do you hate ATYCLB?are u2 still rock&roll?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
max d. said:
ATYCLB is a great album. It help U2 reclaim their status in the rock and roll world, permiate other arenas of thought- namely polictical and social.

I agree and I love it.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
a lot of the arguments in this thread seem to be along the lines of "atyclb isn't rock because it sounds too "poppy."

ok then... i guess the beatles and elvis weren't rock and roll either then, by that theory.

penny lane and piggies really "rock out"

please...

Bingo! I guess Bowie, The Stones, and REM aren't rock either.

I love ATYCLB....

So typically contemporary, yet so brave and meaningful

My only problem with ATYCLB is Bono's voice, he sounds like he is trying to hard on some songs,
such as New York, In a little while and elevation(album version).

But if there were any questions about a possible decline in Bono's vocal abilities from his voice on ATYCLB, they were cancelled out by his supreme vocal performance on the following elevation your.

Beautiful Day is a u2 classic and a rock n roll classic. In the same class as universally regarded u2 classics such as pride, streets and one.

Beautiful Album...love it to pieces, especially beautful day walk on kite wild honey when i look at the world peace on earth and for aussies only, ground beneath her feet

Depsite its brilliance, there is just one thing i want u2 to avoid on their next album, churning out an ATYCLB clone.........

You gotta love an album for what it is not for what it could have been or what it isn't.

I love ATYCLB! It' not their best album ever but it's got some great songs and riffs. Kite, Stuck In A Moment, Walk On, Elevation, Beautiful Day are all pretty good.

I still have a problem about singing "It's a beautiful day!" but I love that riff.

I think Stuck In A Moment is one of U2?s best songs ever, don't know how can someone say Edge is not good in this record. Listen to this song live and you'll see how rich it is. It may be simple but it's still good.

Elevation is a great rocker, I love to watch the SNL performance where Larry at a certain moment, closer to the end, just goes trashy at the drums, he does that two times and I love it. That solo Edge plays is very Edge-like, melodic, aggressive (I love the distortion he has for this sing, really metallic) but at the same time very simple. There's nothing wrong with a song having simple power chords or whatever, it doesn?t have to be full with shit to be great (that doesn?t mean that a song full of riffs, two solos or with different dynamics is bad or that it is overrated just cause it's got a lot of stuff on it. Master Of Puppets is a great example of a big song where every moment and extra riffs is as important or as good as the rest).

Kite, Walk On, Peace On Earth are also pretty strong and I like New York a lot. Specially Edge's solo that he does live. I didn?t liked In A Little While or Wild Honey?s melodies, they were too sweet but I enjoy them more now.

I think this album was supposed to be more light with a more laid back attitude and be more personal and it succeeded on that, it was not supposed to be anything else. Personally I prefer more aggressive and angry songs and lyrics but music, like life, is made of all kinds of feelings and moments and this album captures some. I think we'll have the more aggressive stuff on the next one but I just hope that the lyrics are more like AB and Pop.

I appreciate the harder side of Rock (see AC/DC, Gn'R, Rage), I also enjoy the popper side of Rock (see the Beatles, Fleetwood Mac) and I think that U2 fall within both of thoses categories from album to album and song to song. U2 are truly one of the few bands that are constantly updating and changing their sound. So fans will find their taste changing from album to album. I think.

MrBrau1 said:
You get the basket. I get the assist.

Michael%20Jordan%202.jpg

good look

ATYCLB was a heart felt album and it was a risky album. It was an album that had songs that had flighty, beautiful, hopeful themes in them, it was a risk because it came out at a time when what was really selling in the top 40 was angst and waining manufactored teeny pop songs.

It was an album reflective of the men that created it. Here were four men in their 40's and approaching their 40's, they've seen a lot and already done a lot. They didn't have to make this album, but they did anyway and the result was an album that helped re-solidify their image of being the best rock and roll band in the world. They did it by wearing their hearts on their sleeves again and writing the music that they wanted to write. There was no fakness, they weren't trying to be something they were not.

That's why I respect the album and found new respect for the band.

ok so i played atyclb last night to see how it sounds(i have not played this cd in like 3 months) bd sounds alright but too pop sounding. stuck in a moment is great live but the album version is not that good.elevation still suxxxxss! walk on is alright. kite is good but too slow at times. in a little while is good.the rest off the album is not listenable! trust me.

i know edge is no jimmy hendrix but im starting to get tired of edges playing.:sad:
oh bonos voice is so fucked up now its not even funny.:mad: :sad:
things come and go and every story has an ending.

THE END:sad: :sad:

i dont see u2's new album being the best thing ever. why , because, 1. bonos fucked up voice(but still good for slow songs)
2. edges ability of playing the guitar(simple rhythm guitar is very nice but is nothing with out LEAD guitar!) if edge is not a mad man on this new album(ex watch the fly music video) ill just go insane my self.

This is getting ridiculous ...

By the way, Shaun Vox, do you like Running To Stand Still?

Last edited:
shaun vox said:
ok so i played atyclb last night to see how it sounds(i have not played this cd in like 3 months) bd sounds alright but too pop sounding. stuck in a moment is great live but the album version is not that good.elevation still suxxxxss! walk on is alright. kite is good but too slow at times. in a little while is good.the rest off the album is not listenable! trust me.

i know edge is no jimmy hendrix but im starting to get tired of edges playing.:sad:
oh bonos voice is so fucked up now its not even funny.:mad: :sad:
things come and go and every story has an ending.

THE END:sad: :sad:

:wave:

shaun vox said:
i dont see u2's new album being the best thing ever. why

Because you haven't heard it yet.

I like what one person said...I can find something I like out of every album. ATYCLB has some of my favorite all-time songs, like Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, When I Look at the World, Grace. Soooo, it's perfect for that period of time that they were in. I really do not understand the fickle fans who don't grow and change with the band. I guess they're really not fans at all. They just like certain moments, certain sounds. I'm that way with other bands. I like some records, I don't like others. But, for U2...I like anything they put out. I am just truly a U2 person.

I fear that this next album won't be considered as rocking and great as all these hard to satisfy people want because then I'm afraid it'll be the beginning of the end for U2. Not because they suck but because their fans do.:wink:

Anyway...I'm sure I'll like it and continue to wonder how anyone can be so hard to please. If you don't like U2, if you're a part-time fan...then so be it. But, don't blame U2 for it. :eyebrow: And I certainly hope there are more people who love U2 no matter what, than not...and that U2 won't listen to you.:wink: Basically, I hope it won't make a bit of difference, what you think. In fact, I hope their next album is wildly successful with or without you.

This was the first U2 album I bought. I loved it when it came out, and I continue to love this album. This album and tour made me
a fan! I immediately bought all their albums shortly after.

I really do not understand the fickle fans who don't grow and change with the band. I guess they're really not fans at all.

When the band grows that is. When they bland out and produce a mediocre album I dont have to like it because I adore the band. Sometimes crap things happen to good people. Fine if you like. And theres a lot of people who do. It doesnt mean the people who dont like arent fans.

I think John Depp is a very good actor, but 21 Jump street :no: Im still a fan though.

And no it wont make the slightest bit of difference to the new album what anybody in here thinks of U2, one way or the other.

I get annoyed when people say that someone isnt a fan because they disagree with someone elses opinion. We can have differences of opinion without insulting people personally.

Tis all opinion. Yours, mine, everyones.

Anyway, end of rant.

Edited to add: There are some U2 songs that even U2 dont like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom