Do you like their new or old stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
Remember when that question meant whether you liked 90's or 80's U2?? Now when someone asks if you like new or old U2 better it's hard to answer because old U2 consists of both 80's and 90's stuff.

I guess 90's is old U2, and 80's is really old U2.

Kinda weird.

Indeed. I tend to think the recent albums have more in common with the older ones perhaps? I can see reference points between certain tracks on Boy and some tracks on HTDAAB, for example COBL references Bono's first visits to London and New York - a little bit of nostalgia creeping in there perhaps.

So maybe a better distinction might be between 'traditional U2' and 'experimental U2' - 'traditional U2' encompassing the '80's stuff (except for UF which was quite experimental), together with the two most recent albums, and 'experimental U2' encompassing the 1990's stuff.

Last edited:
beli said:
I loike their old stuff, their really old stuff, the ancient stuff, the prehistoric stuff, and their post modern stuff.

I with you apart from the prehistoric stuff. Most of that was pretty shite, IMO. :wink:

90's :rockon:

80s was great and very political!!

2000:yawn:
hopeful things will get a bit interesting!!
if not we can always talk about the 80s and 90s U2 because that was when they were making great music!!:nerd:

beli said:
I was communicating with my future self and I advised myself that one of the new songs on one of the new albums is divine. :drool:

What a strange coincidence! The other night I ran into my future self and she was beaming over track 5 from one of the future albums. I wonder if your future self fancied track 5 too. Maybe they should get together and throw an album listening party :love:

Queen Bee said:

What a strange coincidence! The other night I ran into my future self and she was beaming over track 5 from the future albums. I wonder if your future self fancied track 5 too. Maybe they should get together and throw an album listening party :love:

Excellent! One of my future selfs lives on Madiera. Perhaps our other selfs can meet up there for a cuppa and some cake? How about next Wednesday, 2013? :hyper:

beli said:
Excellent! One of my future selfs lives on Madiera. Perhaps our other selfs can meet up there for a cuppa and some cake? How about next Wednesday, 2013? :hyper:

One of my future selfs is seeing U2 in Perth next Wednesday, 2013 and asked me to invite one of your future selfs to join her. They should make t-shirts proclaiming their love for track 5. That's more than enough to get Bono to pull them up on stage :hyper:

Queen Bee said:

One of my future selfs is seeing U2 in Perth next Wednesday, 2013 and asked me to invite one of your future selfs to join her. They should make t-shirts proclaiming their love for track 5. That's more than enough to get Bono to pull them up on stage :hyper:

:swoon: Brilliant idea. We can colour our hair grey just like Alis hair colour is then, and wear black stilettos like the lyric in that new song. At least it sounds like stilettos to me. He could be singing about rigolettos though. :hmm:

Bonochick said:
This reminds me of the first time I heard "Mysterious Ways" on a classic rock station.

that was kind of out of the blue

mysterious ways was my first u2 song though

Bonochick said:
This reminds me of the first time I heard "Mysterious Ways" on a classic rock station.

They still play Mysterious Ways on the "alternative" radio station here. When I think of U2 on the radio I think of the alternative station. kinda funny now.

Their new stuff is their old stuff, I mean can anyone really call All Because Of You as sounding new??? Well can you?:eyebrow:

Bonochick said:

wow.

I don't think I've heard anything past JT on a classic rock station. They're sure fond of playing Still Haven't Found, though.

As for what I like...view location.

i like u2.

AtomicBono said:

wow.

I don't think I've heard anything past JT on a classic rock station. They're sure fond of playing Still Haven't Found, though.

As for what I like...view location.

i like u2.

I hear everything from War to AB on my classic stations. They especially like JT and R&H. Once, just once, I haard Stay on an alternative station. I think I heard one I Will Follow somehwere too. Usually you get no Zooropa, Pop, Boy or October at all.

And I don't know why anyone would say their new stuff sounds old. It doesn't sound like it at all. It's the same guys and the same voice, that's it.

I prefer the older stuff, overall.

U2Kitten said:

I hear everything from War to AB on my classic stations. They especially like JT and R&H. Once, just once, I haard Stay on an alternative station. I think I heard one I Will Follow somehwere too. Usually you get no Zooropa, Pop, Boy or October at all.

you know I think out of every band I've heard U2 is played on the most radio stations... I've heard them on pop/top 40, general rock (you know those awesome stations that play songs from like five decades, I don't know what you'd call them), alternative, classic rock, soft rock, and college stations. Not many other bands get played on so many different types of stations. Reason #38772 why U2 rules.

I think I heard I Will Follow on the radio once. Don't think I've ever heard anything from October, Zooropa, or Pop, though my mom says Discotheque was all over the radio when Pop first came out (of course it would be, first single from a new album) - that's why she bought the album and, as a result, why I became a U2 fan.

Is it common for radio stations to play the live version of Pride (from Rattle and Hum) instead of the UF version? I heard the live version on the radio once and I thought that was random and awesome.

I hear the "Even Better Than The Real Thing" Perfecto mix on the radio alot now, in fact three times in two days, Classic Rock stations are extremely fond of Desire, I Still Haven't Found, Streets, Pride, WOWY, Bullet et al

AtomicBono said:

you know I think out of every band I've heard U2 is played on the most radio stations... I've heard them on pop/top 40, general rock (you know those awesome stations that play songs from like five decades, I don't know what you'd call them), alternative, classic rock, soft rock, and college stations. Not many other bands get played on so many different types of stations. Reason #38772 why U2 rules.

That's right, they do get around! I have heard them on classic, alternative, adult contemporary, top 40 and even modern rock stations.

I think I heard I Will Follow on the radio once. Don't think I've ever heard anything from October, Zooropa, or Pop,

They just don't make the playlist of people like clearchannel, or whoever programs it and buys rights. They probably also don't think people really want to hear that stuff as much, since the average casual fan probably doesn't.

though my mom says Discotheque was all over the radio when Pop first came out

It died a quick death in my area, all I ever heard from Pop in those days was SATS.

Is it common for radio stations to play the live version of Pride (from Rattle and Hum) instead of the UF version? I heard the live version on the radio once and I thought that was random and awesome.

That is rare when they play a different version, sometimes they will do that during a U2 contest or U2 week, but they usually don't.

annie_vox said:
It really depends on how I feel at the moment...

One day I can listen to Boy and next day I can be into POP.

But in the end... I love it all:)

Exactly right! :up:

It's funny that you didn't mention ATYCLB or Hutdab :uhoh:

:wink:

:lmao: at beli and queen bee's future selves.

ok people, i think youve missed the point. im not really asking you if you like their newer or older stuff better, i was pointing out how the meaning of this question has changed.

their 90's stuff used to be considered their "new stuff," but hell, Pop is almost 10 years old now, and a completely different style than their current stuff, so Pop can now be considered their "older stuff."

its kind of funny because people used to ask this question all the time in the 90's, and it would be easy to answer because i did prefer 90's U2, but now when people ask me this question it's hard to answer because of the different meanings.

When I say 'their old stuff', more often than not I mean everything from 1980 - 97. When I'm talking about the 90s, I say 90s.

90s > 80s > 00s.

Back
Top Bottom