DO YOU LIKE ZOOROPA MORE THAN ALL THAT YOU CANT LEAVE BEHIND

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun vox

New Yorker
have you said to your self that atyclb does not do it for me and when you listen to zooropa and say ya this is the stuff.has this happened to you it has happened to me i do like atyclb but i can only listen to it for a while but zooropa and the songs that come with it like LEMON ..numb and stay are realy ground breaking..

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

yes zooropa i prefer

although i was rubbing my eye when i read the subject title and I thought it said "do you like zooropamanda better than all that you cant leave behind?"

I actually prefer ATYCLB over Zooropa...
UF and JT are equal to ATYCLB, then comes Zooropa & the others for me...

Yep. AB, Zoo, and Pop are my favourites.

I do however like the remixes off ATYCLB. They aren't as sleepy as the others seem to be.

ya Angela Harlem thats the word sleepy lol i was wondering what i should say about atyclb i have never said this about any u2 album its a nice album but lets be honest it does put us to sleep.

------------------

I much prefer ZOOROPA over All That.

There's no lyrics as paint-by-numbers as the drudging Peace on Earth and Grace. They were poor songs by U2 standards before 9/11 and guess what? They're still poor songs! I will give credit where credit is due in that Kite and Walk On are great and IALW is also nice. But the album has filler.

Zooropa is treated as a throwaway in its conception, and perhaps that is what is refreshing about it, especially compared to the U2 of late (how can we possibly sell an extra 1M copies of our record?). i.e. U2 weren't PUSHING product, they didn't seem to be TRYING so damn hard on being the BIGGEST band in the world. Simply the BEST band.

haha, thnx Shaun, I wrote it and hoped I wouldn't get flamed. People seem to get mighty offended when I say I dont really like the new album!

Hawkfire did a good job of summing it up
biggrin.gif

you know what i think u2 made atyclb as a soul album and did not want to put there best songs on it because they thought that alot of people might ignor it so now they make this album and tour and now all the kids and teens know about them and now boom u2 puts a rock&rool album out that every one gets.

------------------

Originally posted by Hawkfire:
Zooropa is treated as a throwaway in its conception, and perhaps that is what is refreshing about it, especially compared to the U2 of late (how can we possibly sell an extra 1M copies of our record?). i.e. U2 weren't PUSHING product, they didn't seem to be TRYING so damn hard on being the BIGGEST band in the world. Simply the BEST band.

granted U2 are front and center at the moment and they have intentionally put themselves there in an effort to sell discs.
BUT i personally won't pass judgement on them until i see what they do with the many eyes that now fall upon them. they have an incredible opportunity to come back with something utterly fantastic and secure their position as one of the greatest bands imo.

they are unparalleled popular artists for our time but they are also keen on the business side - i, and i don't think anyone else can, blame them for that.
atyclb is a superior album but i could just as easily reach for zooropa on any given day-they touch completely different moods.

------------------
bottom line: U2 rules.

I like Zooropa better than ATYCLB, but it doesn't mean anything bad towards ATYCLB. There's no way to separate what Zooropa, Achtung Baby and POP mean to me on an emotional level.

Though the bands earlier work was a soundtrack to my little childhood, IT was the nineties work that carried me through my teens. I could relate to all the U2 albums, especially October and Boy, but it was the nineties stuff that was being released at the moment and that counts for a lot when your a teenager, especially when you feel those albums are riding the highs and lows with you.

Achtung Baby was definitely my soundtrack for my raging hormones and spiritual searching. Zooropa really came at a dark time for me and connected very deep as well. POP came along in a time of my life when I felt like the characters in it, like waking from a long dark night and into my twenties, finally feeling like I may have scratched through to God after all, and I might be willing to listen to him now.

The nineties work really split music wide open for me as well, U2 had synthesized a dozen or so different types of music and brought in a range of influences. The strange and exploratory noises sent me searching for everything from Tom Waits, to NIN, to Aphex Twin. For the early nineties the Edge was basically my guide to what was cool in new music. The only musician who has opened me up more to different kinds of music is David Bowie.

Not only do I have a wide range of experiences dear to me that have been sound tracked by nineties U2, you also have the image of U2 themselves at the time. I still think ZOO TV and POPMART have been unsurpassed by anybody, and probably won?t be for a long time.

ATYCLB is a great album and also came along at a time when I?ve never felt better or more spiritually centered. ATYCLB is a joyful album that still searches for meaning and once again U2 have eerily provided a soundtrack for another phase in my life. I can always put one of their albums on and relate to it, even if I?m taking from it what was never intended in the first place. For about a month now I've been listening to UF and BOY the most, but that always changes depending on the mood. It?s just that whatever album which seems to be the newest at the e moment is the one I relate to the most.

I have a hard time comparing U2 albums to each other, they are all far ranging and very different from each other. I think UF was as shocking a departure from War as AB was from Joshua Tree. U2 manages to surprise each time out of the gate, and seem, to me anyways, to always be improving, even if it?s not in a direction I would have chosen.

And when it comes down to it ACHTUNG BABY, ZOOROPA and POP make me see colours and feel emotions on a wider scale than most any other albums out there. The lyrics and music on those albums really blow my mind still. I?ve probably got every note of Zooropa and AB memorized, but when I listen I can still pull something new out of them. I?ve always enjoyed strange things and strange music. I can?t say U2 hit a peak with those three albums, because in many ways ATYCLB is the strongest album U2 has put out yet, but they hit a peak in the nineties with the scope I am inclined towards.

------------------
Steve
SAME OLD STORY- Hardcore American Comedy

Hmmm this is tough.. I listen to Zooropa more so I guess I would have to say Zooropa.

They are just so different its hard to say I like one better than the other.

No way. I agree with the assessment that someone made early on (Rolling Stone?) that ATYCLB is "U2's third masterpiece," after JT and AB (that's chronological order, not implying that one of those is better than the others. Apples and oranges, that.)

Don't get me wrong, I love Zooropa, too. That's one of the best things about U2's records--there are drop-dead, undeniably fabulous songs on every single record, but if you ask 10 different U2 fans to name their fave fabulous song from each album, you'll get 10 different answers.

--
Do you feel loved?

..Strange... I am listening to Zooropa right now and came across this post. To me, the stretch between Achtung Baby, Zooropa and HMTMKMKM is like an emotional journey. I personally believe that those times are U2's greatest work at taking the path to become the band that we all know and love them for. Zooropa is full of personal feelings that the band were all feeling during the Zoo TV years. The lyrics of Numb reflect Edge's feelings of his divorce & Lemon was created by Bono remembering his mother. The lyrics are 100% U2's and the music is natural progression following the sound of Achtung Baby.
I wasn't a U2 fan until I heard HMTMKMKM, but from that moment I was hooked. My first purchases were Achtung Baby and Zooropa, although I believe that Achtung is their best album, I love the sound of Zooropa. To me it emphasizes who U2 are; they give 110% all the time, never looking for approval from anyone for their choices. Every couple of years during their musical journey they take the time to stop and thank their fans, and the thank you we all got this time around was ATYCLB.
I agree with shaun vox. Zooropa and ATYCLB are both good albums however, Zooropa has a bigger kick to it. I feel so many different emotions while listening to Zooropa, while ATYCLB just makes me feel relaxed (sleepy?)
Kobayashi is right stating that now is the time for us to see what U2 will do with their exposure gained by the success of ATYCLB and the Elevation tour.
Here's hoping for another emotional trip like Zooropa!

I think in times like these, bands with true talent and their finger on the pulse of things, good albums are always made.

See the early 90's.

I don't think U2 should make music that just sounds good coming out of our stereos, I think they should make music that sounds good to them and is honest and still relevent. If it happens to sound good as well, then good.

I think enough has happened over the course of this year, personal, to the world, in the lives of each member of U2. I think Bono's pen has enough fuel.

lets just know if the machine that is U2 can function cohesively.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

If I had to be totally honest? Yeah, I prefer Zooropa. But like it's been stated, they're apples and oranges. I guess what I love about Zooropa is how edgy (pun!) and boundary-pushing it is. It's a total trip. ATYCLB is beautiful, but it doesn't stir my mind in the same way. I listen to Zooropa far more.

-sula

ZOOROPA is better then ATYCLB , it's more original , more different , from the first to the last song , ATYCLB is too radio-friendly ( Walk On , Stuck , Kite ) still very good though , and elevation is incomplete , beautiful Day , NYC and grace , In A Little while are very good songs , stuff like Wild Honey , POE , WIlATW are good enough only for b-sides or snippets on live gigs , it's a real music , the biggest plus of this album is that it's very optimistic and bright .

not no, but hey-ell no!

ATYCLB is the 2nd best U2 album of all time!

It's a draw I suppose. I do get more of a thrill playing Zooropa even to this day though. It still sounds fresh eight years after its release.
The very best songs on ATYCLB get the nod by the slimmest of margins over the best of the Zooropa songs but ATYCLB has more filler. POE and Grace are b-side material.

MAP

you listen to zooropa and say ya this is the stuff

absolutely.

zooropa is my number one fav. album.

i wish i could write songs like the ones on zooropa. then i would be genius too.

------------------
And I feel like I'm slowly slowly slowly slipping under.

And I feel like I'm holding onto nothing.

ADAM (talking about Elevation):
"I like it, it's very hard to play live...(starts smiling) I don't understand what it's about, it's good."

Back
Top Bottom