do you think any member of u2 has ever been using any hard drugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
t8thgr8 said:
In sheer coincedence from the heavens, there is a link to the interview i just commented on in where the album has no name. http://www.sa vefile.com/projects/1062193

watch and tell me they arent on ecstacy...

:lol: that interview is hilarious! i don't think they're trippin though. i think they're just havin fun. the whole nature of the interview is whack, so they fit right in.

rihannsu said:

This was filmed right after the concert. Bono is always spacey after performing. This is well documented. I see 4 people with fabulous imaginations and sense of humor. I have many friends who can and do act just as crazy as this when perfectly sober. Maybe they were, maybe they weren't but you can't tell just by their behaviour.

Dana

who is to say that he didn take it before the show? it lasts like 6 hrs. Can your friends open their pupils up on demand? wow, now that's talent. im sure they'd miss some of the small things unthought about when not rolling. Bono, however, didnt miss a beat, infact he got worse as it when on and comfort set in. Or maybe not....

I do imagine that at least one member has used a "hard" illegal drug at least once. I think it's almost a given as "ever" covers a lot of territory. However, I also doubt any is a coke fiend, heroin addict, etc.

t8thgr8 said:
In sheer coincedence from the heavens, there is a link to the interview i just commented on in where the album has no name. http://www.sa vefile.com/projects/1062193

watch and tell me they arent on ecstacy...

:wink: that's called alcohol.... watch the Zootv era phill collins giving U2 an award while they're in the pub, and tell me that their conditions aren't pretty much alike, especially Bono's....

kimby said:

No, no, no--I read that story--he wasn't *smoking* hash, he was *eating* hash (as in a food product made from potatoes) in a diner!

I think I've read that, too. It said that Bono was having a "snack" of champagne and hash. I never quite knew what it meant by "hash," because I've never heard of anyone eating the drug hash but smoking it instead. :shrug:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Never heard of hashbrowns?

Also "hash" is slang for greasy-spoon diner food!

And he was in a diner, according to the journalist...:|

Regarding the whole John Lennon, 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' thing.... I remember an interview in which Paul McCartney said they had tried drugs, but never had they written anything that sounded good while under the influence. When they did write music under the influence, it sounded amazing at the time, but when they played it back when they were sober they realized it was utter crap. And this is coming from Paul McCartney. He didn't deny ever doing drugs, but he did say that drugs weren't good for creativity. And given that I also remember John Lennon saying that 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' was in fact written about his son, I wouldn't at all be suprised if his imagination was in fact that surreal (and that he had the ability to venture "into the heart of a child" as Bono would later write). It was a song inspired by a child, and he had the ability to be child-like in this sense.

I can relate somewhat. When I write surreal pieces, I certainly don't need to use acid. Many think, for example, that The Slow Loris must have been high, but I can assure you he wasn't. :wink:

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
Regarding the whole John Lennon, 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' thing.... I remember an interview in which Paul McCartney said they had tried drugs, but never had they written anything that sounded good while under the influence. When they did write music under the influence, it sounded amazing at the time, but when they played it back when they were sober they realized it was utter crap. And this is coming from Paul McCartney. He didn't deny ever doing drugs, but he did say that drugs weren't good for creativity. And given that I also remember John Lennon saying that 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' was in fact written about his son, I wouldn't at all be suprised if his imagination was in fact that surreal (and that he had the ability to venture "into the heart of a child" as Bono would later write). It was a song inspired by a child, and he had the ability to be child-like in this sense.

I would bet that even if "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" was written while completely sober it was heavily influenced by their experiences tripping.

indra said:

I would bet that even if "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" was written while completely sober it was heavily influenced by their experiences tripping.
There's no way of knowing for sure, but John Lennon had an incredible imagination regardless.

I do know that Paul McCartney would have no reason to lie about whether any of their album songs were written under the influence, since he admitted to doing drugs anyway. Therefore, I believe him when he says that none of the good songs were written under the influence of drugs. I can totally see his point about drugs and creativity. If anything, drugs can get in the way of great creativity. In my experience, drugs create an illusion of enlightenment for the one under the influence - or certainly a mental state that can't be understood by the sober mind...which is pretty much the exact opposite of what you want when creating art, since art is something you want people to have a connection with.

t8thgr8 said:

who is to say that he didn take it before the show? it lasts like 6 hrs. Can your friends open their pupils up on demand? wow, now that's talent. im sure they'd miss some of the small things unthought about when not rolling. Bono, however, didnt miss a beat, infact he got worse as it when on and comfort set in. Or maybe not....

For one thing Bono has always said that they do not go on stage under the influence, not even of alcohol. They tried that once when the first toured in the UK I think it was and they were complete and utter shite, in Bono and Edge's words.

For another I wasn't saying that they definately didn't, what I was saying is that you cannot tell by looking at their behaviour. While that may be an indication, it is not proof. And as for dialated eyes, science has demonstrated that a person's eyes dialate for passion, and Bono is VERY passionate especially coming off of a concert high which as I said is well documented. Don't confuse possible indicators with proof.

Dana

I am pretty sure they would have. All of them. I reckon they got into it during Zoo TV right through to the Pop sessions or thereabouts.

All those great times with models. All those great summers in France with Michael Hutchence. Im sure of it. There would have been a little weed, ecstasy and some coke.

Good on 'em too! :wink:

I'd be surprised if there are many things that Adam hasn't tried. I daresay all of them used at least a little ecstasy and coke during the ZOO TV years. Although it is possible that Larry has never done any.

well...judging by U2 by U2 Larry has never tried any drugs...not so sure about Edge and Bono...i reckon Adam has tried some of them (before 1993)...but..i don't care, i mean, as long as they don't have any addiction....

Adam? Certainly. I'm sure he's had his share of experimenting.

Edge? He's talked about doing mushrooms so...there you go

Bono? No doubt. He's a curious fellow. I'm sure he's the type of guy who likes to taste and to touch...and to feel as much...as a man can...before he repents

Larry - Maybe a bit here and there, but I can't see him doing the hard stuff...although the fact that he's a vegetarian who smokes cracks me up...

Back
Top Bottom