do you hate ATYCLB?are u2 still rock&roll?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaun vox

New Yorker
i think atyclb is the only u2 album that i hate. it just sounds like childs play.from the songwriting to very weak guitars ,its just not there.
i can go on and on but i would like to know who else does not like atyclb. from the songs to the albums cover zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
i know u2 are old guys but still:sad: this is the only time u2 has bored me. pop was a weird album(with some great songs)
i just dont think u2 are rock&roll any more.
and with some kick arss rocks bands comming out ex the darkness and velvet revolver i dont see u2 as that great band they were EX zootv.
IT could be bono's now weak voice or edges simple guitar chords.
but i dont see this new album being so great.:sad: :sad:

who else is drifting away from u2 like me:sad: :sad: :sad:
who else is taking their u2 posters off their wall :sad: :sad:
am i alone in this?

I hate ATYCLB also. Another album like that bland crap and Im outta here.

The songs are aural dish washing liquid. I like it when they are rock, thats when I came in, back in 1980 whatever. I do like it when they do pop properly but I think they have confused pop with lullabies.

Old Men doesnt have to mean sleepy ballads.

Im hoping they were trying to get a wider suburban/mediocre fan base with that one, going for the money or sumfin, and they will go back to behaving themselves with the new one.

PLEASE! Like I said, or Im outta here.

</rant>

*sigh*

Is it necessary to keep all this ATYCLB (an album that beat the so-famed-here POP in every aspect IMO) hating going, on and on?

Admittedly, ATYCLB is my least favourite album. However, it's easily better than most of the crap out there. I'm getting very close to thinking U2's the only band worth listening to because what I get out of their music, I don't get out of anything else, not even my second-favourite, Pink Floyd.

ATYCLB had some very good stuff on it. Beautiful Day's a wonderful song, though not their best. Stuck sounds pop-y but the lyrics are good. Elevation ... well, I'll skip to Walk On. I can't say anything bad about Walk On, it's one of my favourite songs and it saved my life. Kite is simply BEAUTIFUL. I did like In A Little While but I don't any more, Wild Honey is simply fun, I haven't listened to Peace On Earth to New York for ages so I can't really remember my opinion, and Grace is underappreciated and beautiful.

Those of us lucky enough to have the British/Japanese/Aussie version have it closed by the masterpiece that is The Ground Beneath Her Feet. That is a stunning song.

Really, I don't give a toss if U2 is 'rock and roll'. The definition of that seems to have fun changing. U2's created their own genre of U2, at least in my mind, and they're still producing quality music - I don't see what people have against Electrical Storm and The Hands That Built America because they're really good songs.

The next album's going to be great. Bono's voice is still very good, just because he isn't belting it out like in the Boy days doesn't mean he's lost it, and Edge is one of the best damn guitarists ever. It's U2, so of course it's going to be good.

U2girl said:
*sigh*

Is it necessary to keep all this ATYCLB (an album that beat the so-famed-here POP in every aspect IMO) hating going, on and on?

Dunno about the others, but I havent 'vocalised' it here before.

I guess for me, its the anticipation of the new album combined with the worry that they will continue in the same vein. Electrical Storm and Hands only heighten my fear that they have given up.

IMHO.

it is their worst record , the tour was alright , though , i still have a small hope , after all atyclb was something , walk on , beautiful day are quite good , mixed bag , thier image is shaking right now , before ATYCLB , they were like a solid rock , now they perfom oldies ,

WE NEEEEEED a NEW SINGLe , ALBUM , TOUR , AHHHHHHHHH
HELLLPPP

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Axver said:
I'm getting very close to thinking U2's the only band worth listening to because what I get out of their music, I don't get out of anything else

I reached that conclusion long ago.

ATYCLB-7 grammies, blockbuster tour, No.1 in 31 countries......
It's a fantastic album-End of story.

the new album will be even bigger!

:drool:

U2girl I'm not talking about you specifically but why is there the push for silence in regard to things some people dont like? Bash Pop or ATYCLB all you like, it only becomes a problem when people take offence to it and the arguments break out. I really dont get it. It isnt natural for us to be some daisy chain weaving forum where all we do is exhaust our praises. In a career as long as theirs its only to be expected some people aren't going to like everything they've done. To those who do, great. But there isn't a problem in voicing what you dont like. Especially in a band who is as appreciated as U2 is by most peopole here.

So bash away. Dont get offended by someone else's point of view. It doesn't matter. Really.

I reckon this thread will either fizzle or blow up into a spectacular battle in that very odd way online arguments do.

I admit it's not their best album, but there are some great songs! Kite, BD, Stuck, Walk On and In A Little While are great songs IMO. Not every U2 song has to sound like Pride, UTEOTW or Fly. It does drift a bit towards the end, but I've heard worst songs on their other albums. I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

I love it, It came out at the right time in my life for me, so has a lot of meaning to me personally!

I think it has some of U2's best songs on it:

Beautifuls Day, Walk on and Kite!

Some things get tiring after reading them for over 3 years, for the x-th time. And there is a difference between saying "I didn't like the album" and saying "it sucks", "it's crap", "shit" etc.
It's offending, simply by the nature of putting it, and to those who did enjoy the album. (if the album is "crap", does that mean some people have crap taste if they like it?)

I have crap taste and I don't mind having a "crap" taste in music.

I really hated Peace on Earth. I dislike Electrical Storm and The Hands that Built America. My fear is that the new album will not be good b/c of their most recently released material was not that great to me (Hands and Electrical Storm).

I really hated how they used that triangle or bells or whatever on Electrical Storm... yeesh cheesey and junk.

I don't think ATYCLB is crap, just something different. I like lullabies and pop music... With that said, it's effect on me has waned a bit. I was really excited about that album (ATYCLB) when it first came out, ATYCLB doesn't doesn't promote as much interest like prior albums continually (Achtung, Joshua Tree, POP, Zooropa, etc.) Definitely better than their worst album which was October IMO.

I just hope the new album isn't as "Edge-lite" as ATYCLB was.

Last edited:
more ATYCLB bashing :yawn:

rock and roll is not all pompus 12 minute epics with 5 minute guitar solos. blowing in the wind is rock and roll... wild horses is rock and roll... thunder road is rock and roll... good vibrations is rock and roll.

i feel sorry for people who need head banging guitar solos in order to be entertained... just like i feel sorry for those who only like rap, or only like country, or only like what's played on mtv.

good music is good music, no matter what it sounds like.

is u2 still rock and roll? you're god damn right they are... and they're the best damn rock and roll band still going. everyone else is playing for second.

Rock'n'Roll is not the norm for U2 but they sometimes have rocking songs like Hold Me Thrill Me, or Elevation. But don't expect an all-out live album. Never has, never will be. It is a big misconception to think of U2 as a hard rock band when only a handful of their songs are. Just like some people here who constantly have the misconception that U2 is an alternative band that must make non-mainstream inacessible music. Truth is, all of U2's songs are designed for MTV and radio play - at least their singles. U2 is a mainstream pop rock band whether you like it or not. So don't try to categorize U2 into what they aren't and have unrealistic expectations from the band.

Cheers,

J

I haven't liked anything U2 have put out since the 90s. Big deal. I don't care who likes/dislikes what - I just care that we respect each other enough to celebrate our differences, and not insult each other for them. Those of us who cannot have a simple discussion about U2's music without getting emotional, assumptive, overly annoyed or personally vindictive should probably sit most message boards out. Because, ultimately, forums are for the free exhange of ideas.

I will agree with AngelaHarlem - there's nothing wrong with expressing dislike. We all have sat through many discussions ad nauseum about things we don't agree with or don't like. If we all bellyache at the annoyance of hearing something yet again being intensely discussed, then some of us will never open ourselves up to difference of opinions in many areas of life.

Like many things, if we don't like something, change the channel. Don't read the thread, don't buy the CD. Don't watch the show, etc. As consumers, we have the right to express dislike as much as we have the right to express approval. If, as some have said in the past, that we have no right to dislike anything U2 have done because that is their art and so therefore impervious to critique, then we might as well close all museums, universities and fire all professional critics.

There have been scads of impassioned discussions about U2's albums on this forum, and you know what, at the end of the day, U2 is still U2, they are still the same band we all fell in love with, and irregardless if we all agree with their musical directions, you can't please everybody all of the time.

I agree with headache that U2 are still as much rock 'n roll as they ever were

I actually have many more opinions on this
but since I have expressed them almost as many times as shaun has mentioned that he hates ATYCLB I will spare you

Axver said:
Admittedly, ATYCLB is my least favourite album. However, it's easily better than most of the crap out there. I'm getting very close to thinking U2's the only band worth listening to because what I get out of their music, I don't get out of anything else, not even my second-favourite, Pink Floyd.

ATYCLB had some very good stuff on it. Beautiful Day's a wonderful song, though not their best. Stuck sounds pop-y but the lyrics are good. Elevation ... well, I'll skip to Walk On. I can't say anything bad about Walk On, it's one of my favourite songs and it saved my life. Kite is simply BEAUTIFUL. I did like In A Little While but I don't any more, Wild Honey is simply fun, I haven't listened to Peace On Earth to New York for ages so I can't really remember my opinion, and Grace is underappreciated and beautiful.

I agree with the above said by Axver in general, though my 2nd fave is REM and I still like In a Little While a lot. I think one can judge if he/she likes this or that album judging by the number of times he/she listens to each one of them. I must say I?ve listened to Zooropa, TUF, Boy and JT more frequently than ATYCLB during these last 2 years. It?s not that they?ve been in heavy rotation though. Heavy rotation only applys to Pop and AB for me. With that said, I don?t dislike ATYCLB. I just prefer some of their previous work. I do hope they can surprise me again, as they have always done. What I do dislike is any reference to U2?s work as crap or something like that. It?s not true.

Cheers
MT

I can find something I like about every one of U2's albums. Yes, I have my personal favorites, but there's something I like about every one-I don't have a "least favorite" U2 album. This album's not in my top 5 of theirs, no, but I do still like it, just because there are some really good songs on there, some of which I can relate to quite well or mean something to me (i.e., "Peace On Earth", "Stuck In A Moment"), and it's nice to listen to when you just want to chill for a while.

I also like "Electrical Storm" and "Hands", too-but I don't think that will be what the new album sounds like. Considering some of the people who've been working on this next album, I don't see it sounding much like those two songs or ATYCLB. Maybe in some spots, but I don't think that'll be the dominant sound.

Angela

ATYCLB is as much a rock record as the Joshua Tree, or UF, or Pop. Kite, BD, Stuck and Walk On are among U2's best tunes ever. Again, everytime this thread comes up I question whether people here actually know what rock is? It's not just distorted guitars and leather pants.

By U2 standards, ATYCLB definitely is not among their best. But it is heads-and-shoulders above POP, by far their worst album.

Here is my ranking of U2 albums:

1) The Joshua Tree (U2 could never match it, I'm sure!)
2) War
3) Boy
4) Achtung Baby
5) The Unforgettable Fire

The rest just aren't that good. But I would put ATYCLB at the top of the rest.

Also, ATYCLB *is* a bit weak. It sounds kind of tinny & soft. I hope that U2 isn't becoming a 'soft rock' band...

Last edited:
IMO ATYCLB is like a replica version of Trying To Throw your Arms Around The World,and that's quite true for 5-6 songs on the album. btw it's slow,way too comercial and even more computerised than POP,though some people over here will happily disagree :wink:

every album U2 made since Joshua Tree is slow though (Unforgettabel Fire was the last "faster" album)
too commercial is personal opinion, I prefer to think that they finished the production
though the computer influences on ATYCLB are obvious I wouldn't call it more computerised than POP

so, yeah, I happily disagree

ATYCLB is definitely not their best, but it isn't bad either. I think it rocks. The only track that gets on my nerves is In A Little While they could done fine without it :(
The album is an 8/10 in my book.

Numbology said:
IMO ATYCLB is like a replica version of Trying To Throw your Arms Around The World,and that's quite true for 5-6 songs on the album. btw it's slow,way too comercial and even more computerised than POP,though some people over here will happily disagree :wink:

WOW! ATYCLB is like TTTYAATW????????????????? Each their own but you are right, I definately disagree with that. Please explain to me how Beautiful Day, Elevation, Walk On, Kite are like Tryin??? I guess I have a different version of the album than you do or you have a different version of Tryin?? ;) Sorry, but I dont see your analogy at all. Maybe In A Little While is a little like Tryin, actually an improved version of Tryin for me. But otherwise I dont see what you are saying in any way.

ATYCLB is definately not U2's best work. But I agree with others that some of the songs on it are as good as anything they have done before. For me, they have only put out 2 albums that are near perfection and that is JT and AB. ATYCLB is at a tie for 3rd behind those two with POP and Unf. Fire. I dont care what direction U2 wants to take their music as long as it is good. This whole are they RAWK thing is ridiculous also. U2 are what they want to be. Not what a few fans think they should be. ATYCLB is a very good album, it has a few weak points, but overall a very good album. So it wasnt what YOU were looking for. I know the band and alot of their fans were happy with it.

I can already tell you that some people here have some very unrealistic expectations for the next album. You should get your disappointment ready now. If you think that the next album is going to be a flat out rocker with nothing but guitar riffs, heavy bass lines, and massive drums you will be disappointed. Their may be a few tunes like that, but there is no way the entire album will be like that. I would actually be a little disappointed myself if they pigeon holed themselves like that because it just start to sound all the same by the end of the album. I like a variety of sounds and tones and pacing. Its one of the reasons I like U2 so much, they dont stick to one category.

All the same debates are about to recycle themselves again. The new album sucks, X song sucks, the tour sucks, the setlist sucks, the albums is the greatest, x song is their best, the tour is the best, etc........ You know, that is cool, as long as it is an intelligent debate with reasons that make sense. What I hate is when someone just says, X sucks, with nothing to back it. No intelligence and they are just trying to start something which is just pathetic. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with disagreement. U2 will never make everyone happy, they just need to be happy with what they are doing so they will continue to do it. Thats what I'am hoping for. Debate on!! LOL

Last edited:
'crap' is subjective. There are things that I have done that I consider crap, despite my emotional investment in the project.

I watched the start of American Idol last night. It was a Barry Manilow special. This may offend some people but I find Barry Manilow 'crap' enough without 7 karoake versions of it. Im sure that George bloke could make a record that I would purchase but when he does Barry Manilow it, to me, sounds like crap. Not everything some one does has to be perfection.

Same with ATYCLB. I like U2 obviously or I wouldnt hang out in this forum. But to me ATYCLB is bland/mediocre. To me bland = crap. IMHO. Not everything some one does has to be perfection.

Many people on this forum love ATYCLB. Its not a slight to the people who like the album nor their tastes. I think its bland and you might not consider it that way. Or bland may well be a valid art form for you. Fair enough too.

I sure plenty of you cant stand Barry White, one of my favs.

No offense intended. Just my opinion. Any one persons opinion is bound to offend at least one other person on the planet.

Peace.

I :heart: ATYCLB and always have. I could never understand all the bashing. It must be that the 90's fans didn't like the change in sound like some 80's fans didn't like the change in the 90's.

I am just as much of a hard rock fan as Shaun, I love GNR, STP, many of the bands he likes, and don't hit me for this but I never considered U2 that much of a rocking band. A rock band, yes, but they have never really been known to 'rock out' or 'kick butt.' Other than SBS, NYD and Streets, maybe a couple things on AB, nothing of theirs really 'rocks' that hard. They are still rock and still good but I never looked at them in that way. But whatever they are and whatever they do, it's great!

I think it is common knowledge to most people on here that I dont really like ATYCLB, I, still do this day dont even own a legit copy of it, I burnt a copy of it when it first came out and since then I have never been bothered buying a copy.

I looooooooooove Walk On and I bought the two aussie singles of that. I guess for me ATYCLB just didnt do it for me, a lot of the songs like grace, kite and stuck just sounded waaaaaaay too adult contemporary for me and beautiful day, whilst it was good was just too gimmicky for me. I guess I just saw ATYCLB as a very safe album for U2, for the first time in their career it seemed as though they didn't go exploring, now really, what was there on this that was ground breaking????? Most of it just sounds like commercial fodder, give me Pop any day over ATYCLB:huh:

Although I do have to admit that I did like the Orbit version of Electrical Storm, I really do hope that with there new album, they go back to their roots of being cutting edge and I gotta say that I am still pissed at them for doing a 'world tour' that didnt feature Australia or any country south of the equator- I have been known to hold a grudge for quite a while!!!:|

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom