(one of the best solos)
november rain( slash makes his guitar cry)

welcome to the jungle is the most bad arss rock song ever!!!

the thing about edge is the he is not a rockNroll guitar player!!!
he took an alternative route to rock!

and i like my rock!

LeafsNation said:

That so-called "sloppiness" was part and parcel of what Zeppelin was best known for: improvising. Their live shows were legendary. Zeppelin and U2 are similar in that they were often better live than in the studio. If you want to hear Page at his best, get their # 1 live album "How the West Was Won"...it's pure magic, and I have never heard any guitarist play as spectacularly as Page - even Hendrix - then in these 1972 shows. (BTW, don't use Song Remains the Same as a yardstick...Plant's voice was beginning to decline by then)

As well, no one could construct a catchy memrable riff like Jimmy Page. Even the Edge in a Rolling Stone Interview about Zep in the late 80s acknowledged he practised Page riffs during rehearsals. In addition to many hard rock/metal guitarists, Page's guitar style influenced everyone from Pearl Jam, the Pumpkins, and STP, to the Stone Roses, Jane's Addiction, the Beastie Boys and numerous others.

Cheers

PS. Make sure you pick up Physical Grafiti...Stairway may be their most famous song, but Kasmir was the quintessential Zep song.

:up:

whole lotta love kicks arsssssssss!

jimmy page is a big influence on me!

the solo for since ive been loving you is just heaven!!
page all the way!(oh wait this is a u2 fourm heheh)

and no one knows this but the reason why page was sloopy live(some times) is because he tried to shred while using an amp that does not have much overdrive(the 70s) they are good for blues but page even kicked its arss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edge could learn a trick or two from the master!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shaun vox said:
jimmy page is a big influence on me!

good, then why don't you buy a house in scotland on the loch ness and become a hermit?

Page has disappeared off the face of the earth hasn't he? I'm always wondering if we can expect the same with Edge in that Edge will do some goofy Page/ Coverdale or Page/ P-Diddy partnership with some artists in the future. Edge and Wyclef (like that song they did). THAT WOULD BE HORRIBLE! But for some reason I can envision it happening. :huh: :sad:

Dr_Macphisto said:
What's everyones opinions of James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett? I'm not much of a metalhead, but there is no denying they can play some killer riffs, and in Jame's case, while simultaneously singing

BTW, did anyone read that Rolling Stone magazine's Top 100 Guitarests Of All-Time? Very rediculous. People like Jack White and Kurt Cobain were in the top twenty, when Eddie Van Halen and Angus Young were in the bottom 90's. I am not really into Van Halen or ACDC, but they are definitely greater guitarests than many people ahead of them.

Edge was at 29... fair enough I guess.

I love Metallica. I too am not a fan of "modern" metal, but those guys have something special. I would say it was more the quick thrashy power chords that made them famous as innovators, as opposed to their riffs and solos.

How you could leave Edge, Eddie and Angus out of the top ten is nonsense. I admire Cobain for singing and playing the guitar at the same time, but he probably would have been the first to admit he was no Page or Hendrix.

Cheers

bonosleftone said:
No. Edge is definitely innovative and a very talented guitarist however the staccato/vibrato that he employs was started by Television's Tom Verlaine.

He is however the best backup singing guitarist ever.

Definately think Edge is in the top 10 of rock gutairists. So many of those melodic runs/cascades he creates are magic. And with the effects, they serve the song/melody increasing the emotion/atmosphere whether uplifting, anguished, sexy or angry. His 'chime/bell' tones are matches for [Roger] <sp>McGwins.

Tom Verlane!! Tom Verlaine & Richard Lloyd together!!!
Seen them as Television & seprartely.

Wait now....Towshend, when he wasn't/isn't doing his occasional Who lead singing....is Roger's wonderful back-up/foil singer. Magical sonic pair.

And I think Edge's singing more back-up/duo/duo falsetto is wonderful with Bono's amazing voice and now honed technique.
I really started picking up on it when Edge was weaving his voice in & around Bono's "Halle...Halle....Hallelueia's " on the revised post 9-11 "Walk On' Dave Letterman & then Concert for America? show/CD.

Edge is top 10 imo but around 25-10 if it's not in your own opinion and he'll be there because it is he who wrote the melodies, the chord progressions, the music if you will for every U2 song therefore he is a genius, to look at it that simply without going into other aspects of his abilities he is definitely up there.

Back
Top Bottom