Do We Have Any Evidence To Start Speculating On The Next Record? I'll Give It A Shot.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Well, I'll attempt to use some evidence, albeit miniscule. From the Spin article, Bono said a few things:

* some of the songs on ATYCLB were "too structured," and in some ways lacked what U2 can do really well -- ie, the slightly abstract things.

* that ATYCLB was an introduction to a whole new way of writing songs. That they want to pursue this new way (seems contradictory to the first point, doesn't it?)

* That he wrote a few new songs while in Bali, one of which was about his Dad. (This would probably imply rather peaceful, soulful music.)

* That they still want to write songs that are so good that radio pretty much has to play them.

What Edge has said:

*Though Bono wants to get right back into the studio, it never ends up that way. They have to record it over a period of time, and plug away at it.

* Wants it to be a guitar record.

So, what can we take from all of this? Given that the band are on fire right now, and have a lot of tour energy built up, I think there will be an interesting mish-mash between the tranquil ideas of Bono and the rawness of the guitar sounds that Edge wants to employ. I think these two forces, rather than extinguishing each other, will -- much like what happend on Achtung Baby -- take each other for a ride, and end us giving us an album that lifts the spirit, but does so very loudly. I think this is the album that combines joy with earnest punk energy. Kind of like Achtung Baby's in your face attitude, but with a much more optimistic result. Hope will permeate this new record (so, in that sense, it will be similar to ATYCLB), but sonically it will blow the roof off your head. The songs won't be as structured as ATYCLB, meaning there will be extra leeway and flexibility in the delivery, but the songwriting will still be crafted very well (think 'New Year's Day', for example). The music will give you the impression that it *could* go anywhere, but it will still have clear purpose and direction. The fact that they still want to write songs that will get radio airplay isn't necessarily a bad thing. 'One' is a song that radio pretty much HAD to play. That's what I think Bono means. You don't have to write in the same style as your contemporaries to get played. As long as it's stands out, and gets people grooving...

Will it be ATYCLB part 2? The easy answer is No, simply because U2 have never repeated themselves. However, there are many songs that were left over from ATYCLB that may be used. I would suspect, however, that they would be re-worked, changed, and made into something new. Will the new record be an extension of ATYCLB? Yes. But before you panic, if you really listen next time, you'll realize that Achtung Baby is an obvious extension of Rattle and Hum. It's not as much of a shocker as people make it out to be (I'm of course speaking of the attitude Bono started to take up during R&H, mostly lyrically but even musically -- think 'God Part 2' and 'Hawkmoon' for the most obvious). It's this attitude factor that will carry over. Bono has found something in the making of ATYCLB: a stubborn optimism. Look for this to continue, as it really is what we all need right now.

Just my 21 cents.
wink.gif

Anyone agree/disagree? Questions, comments, cries of outrage all welcome....

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 12-15-2001).]

It's going to be inspired by Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Hi Mikey,
I remember we had fun discussing this at length before ATYCLB came out.
I truly hope the guitar thing is right, you know what I think about all that hehe
I definitely agree about Rattle and Hum/AB.. sounds of The Fly and EBTTRT can be heard in songs like God Part 11.
I think atyclb was more of a theme record than a musical record, if that makes sesnse. Described as a soul record etc. Personally as you know, Im hoping for Edge to come thrill us again, not that he didnt on atyclb but Id like him to find another voice this time.

Let Edge do the talking again, Bono
biggrin.gif

mmm, I really don't think anyone in the band has any idea where the journey will lead them next

I do think you are right that we can again expect the same craftmenship as went into ATYCLB songwise
and it wouldn't be at all a surpise if they did try to go for more of a guitar sound (if only NOT to repeat ATYCLB)

but if I really knew this sort of stuff before it happens I wouldn't be here but on the stock market

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Michael,
You have made a very strong case with lots of supporting evidence. I have a feeling you are right. Reading this has made me all excited to hear the new album. I can't wait to see what the inspiration of the Elevation tour and all the experiences they have had since atyclb came out will bring for us.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

they shouldn't listen to any album

------------------
Salome

bullet, if you mean listening to zooropa as a reminder of breaking from the norms...well, I see your point.

but salome is right, they shouldn't listen to old albums to inspire them. fresh is the key.

but the idea of a little punk in their music, yeah, that would be cool.

something that caught my attention on this tour was songs from the Boy era: I Will Follow, Out of Control and 11 O'Clock Tic Tock (and they should've played Electric Co. as well...grrrrrrr
mad.gif
)

there's a certain amount of unrestrained energy in those songs that I don't think the band has really captured since that era. A little bit on War and Achtung Baby, and maybe even a couple of songs on Pop, but the guitar hooks from the Boy era are, dare I say, classic and something that Edge has never repeated.

I'm not a huge fan of Boy, but those songs life, mixed with a 2002 electronic/pop structure, might really be interesting. I'm thinking a full assault record. No real ballads, mid temp songs. Just a full-on in your face this is the way it is record would be amazing. I know that you can never go back, I'm not suggesting that. I just think that where U2 has em, not failed, but maybe missed, is a really energetic upbeat record. Even ATYCLB, which supposedly was about Joy, has a number of mellower songs. Pop starts with a blast, but then turns into a hangover. Achtung Baby and JT don't carry the energy the whole way.

They need to bring up the bass, drop in the drumming from Pop, the grit from Achtung, and the loud hooks from Boy and mishmash it into something new.

Edge needs to turn it up to 11.

(See, it goes up to 11....
Why don't you just make 10 louder?
You're not getting it, see, it goes up to 11 man...it's like, louder than ten [ok, that's not the direct quote from Spinal Tap , but you get the idea
biggrin.gif
] )

I don't know. Whatever they do, they need to find new sounds, new feelings, you know the story.....

------------------
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son. - Animal House.

Face it Flounder, you didn't throw up in front of Dean Wormer, you threw up on Dean Wormer. - Animal House

Don't worry folks, he's just a big dumb animal. - Tommy Boy

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
u2 dont care what u think
now, where is a crying smiley when you need it?

------------------
Salome

Bullet The Blue Sky,

While agree that the free-spiritedness of Zooropa would be great, I don't think U2 should go back at all. U2 have never gone back and repeated themselves. Even ATYCLB isn't the repetition everyone keeps saying it is. It's not exactly the Joshua Tree, like some reviewers like to preach. It's pretty much something that U2 has never done before. Let me explain it like this: After listening to The Joshua Tree, I am quite often compelled to listen to something like OK Computer, where as after listening to ATYCLB, I am more compelled to listen to, say, Rubber Soul by the Beatles. That to me, is a huge difference in those two albums. ATYCLB is the closest U2 has ever been to writing a classic pop/rock/soul record -- something they've never done before.

------------------
The Tempest

ATYCLB is a soul record like Bono always said that they would make(In a U2 style). Listen to 'Stuck' that song just drips soul. I realy don't think the new album is going to sound anything like ATYCLB but I do think it will reflect the feelings Bono is having towards what happend on Sept 11th and will have a more seriousness to it. Where ATYCLB revolved around letting go as to where the new album will be about holding on.

I would like for them to expand on songs like Elevation and New York. Really athmospheric hard rocking songs.

But to achieve that they'd have to work with Eno and Lanois again, but I don't think that will happen.

Maybe they could work with someone like Steve Albini. Or maybe Steve Lillywhite.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Yeah, I would LOVE for U2 to work with Steve Lillywhite again (every good mix U2 has ever had is by Steve Lillywhite, it seems -- 'Pride', 'Streets', WOWY, 'Beautidul Day', the list goes on...). Unfortunatley (or fortunately, if you're a Coldplay fan), Lillywhite will be working with Chris Martin and the boys for their next album. I don't know if he could swing both, but I digress...

On a side note, I wonder if U2 would ever produce their own album? Edge produced much of Zooropa (albeit with the help of Eno), but I think they've reached a point in their career now that they could produce their own work. Anyone agree?

------------------
The Tempest

I'm really looking forward to the next Coldplay album, especially now that i know Steve Lillywhite is producing it

the new songs they debuted from the Sydney show that are on the net have such great potential...

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:

On a side note, I wonder if U2 would ever produce their own album? Edge produced much of Zooropa (albeit with the help of Eno), but I think they've reached a point in their career now that they could produce their own work. Anyone agree?

Hey Michael...interesting thought. What I wonder is if they might bog themselves down trying to produce their own record ala Achtung Baby. True they were in a different position then, but I think that U2 needs others to come in and help them sort out their ideas and temper Bono's mad hatter personality. You might not get an album for 5 years again if they produced it themselves...Edge just doing overdubs for the last two years of production
rolleyes.gif

Ok, there's a bit of sarcasm in that statement, but looking at what happened with Pop, and really the way U2 makes records (I believe Bono referred to it as much like making sausages) I believe that they need someone outside to come in and work with them, even if they do have a clear direction of where they want to go.

On the other hand, maybe their previous experiances in the studio have taught them valuable lessons. The songs from ATYCLB are very "clear" songs structure and sound-wise. The band has been around the block in terms of types of song writing in many respects. Maybe they do have the ability to produce their own album.

Of the four of them, I think Edge has the most potential to produce another band's album.

This discussion has gotten me completely psyched for the next ablum.

Now Wanderer, what did you mean by this?

the new songs they debuted from the Sydney show that are on the net have such great potential...

Are you talking about songs from the Sydney Popmart soundchecks that I keep hearing about. Or were you being facecious?

Originally posted by popkidu2:
Are you talking about songs from the Sydney Popmart soundchecks that I keep hearing about. Or were you being facecious?

I think he was talking about Coldplay.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I can't wait to hear what's coming next.

I think the new album could be really good, as the band is very tight right now (it was heard in ATYCLB and the tour).

I think it will definitely be more rocking than ATYCLB (they said they have "leftovers" that didn't make it on the album), and i'm guessing it will be darker in lyrics. (Sep 11, Bono's father dying will surely influence the lyrics)
Also, it will probably be a darker atmosphere throughout the album. Maybe it will sound more raw, as they said they wanted to make a record quickly while the energy is still there.

Having said that, i'd love to hear more soulful songs like In a little while or Stuck. And i wouldn't mind an album sounding like AB or ATYCLB.

Michael: I agree that ATYCLB isn't "JT part two", though it has obvious sonic influences from U2's past-more than any other U2 album so far.
(Kite from 80's U2,
Elevation, New York and WILATW from 90's U2 and
BD is sort of a mix of 80's U2 - the riff and 90's U2 - the effects)

While i agree AB was "in your face", i don't agree ATYCLB is too. It's different - it's a very direct and very honest album. Where did you see the punk energy on ATYCLB? (except BD and Elevation)

I personally think that the 90's U2 "starts" with the 1990 charity song Night and day. Different singing to the previous U2 (Bono sings lower, you can hear how his voice changed due to pushing it on JT and R&H and smoking-plus the "ah ah ah ah" part in the middle), effects (additional percussion with a different rhythm to the drums) and an unconventional, haunting melody (even though it's a cover).
God part II and Hawkmoon (just like the rest of R&H) were more raw and a lot closer to traditional sounds of rock'n'roll than AB. ("i believe in love", "i need your love", the main ideas of GP II and Hawkmoon are nothing like AB) Actually, R&H is rocknroll U2style.
Sonically, Hawkmoon IMO reminds me of the B-side Hold on to love.

To say nothing of all the effects that were used on AB for the first time in U2's career ("whispery voice" on The fly, the "telephone voice" on Zoo station, all the echoes and layers on Edge's guitar, effects on Larry's drums, additional percussions.)
AB is a shocker IMO. It sort of goes against everything U2 were all about before that. Sonically, lirically, atmospherically.

------------------
"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things nobody one else can. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-16-2001).]

I want the new album to have...

screaming vocals from Bono that will shatter my windows...

Guitars from Edge that sound like a fighter jet at full throttle...

Drums from Larry that feel like my head is being kicked in to subtle beats of a heart...

And Adam's bass is so up there in the mix that it travels along the floor to tickle my testicles!
smile.gif

Originally posted by U2girl:
Michael:
While i agree AB was "in your face", i don't agree ATYCLB is too. It's different - it's a very direct and very honest album. Where did you see the punk energy on ATYCLB? (except BD and Elevation)
Actually, I never once said ATYCLB was in your face, and nor did I say has any punk energy. Where did you read this? What I said was that the new (as in the next) album may be the one that combines earnest punk energy with joy. It was the joy, and not the punk energy that I said was similar to ATYCLB. Read my post again.
smile.gif

I personally think that the 90's U2 "starts" with the 1990 charity song Night and day. Different singing to the previous U2 (Bono sings lower, you can hear how his voice changed due to pushing it on JT and R&H and smoking-plus the "ah ah ah ah" part in the middle), effects (additional percussion with a different rhythm to the drums) and an unconventional, haunting melody (even though it's a cover).
I agree that this *also* is a signal of what was to come, but most definitely not the first signal.
God part II and Hawkmoon (just like the rest of R&H) were more raw and a lot closer to traditional sounds of rock'n'roll than AB. ("i believe in love", "i need your love", the main ideas of GP II and Hawkmoon are nothing like AB) Actually, R&H is rocknroll U2style.
Sonically, Hawkmoon IMO reminds me of the B-side Hold on to love.
It's funny you describe God II as "raw" because that's exactly how most people would describe 'The Fly'. Remember, I said "lyrically" those songs were similar to Achtung Baby. Bono had already begun to experiment with juxtapositioning of ideas, and a kind of "list" lyric in song (check out both God II and The Fly to see what I mean). Hawkmoon also uses this juxtapositioning and listing down ideas in order to bounce of each other. (I could go more in depth here, but I have to go to work right now unfortunately. Maybe when I get home I can elaborate...)
AB is a shocker IMO. It sort of goes against everything U2 were all about before that. Sonically, lirically, atmospherically.
I totally disagree with your last sentence. I believe you can hear pretty much everything that U2 has ever been about in Achtung Baby. It's just packaged differently. I can elaborate on this later.
smile.gif

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 12-16-2001).]

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
Actually, I never once said ATYCLB was in your face, and nor did I say has any punk energy. Where did you read this? What I said was that the new (as in the next) album may be the one that combines earnest punk energy with joy. It was the joy, and not the punk energy that I said was similar to ATYCLB. Read my post again.
smile.gif

Oops! Thought you were talking about ATYCLB. My mistake.
smile.gif

I agree that this *also* is a signal of what was to come, but most definitely not the first signal.
It's funny you describe God II as "raw" because that's exactly how most people would describe 'The Fly'. Remember, I said "lyrically" those songs were similar to Achtung Baby. Bono had already begun to experiment with juxtapositioning of ideas, and a kind of "list" lyric in song (check out both God II and The Fly to see what I mean). Hawkmoon also uses this juxtapositioning and listing down ideas in order to bounce of each other. (I could go more in depth here, but I have to go to work right now unfortunately. Maybe when I get home I can elaborate...)

I need to elaborate too.
Yes, Bono uses "listing" things, but he did that before R&H too. Hold on to love (the repetitive "she is the..." way of the lyric).
What i meant by saying that GP II is raw is that the guitar (and the other instruments, or Bono's voice) sounds more natural, "cleaner" in terms of effects, echoes etc... than The fly. Not to mention the huge difference in the amount of guitar sounds on both albums.
As for *signals* : i'm not saying you were wrong, that was just my opinion.
Lately, i have this feeling that Bono used some of the lyrics on The fly just because they sounded cool, and not for any deeper meaning. It looks like he's just gathering statements.

I totally disagree with your last sentence. I believe you can hear pretty much everything that U2 has ever been about in Achtung Baby. It's just packaged differently. I can elaborate on this later.
smile.gif

Hmmmm...well, lyrically speaking, the biggest difference is IMO that Bono turns to talking about relationships more than before-and exclusively negatively. He has used that topic before, but he was never that negative. New topics are self-doubt, mocking the "stardom" status of 80's Bono, questioning yourself, the estranged, shallow 90's way of life... He has more comlex topics.

His lyrics can be interpreted in various ways more than in the 80's time.
Also, he does no longer use "i" as the subject of the song exclusively. You know what i mean? He changes the perspective. It's the other person that's the subject of the song (MW or So cruel, for example).

Musical differences are so obvious we don't need to discuss them. Just let me add that if JT was open, more extroverted, AB is a lot more urban, introverted in its sound.

And i think you'll agree AB has a more pessimistic, darker atmosphere than any of U2's albums in 80's.

Back
Top Bottom