Do you really want just the four of 'em playing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

With or Without it??

• With the prerecorded parts

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Without the prerecorded parts

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Or do you like the prerecorded bits?

I'd like to try a show with just the four of them playing; no prerecorded intro to Bad, no fake horns on Stuck, no cheesy background singing on Beautiful Day. None of that!!

I think it would sound awesome, and I don't use that word very much. It would be like the old days, just four musicians who play off each other and with each other. Whatever you hear, they played it!

Your thoughts?

martha i could agree more. on everything except bad, that song needs whatever it is that is pre-recorded.

i dont see why they cant get touring keyboardists to help fill out the sound.

bad needs the sequencers. it would be weird without them. normally i'm all for that stuff, but not like the tape recorder on the today show for THTBA.

I think that they should keep the little bells and whistles that serve to enhance the songs, but without going overboard. On keyboardists, I'm not really sure whether I'd want to see anyone onstage besides the four of them.

YES. streets intro, a much needed whatever it is.

on another note, 'lemon' is awesome! i just noticed that!

wait, i must have missed this cheesy background singing.

WHAT?!?

"not a bad little four piece band" something I have always said about U2...actually I went into quite a big rave about it AGAIN while I had hub "trapped" in the car on our recent road trip:)

It would really depend on the song and the venue. Some would sound naked without the bells and whistles. I personally may totally dig it, but I would want a new listener to hear the songs in their full glory....you talking private show there martha? that certainly would cook with gas.

I have to agree on one thing. I don't like what they did with Beautiful Day live. I think the beginning sounds contrived. ALtho, the keyboard is a part of the song so if you didn't have it, the song would be way different. I don't know , can Edge play that bit part at the beginning?

We totally don't need the background vocals. The crowd can do that!!!!!!!!!

the background vocals are what make beutiful day....and I don't have a problem with 'em live.:up:

what I do find amusing, is when larry and bono were interviewed on vh1 for the beutiful day premiere and larry was like "we could play any of the songs on this album with just the four of us; no extra gear...just guitar, bass, and drums"

....ummm.....yeah:der:

JOFO said:
"we could play any of the songs on this album with just the four of us; no extra gear...just guitar, bass, and drums"

See, I know they could! It's just that the songs would sound different than they do on the records. Which is FINE with me! I like basic rock and roll without all the smoke and mirrors!

martha said:

See, I know they could! It's just that the songs would sound different than they do on the records. Which is FINE with me! I like basic rock and roll without all the smoke and mirrors!

hey martha-
yeah, that's cool; I prefer the real deal myself. however, let's examine for a minute what beutiful day would be like without the smoke and mirrors:
1. no keyboard intro. that includes the echo-piano, strings, and bass drum.
2. no drums on the first verse (larry doesn't come in until the chorus). also no strings.
3. no "dddaaaaayyyy" in the chorus
4. no keyboard things in the 2nd verse
5. no cool keyboards in the bridge

I think alot of what we like about the tune would be missing...but hey, I would LOVE to hear them play it with just guitar, bass, and drums someday. what I found ironic in larry's comment, if you listen to atyclb with this in mind, is that it would sound drastically different.
different strokes.....

-it'd be interesting to hear without the pre recorded bits, i would definately want to hear it once but i can't commit to wanting this to be a regular occurence.
-i don't really like how many outside effects they used on beautiful day, but i mean streets is really necessary imo. I think generally (as a regular occurence) less would be good, but still keep the important ones.
-the whole Streets thing is the one that clinches it for me.

of course, withOUT prerecorded parts... it'd be interesting if U2 could figure a way around their recorded album version and compensate for whatever parts were "impossible" to pull off at live concerts... giving the live song a whole new feel... I think I've heard them done it before on some earlier bootlegs...

But then again, that's probably why some songs were wrote never made it to live performances, like "Two Hearts..." or "The Wanderer"... :shrug:

Yes, it would be interesting to hear just the four of them, or get in an extra keyboard player - I'd prefer that over the recorded intros and bits.

theSoulfulMofo said:
But then again, that's probably why some songs were wrote never made it to live performances, like "Two Hearts..." or "The Wanderer"... :shrug:

they played Two Hearts
*checks boots to make sure I'm not making an ass of myself*

They played it at Red Rocks at least :D

U2girl said:
Yes, it would be interesting to hear just the four of them, or get in an extra keyboard player - I'd prefer that over the recorded intros and bits.

i couldnt agree more... :wink:

Saracene said:
I'm not really sure whether I'd want to see anyone onstage besides the four of them.
I am quite sure that I don't want to see that

unless they are planing on doing a tour in bars and community centres I think they should keep the backing tapes

Salome said:
I am quite sure that I don't want to see that

unless they are planing on doing a tour in bars and community centres I think they should keep the backing tapes

yeah.
personally I'd rather they broke up before they turned into the rolling stones or the who: with 2 keyboard players, a horn section, backup singers, and an extra guitarist.

oh, and I forgot the percussion.

Well, if Edge played the keyboard intro to Beautiful Day he wouldn't be able to play those beautiful guitar harmonics over the intro, my vote is keep the sequencers.

Back
Top Bottom