Do U2 still have room for improvement musically and lyrically?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, there's always room for inovation. Have you heard about the more recent news? Well, everybody says that next Rolling Stones album (to be released this year or 2006) is exploring a direction that the band have never went through... And, Rolling Stones are the true kings of rock, they're around the block for more than 40 years... Come on, just stop to especulate... U2 have get higher than never before. Why there's always got to be someone to put the band's work down? What's wrong? I really don't get the point! I really start to thing that people that say that HTDAAB is another ATYCLB don't understand anything about music... There are obvious diferences, come on! Half of ATYCLB songs were initially basically composed on an organ or with synthetyzed components and then they started to arrange them with guitars. Go hear HTDAAB, and you'll notice that the composition is very different. Few songs followed the process of Pop or ATYCLB. And musically speaking, ATYCLB got back in his influences more than HTDAAB. They might sound similar in a cold listen, but they're quite diferent... So I really think that they got much to improve, even though it can always sound like... U2!

Hmmm, interesting thread and I have to thoughts on it.

1. Sure they can always improve and find new ways to bring their art to the masses

2. They have reached a point in their career where they have a signature sound and the songwriting is highly defined. Sort of a subconscious "auto-pilot".

They can break out of the current "cycle", but my feeling is they'll go one more album with this style. Right now it's about staying in the "time" and being relevant. I'm not sure they'll ever settle and ride their past. I think as much as they'd like to move on with other music, they like being the "Biggest" and "Best" band in the World.

Flying FuManchu said:
U2 always has room for improvement.

That pretty much says it all.

And I don't mean that in a snide way -- I would hope that any artist (in any medium) would be able to find ways to learn and grow constantly. For an artist to stagnate is to die.

I think U2 have added something to their arsenal over the years.

In POP, we could evidently see the new styles Mullen and Clayton brought forth to the table. We also saw a different kind of Bono lyric writing with his "polaroid photo" shot of Miami.

In ATYCLB, Bono greatly improved his phrasing and clarity of words. You can hear his lyrics better, unlike in other albums where he would just scream and then it would become not understandable. More of the acoustic b-stage flavor got to the songs like Kite and Wild Honey.

For HTDAAB, I don't find any marked improvement in technical skill or musicianship. It seems they are just playing to their strengths with the album. Perhaps a more commanding usage of the slide for Edge.

For the future, I'd like to see Bono write songs that have no first person or second person characters -- no I's or You's. He should have more songs about He's who he is talking about instead of talking to. He should have more storytelling songs, like Bon Jovi. I'd like the to Edge continue the repetetive ringing sound he is known for buy to try different strumming patterns - perhaps in a reggae like manner.

Cheers,

J

One thing that's frequently ignored that I think is very important is that Steve Lillywhite produced the last two albums. I know many people love Lillywhite's work, but I think he makes the recent U2 sound more glossy and produced than it needs to be. I was initially turned off from HTDAAB, presumably from this, but I really *really* like most of the songs. (All except One Step Closer, I really hate those lyrics)

On the idea of lyric improvement, I think even if thematically nothing new is covered, there is room for lyrical improvement. To take the example I just stated, One Step Closer has a compelling theme behind it, but lines like "around the corner from anything that's real" is so... infantile. bono can do better!

can u2 improve musically and lyrically?
by setting Achtung Baby as the yardstick then i would say no, that was u2 at their peak musically and lyrically. And i would be surprised if their next studio album (which i think will be their last) is better or even as good as AB, musically and/or lyrically.

Back
Top Bottom