do u agree with this Dave F quote? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2002, 01:12 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 02:01 PM
do u agree with this Dave F quote?

When he said:

'I tink the thing is with the POP album is that it starts off as a party and ends up kinda mean'

well, do u lot agree?

Old 01-08-2002, 01:14 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 01:01 PM
not really

Old 01-08-2002, 01:25 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Not really, really? Oh really?

ok neither do I , I would say its starts off that we all on crack givin it large, and ends up we fallin off our beds asleep and sound!

of course thats just me, and my imaginery crack....................Wanderer loant me it.......but I luv Wanderer, such an angelic innocent face of his......
Old 01-08-2002, 04:10 PM   #4
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:01 AM
I would tend to agree, i'm not sure if it's the thing about the album. the first 3 sogns are definately partyish, although a little deeper than one would expect fomr simply party songs.. and the alst two (please and wudm) could well be described as fairly mean.
Old 01-08-2002, 04:15 PM   #5
War Child

Who said this?!?!? I have the exact quote from Bono in the Popmart souvenier book!
Old 01-08-2002, 04:19 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Hello,

I prefer the Bono quote about it (which is almost identical, just worded a little different).
It's in the Pop tourbook, just after the middle (on the page with the Larry pics). 'Bono got to the truth of the matter: "POP starts out like a party record and then turns mean on you."'

I agree with the quote. Pop does start with some high energy songs (Discotheque, Mofo), but slowly gets darker and darker (with the turning point maybe being Gone). I mean, Please and Wake Up Dead Man aren't songs with a lot of light and hope in them. They do break down the party rush that starts the record.

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle
Old 01-08-2002, 04:25 PM   #7
Acrobat

To me,POP sounds like it doesn't know what it wants to be.....it kinds of jumps all over the place. I understand songs like Discotheque, DYFL, Mofo, Gone and SATS, but a lot of the other stuff sounds like random b-sides thrown together. Please was never finished right, LNOE should never have been on the album, let alone be a single, Miami (WTF?!?!), .... I still like the album very much, but I know that U2 could have made it an unbelievable album with just a bit more time.

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever
Old 01-08-2002, 07:04 PM   #8
The Fly

Local Time: 06:01 AM
That quote reminds me of something Bono said of the record, that POP was meant to capture the high of the times they were in, yet towards the end, really turns into an album about the hangover and hangups after wards.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:39 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by mad1:
When he said:

'I tink the thing is with the POP album is that it starts off as a party and ends up kinda mean'

well, do u lot agree?
Sound like Dave paraphrased Bono - 'It starts out as this party and then turns nasty on you'.

Yeah, fair enough comment. It starts out sounding like a club and ends with the sound of one man screaming at God. And a lot of radio babble.

------------------
"Once again
I'm in trouble with my old friend
She is papering the windowpanes
She is putting on a smile
Living in a glasshouse..."
Old 01-09-2002, 04:57 AM   #10
AM
Refugee

Local Time: 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoocoustic:
Who said this?!?!? I have the exact quote from Bono in the Popmart souvenier book!
Dave Fanning, hes really big in Ireland. Radio shows and TV shows. Hes been surporting U2 right from the beginning.

Maybe Dave is more refering to how the album was made. You know, in the beginning they just had fun messing with new technology and sounds, but towards the end with the tour aproaching and deadlines and all that stuff it all got pretty mean and tough for the band.

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01
Old 01-09-2002, 05:28 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by AM:
Dave Fanning, hes really big in Ireland. Radio shows and TV shows. Hes been surporting U2 right from the beginning.

Yep Big Dave, alright!

It was an interview he cut up with Larry and Bono, on 2Fm with tracks from the new album before it was released, I only have so much of the interview on tape and Larry and Britney Spears album was mentioned!!!!!!! (larry likes her album apparently ), and so Dave dove into this after er.....forgotten the song, this interview was Chrimbo/New Year 00/01 and what didnt rock was hearing tracks off the album before it was released.......I hate that as I like to be surprised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-09-2002, 08:45 AM   #12
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:01 AM
I agree with the quote, but I also agree with what SkeeK is saying. I'm not sure if I like considering the beginning of the album consisting of "party songs"...that makes them sound so throw away when they actually have, IMO, excellent lyrics. I understand that they have a good beat and would be something you could dance to at a club, but they deserve more credit.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."
Old 01-09-2002, 09:01 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick:
I agree with the quote, but I also agree with what SkeeK is saying. I'm not sure if I like considering the beginning of the album consisting of "party songs"...that makes them sound so throw away when they actually have, IMO, excellent lyrics. I understand that they have a good beat and would be something you could dance to at a club, but they deserve more credit.

Yeah, they do deserve more credit. I think the point is, the early tracks are part of the flow, part of the journey. I guess it's an edgy 'party' right from the get-go, really, but the uninitiated who have only the media blah about U2 going techno/disco, would be in for a major surprise.

------------------
"Once again
I'm in trouble with my old friend
She is papering the windowpanes
She is putting on a smile
Living in a glasshouse..."